Poll: How often do you encounter homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amoore658, May 19, 2013.

?

Do you encounter homophobia?

1. Frequently

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Often

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Moderate

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. Not often

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  5. Rarely-never

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. LesbianKitten

2. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Almost never encounter homophobia

3. bagginses

bagginses Guest

I guess you can say that I encounter homophobia often because I'm a closeted man. With other guys not knowing I'm gay, they tend to say a lot of offensive things about gays and seem to really want to stay away from them.

4. jdeb1992

Move to Ohio. Being homophobic is normal and even gay people accept some gay sterotypes as reality. Accepting homosexuality is weird. Ohio is just weird in general.

5. Pain

Pain Guest

Frequently--every time I go to my grandmother's house or interact with several uncles/aunts of mine.

6. Fiddledeedee

Rarely. There is a little bit at church/with my mum, but sexuality hardly ever comes up.

7. FruitFly

I think I encounter ignorance more than homophobia. Most people I meet may say things which could come across as homophobic, but 9 times out of 10 it reflects a lack of understanding rather than genuinely being homophobic. In some cases it's just that they do not agree with people acting on their homosexuality, and I do distinguish between people who think you should not act on your orientation and those who think it's perfectly okay to discriminate based on that view.

Given that I currently live in an area where people seriously believe you can "catch black" if you're in an interracial relationship, and no amount of logical reasoning will tell them otherwise, I do think their attitudes are just ingrained in a cycle of ignorance which no-one has ever seriously attempted to break.

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Never to my face. With the amount of working out I've been doing for the past weeks at the gym, I doubt that would happen.
    On the Internet yes. Cowardly ten-year olds like to talk big on the internet ya know :slight_smile:

Here's an example of today's generation:

[​IMG]

On the internet there is a lot of homophobia which is kept hidden in public due to their fear of being harmed. Even a twelve-year old can talk big on the net :slight_smile:

I lol'd so very much at the pic.

9. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends where I look. In everyday life, not often, but it happens. There are tons of right-wing religious fundamentalists who have no problem spewing vile and hateful comments towards gay people though.

10. Lewis

I haven't in a long time, but the other day, somebody that is an acquaintance of mine said something disgusting.

He pointed out a guy outside that was pretty camp and out there and then said the following: 'Look at that dirty fucking queer. Bet he had aids'.

I was disgusted by that comment and I won't talk to him again.

11. Trinitas

Trinitas Guest

I very seldom encounter homophobia. I suppose its just the type of environments I'm usually in, I think most people I find myself around are pretty open minded and accepting.

12. EyesNeverLie

Of course.
    No matter what part of the world you come from, you will always have those ignorant people.
    I still get stares when I hold my girlfriend's hand. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm not going to hide the fact that I love my girlfriend just to please them. I have never been harassed before but it can happen.

13. Gay and proud

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Luckily I don't don't come across it too much, but yeah, Homophobia Is used in my school. Well, I don't think that the people intend to cause harm, but they are careless! " faggot, Your gay, yeah you suck cock mate, that's so gay, gay lord" and countless others!

As a matter of fact, in history we're learning about Nazi germany and now onto the topic of the kinds if people they dispised, with Homosexuals being one of the others! Either way it was still fun to talk about us in jokey ways, which I thought was kinda pathetic after learning about the subject of tutore and nasty experiments we went through!

14. Slime

Living in France, I've seen a fair share of homophobia caused by the marriage equality laws, but apart from that I haven't encountered much homophobia apart from the occasional "fag" or "faggot" which really shouldn't be used as a term to describe gay people... or anything for that matter. I just don't see how gay equals crap in common language. Ooh, nearly forgot, I was assaulted by some anti-gay marriage supporters on the street recently asking me if I believed that a child should need a mother and a father to be normal. Needless to say I wasn't impressed...

#34 Slime, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  15. MixedNutz

Other then my boss using the word "fag" I'm conversation about what his 10 year old says while playing Playstation I rarely encounter it. Jersey/NYC are is pretty accepting

16. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Pretty much never. I came out when I was 12 around mostly bisexual people (out of school), and my parents aren't homophobic so they didn't mind. Well, my biological Dad is - I suspect - but he loves me for who I am anyway. I stuck around those friends until I was about 14 and everything started changing and people stopped hanging around so I stopped meeting up with people. Had a few smaller groups for a small while afterwards, but nothing much. After that, the next social group I went to was my LGBT Group that I still go to.
    Surprisingly okay in school about it (although I had big boots for the last two years, so no one bothered with me, I'm also very aggressive and boisterous), only abuse I got wasn't linked to homophobia. Too bad they never did much about LGBT though. Tried to get them to teach more about homophobia and related things, but they don't listen to students. Too bad.
    This turned into a long post, but yeah, pretty good place I'm growing up in, thankfully!

17. kumawool

Something I did cued off the stoners. They know I'm gay, and have asked. I told them to mind their own fucking business, and to my face they were like, "Oh man! It's cool!", but the chunk of pizza that came flying out of a bus that one day makes me suspect otherwise. ... Oh well, I'm not a target or anything, they generally treat everyone that blips on their radar like shit.

18. OutwardSmiles

I'm on iFunny, and even though that app has always been really supportive of LGBT+ individuals, recently, ever since the US is deciding whether or not to make gay marriage legal, there have been a few people here and there that post homophobic pictures or comments. In real life, though, I haven't experienced much. One of my close friends is being harassed online by some chick in our school ever since she found out he was gay though. She was hitting on him hard so he had to tell her and of course then she just got all bitchy about it: "You're going to hell," "You're committing a sin," the usual. She just wants his fabulous bod. :lol:

---------- Post added 21st May 2013 at 10:15 PM ----------

Of course I've heard people using "gay" as an insult though. A couple of my friends who knew about my mom were saying that for a while but they stopped once I asked them to. I don't think they even remembered that "gay" meant "someone who is attracted to the same gender." They just thought of it as a word. Another of my friends has been saying it though, and I've kind of been wanting to ask her to stop even though she has no idea about me or my mom. It's kind of amusing though because she's almost obsessed with the word and it's almost as if she doesn't even realize what it means.

19. teluphone

Very often. The reality really sucks over at the Asian countries

20. I hardly ever experience homophobia. Usually about once a month or two. That homophobia is usually uneducated people, so I usually school them.