Slang in your area

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayJay, May 8, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or us Dubs, Jackeens Lol :slight_smile:

2. JPC

JPC Guest

I can think of a few other names for Dubliners but I wouldn't want to offend you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :roflmao: I bet you could :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plenty of slang where I live, south west America, although none of it is really appropriate for a friendly environment...

5. GayJay

Hahaa i came across this one last night/yesterday morning when i got talking to a Irish lad in a club. Was attempting to say it in a Irish ascent but i failed miserably :dry:

---------- Post added 10th May 2013 at 02:31 PM ----------

I didn't even know most of these were slang, i use them that much i thought they were normal words :bang:

6. Candace

I know, it's totally WICKED. :lol: #bostonianssaythisIknow

7. Pain

Pain Guest

janky--Northwestern Ohio. It means "messed up" or not up to snuff. However, I've not once heard this before I moved to Ohio.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Acting the maggot He was just acting the maggot as usual - Behaving foolishly, annoyingly

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

That's true. Although it must be dying out cause I don't hear it too much anymore on a daily basis. The only slang I can think of is really the accent. I don't know how many times a week I have to tell my mother that kaa is the snake from the jungle book not the thing you drive.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    YES! I love this word. My boss used it one day at work and I now find myself using it all the time..

11. Awkward Balloon

So I'm from the Dublin area in Ireland, and there really are some unusual slang phrases used around here! :icon_bigg

Banter - having a laugh
    Moth (pronounced "moh") - Your girlfriend or boyfriend
    Beoir (pronounced "beyor") - Girfriend
    Flanter - Flirting/banter
    Knacker - Description for a person of the travelling community
    Deffo - Definitely
    Feek - To have sex with i.e (I'd feek him)
    Bang - Verb: To have sex with
    Adjective: Describing that of which is worthy of banging
    Fit - Attractive

There are many more but I can't think of them now :slight_smile:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    South Park is a fairly accurate representation of Colorado. We do, in fact, still say "dude" and "sweet" all the time. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

dude, yolo, yo, word, niggs, and ratchet.

14. AKTodd

Well, let's see here...

Alaska slang:

Cheechako - Old - originally meant a person newly arrived in the mining towns of the Alaska gold rush - later came to mean anyone newly moved to Alaska who doesn't know how things work yet.

Outside - Anywhere outside of Alaska

The Lower 48 - the continental United States (I'm going Outside to the Lower 48 this summer). This is usually said in tones normally reserved for going on an Arctic expedition combined with exploring a primitive and disadvantaged place. Alaskans have rather a high opinion of themselves:wink:

Cache - a small (or not so small) wooden cabin on stilts. Used to store food or other items where bears can't get to it (we actually had one of these when I was a kid).

Snowmachine - a snowmobile

Whiteout - a weather condition in which a combo of snow, fog, and lighting makes it impossible to separate the horizon from things that are closer.

Permanent Fund - Money paid to each Alaskan every year ($500 to $1200 per year depending on various factors) from interest made off money paid by the oil companies.

Mukluk - warm, furry boots, traditionally made from animal skin and fur - traditionally named by AK native peoples.

The Bush - Villages, mountains, and valleys you can only reach by boat or plane. That amounts to almost the entire state.

Mosquito Dope - Mosquito repellent

Breakup - The process by which all snow and ice finally melts away - but all at once. Real sloppy for about 2-3 weeks. For Alaskans, it means the end of winter and the beginning of tourist season.

Bunny Boots - Big, fat, white, rubber boots that keep your feet warm up to -65 degrees. But it really looks like you're wearing small boats.

Arizona Slang:

Snowbirds - People (usually elderly) who travel to AZ for the winter to get away from the cold and snow.

Monsoon - The big thunderstorms that come through during Monsoon Season aka Summer.

Swamp cooler - An early form of air conditioner that is still popular (or was when I lived there) in older homes or lower income areas. Works OK as long as the humidity is low. Doesn't work so great during Monsoon Season.

Virginia slang:

Y'all - you (singular)

All y'all - you (plural)

Bless your/his/her heart - This is said and either immediately preceded or followed by something terribly insulting or gossipy about the person/people being discussed.

Run around like a chicken with its head cut off - be very disorganized and chaotic

Older than dirt - old

More money than God - rich

Dumb as paint (or dumber than paint) - not very intelligent

Herding cats - trying to bring order to something that is really hard to bring order to

Yankee - anyone from a Northern state

Wifebeater - a tank top style undershirt worn as a shirt - often in a size or two too large

A minute - an undefined period of time that is virtually always much much longer than 60 seconds, sometimes measured in weeks or months

Random - an expression of (usually unhappy) surprise 'Well, that's random.'

Sweet Tea - Pre-sugared ice tea (VERY pre-sugared)

Come to Jesus (moment, meeting) - a very intense argument or discussion, usually resulting in the receiver being told exactly what they will or won't do and made to understand there will be severe consequences if they don't.

(Truth in advertising - I checked a website for some of these, but only posted the ones I've used or heard while living in the state in question).

Todd

15. Stoical

Hmm, I don't really hear "totally wicked" so much. Some more along the lines of "Kid, that's wicked awesome!' though. Or in RI, "I just had a wicked awesome idear!" :grin:

16. Red people= conservatives
    Killed it= ruined it
    Wife beater= ribbed tank top
    dope= great
    Like a boss!= awesome
    Slut= Prostitute/ whore
    Backstab= betray
    Not much slang. I don't know if I used more slang because I grew up with it LOL

#36 anthonythegamer, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013