1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pat Robertson: Gays Can Change, Just Like Rapists, Thieves And Murderers

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, May 8, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

Damn, i'm just gay. Who the hell said anything about being a killer, a thief, or a rapist?

2. Reptillian

The problem with the argument of whether any sexuality is good or bad is that there isn't any way to prove that it's good or bad. Why even bother arguing the point when there is simply no way to prove it?

3. eatsleepclimb

ok. I hate when people compare homosexuality, which is about love, to murderers, which is evil! It is a terrible analogy!

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Pat Robertson is still alive?

5. starfish

Hummm... Gays, Rapists, Thieves, and Murderers. Wasn't that a Warren Zevon song?

6. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Why doesn't he change being a dooshbag, homophobe

7. Mysz

S'what Megan's Law is for. I'm glad there isn't any law like that pertaining to LGBT, at least in progressive countries. "We are required to inform you that a homosexual has taken residence in your neighborhood."

There should be a law stating: It is henceforth illegal to be Pat Robertson. Doing so may result in fines up to 500 grand and ten years in jail.
    :slight_smile:

8. BornInTexas

He's comparing being gay to having the moral standard of a rapist or of a murder... Like...how is this man not arrested for spewing bullshit like this?

9. AKTodd

I actually live in the same urban area where Robertson's 'Christian Broadcasting Network' (CBN) and Regent University are located (Hampton Roads aka Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Newport News, and Hampton). In fact I've commuted past them every day for almost 10yrs now. I've worked with people who were students at Regent, my partner has worked on a film that CBN bankrolled, and I've been in the CBN studios once or twice as part of my past membership in a local professional organization.

Various thoughts:

a) CBN is basically a money machine for Robertson, although as he's gotten older and more out there, they tend to only roll him out on occasion and keep him under wraps for a while after he says something particularly stupid. We have accounts from various people of rooms in CBN where piles of letters containing request for prayers and checks are opened. The checks go to the bank. The requests for prayers go to the shredder (unread).

b) I've worked with students from Regent at my previous job. Some of them were rather strange, but some were really decent folks who had no problem with me being gay and who were rather embarrassed by 'ole Pat'.

c) I've visited the CBN studios. The people I met were rather...strange. They were just so 'happy! happy! HAPPY!!!' it sort of crossed the line into wondering where the mind control drugs were stored.

d) My partner did a film project with CBN and the folks he worked with were really decent people who didn't care about his orientation.

So basically it's something of a mixed bag. You have some people who are 'True Believers!' who take Pat's word as gospel truth. And a lot who just work there and hope he'll keep his mouth shut.

On a related note, at my last job I actually commuted past Regent on surface streets. During this period, Soulforce (a Catholic gay organization) or a similar group had a couple buses worth of people visiting Christian universities to talk about/debate homosexuality. They visited Jerry Falwell's Liberty University first and then headed for Regent. Apparently Pat decided he didn't want that and pulled some strings...

I was leaving work for the day and drove past the campus and it looked like they were prepping for a war. Cops everywhere. Cops in cars, cops on segways, the Virginia Beach SWAT team and (I learned later) the VB scuba unit (in case the gays tried an assault by sea?) were all there for the sole and only purpose of keeping two greyhounds worth of gay people from getting on the campus. My tax dollars at work (well not mine actually, I live in Norfolk). But plenty of people were not happy about this little adventure and the letters to the editor of our local paper were rather fun for a week or so.

My aunt (my Mom's brother's wife) is actually a big Pat Robertson fan and worked on his campaign when he ran for President some years back. She is one of two people in my family I am not out to. Because there is simply no way that conversation could end well.

Not that it would be the end of the world if I came out and effectively ended the relationship (I have little contact with her anyway), but I know she would immediately go and jump down my Mom's throat about it. My Mom is more than capable of handling herself in such a situation, but has enough on her plate without my aunt having religious hysterics at her. We've talked about it and mutually decided that in this case, ignorance is bliss (or at least peace and quiet :slight_smile: )

That said, if my aunt ever goes so far as to say something explicitly anti-LGBT in my presence I will out myself and give her a revelation she won't soon forget without the slightest hesitation.

Meh.

Todd

10. Emberstone

please refer to my signature.

11. Hexagon

Because the argument of whether or not someone should change is dependant on whether their state is bad or not. Anyway, I don't see why we shouldn't argue that. We develop a system of morality, and judge whether it is immoral or not. By my recongning, being gay neither hurts nor deprives anyone of their rights or freedom, so there is no reason for anyone to stop being gay.

12. SamAlex728

Excuse me for failing to understand why anyone is surprised by or even cares about anything that comes out of that dirty old man's mouth by now.

13. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right, because being gay hurts people like murderer, rapist and a thief. Those are all actions, being gay is a state of being. Lots of people are gay and have never had sex. Sex is what he and his supporters seem to have a problem with.

Sadly some people believe and follow what this moron says and make life miserable for countless GLBT people, especially kids. That's why good people need to know the terrible stuff he says so hopefully we can counteract it. If no one listened to what he says he wouldn't be a problem, but we're not there yet.

14. Hun

Hun

If the Bible is correct, then God will sort us out when we die. Why does he care so much to "save" us?

15. Music Heals

This man kinda disgusts me. I hope someday he, much like rapists, thieves, and murderers, will be able to change.

16. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some people just need a high five... in the face... with an shovel...

17. Emberstone

or up the butt with a chainsaw.

18. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He is terminally ignorant -- don't think there is any hope & I feel sorry for him -- so so blind to reality. Someone give him a cane during pride month. Yay summer is coming & attending my 1st pride parade. Don't usually do things like that, but ... meh, change is good once in a while. Don't wanna get stuck in a Robertson Rut.

19. Emberstone

he isn't terminally ignorant, he is willfully so.

pat robertson is about as christian as using the bible as toilet paper, which his rantings show he does. Pat Robertson is a man who uses stupidity of others to pad out his bank accounts. he plays to the stupid and hatefilled, and convinces them to send him their money, and they do, because they are stupid, and his hatefilled rantings pander to their lack of any real self worth, hence why they have to blame others (be it the jews, a popular robertson target, or the gays, robertsons psychosexual osbession.)

20. saraph

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So funny, because being a rapist, thief, and a criminal in general is a choice, but being gay is not. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    And God can't change criminals, that's why we kill them. =)