1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, May 6, 2013.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find discussions on substances rather annoying for two reasons.

Firstly, it has emotive responses that creates passionate sides within the debate, and this ultimately leads to the sides bashing each other over the head accusing people of 'government overreach' or 'promoting self harm' yadda yadda. When discussions always lead to that, it descends into this heartless discussion that is in no way truly objective and educational. It just becomes a series of ad-populist arguments and a battle on who can shout the loudest.

Secondly, it's full of misinformation. The reason my previous point said 'truly objective and educational' is because those who do attempt to refer to research and studies often do so with a very skewed agenda that only furthers their own narrative. It's similar to the way that the Family Research Council and other anti-gay organisations latch onto certain research that have found negative consequences of being gay etc. It's very selective.

The reality of a drug like Marijuana is that there's ample research to support it being harmful and not harmful, and there's not really much consensus because of this to take from it. As a result, those who support its legalisation will cite the studies which claim it to be relatively harmless to justify legalisation, whereas those opposed will cite the studies that indicate it may trigger mental health illnesses and have other negative impacts on your health.

My position on this has actually evolved since working at a substance misuse organisation as a Recovery Worker, so working with drug clients is what I do on a daily basis. As a result, I've come to the personal conclusion (i.e., not taking any sides within the wider discussional discourse) that the ban on illicit drugs is rather counter-productive to the work that I do, and forcing vulnerable people into an underground world full of exploitation and harmful substances is the most challenging thing to overcome when helping them. I've also come to realise that many of the clients that I have worked with who have died have been alcohol clients, and this applies for my work colleagues too. Alcohol is the biggest killer out of all the substances that fall into mainstream addiction recovery, and many organisations report that alcohol alone kills more of their clients than the various sub-categories combined that drug clients fall into.

However, whilst I feel that legalisation would help make it easier for addicts to obtain support, the lack of compassion given to addicts in wider society is something that annoys me, and this debate too ignores the wider impact of what drugs and alcohol do to people. When people become dependent on a substance, it is overwhelmingly because of community and lifestyle factors that are oppressing them, and their substance of choice becomes a coping mechanism for that oppression. On an environment like EC, many of us have (and continue to have) similar oppression within our daily lives, and because of that we're at risk of also turning to such substances as a coping-mechanism. In that regard, when somebody comes to me with an addiction, I honestly couldn't care less about the legal status of the drug they are taking. It doesn't bother me that Marijuana is illegal and that there are people on both sides frothing with anger that their agenda has dissent, because ultimately it doesn't matter. These people don't care if drugs are legal or not, as they'll get them either way. All that we do when politicising such issues is sideline the people who actually are affected by it daily.

I actually don't know where I'm going with this, but these were the thoughts floating around in my mind as I read this thread. There's a lot of passion for your own views, but the only time the victims of substances are referred to is when used as a way of highlighting the deviance and undesirability that addiction leads to. If the only concern people have for drugs is whether or not they should be legal then I'm afraid people need to remove the toilet roll from their eye and look at the wider picture. Whether cannabis is illegal or harmful is irrelevant. There are many clients within the young adults department who come in because of problematic use of Marijuana, and an addiction is easily developed when you take that substance because it seemingly offers you a release from problems in life, resulting in the psychological dependency. However, people can get a similar dependency on sugar, food, caffeine etc.

So yeah, I am personally in favour of drugs being legalised to take the burden off substance misuse work. However, if mainstream debate on this issue doesn't evolve in the forseeable future then I'm quite frankly scared about what educational understanding people will have if and when any form of legalisation does occur, and my experiences of people's understanding of drugs (and their views on it) indicate to me that substance misuse work is only going to become more demanded within society when we lack such holistic values when attempting to understand the complexity of human behaviour that causes people to take drugs or alcohol.

On that note, I'm tired so you'll all be glad to know I'm shutting up. :grin:

2. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Yes!!! They should Legalize it and tax it.

3. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If either way people, people are going to do it, I really don't care if it's legal or not.

4. Marijuana and Tobacco are both bad, and weed does have less damage on the body compared to tobacco. Even if we legalize it, it's just gonna have the same status as cigarettes. It's not like everyone is gonna smoke it as soon as it gets legalized. I support marjuana for medicinal use because the doses are controlled, but I wouldn't care in the case of recreational use.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Try watching The Union. That should change your opinion.

As for me, I would definitely try it if given a chance by someone I trust (but that goes for most things). It's nonsensical that it hasn't been legalized yet.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a gateway drug because it's illegal. They guys you buy marijuana from are the same ones who sell the harder drugs, and they want to get you addicted to a harder drug to make more money off of you.

Alcohol was a gateway drug during Prohibition.

7. Harve

Everyone should read Martin's post again. But I'd still legalise it. Is it even still illegal in Scotland/UK as a whole? I don't know if anyone gives a shit.

It makes my head/throat feel odd whilst I'm inhaling it but thirty seconds later and all that remains is a bad smell. As far as I can tell, it has literally no psychological effect on me.

8. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I actually really enjoy the taste and smell of weed. If you have really good bud, it tastes really smooth. And I think it smells much better than cigarettes, which I really cannot stand. They tastes terrible and their smell is awful.

9. NeatlyOrganized

Martin (didn't want to quote your whole post, and being i'm on a phone it's hard to pick parts) I really liked the way you organized your post, I agree and disagree with a lot of it, but it was organized well enough that the whole thing still held my interest, you've got many good points, and an interesting scope on the topic. Just sayin kudos.

10. Alexander69

Mariguana has carcinogens as well people! Putting anything foreign in the lungs can not be good lets all go breath a burning house! Woohoo! Same concept!

---------- Post added 7th May 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

I have never tried it and i never will! What ever age you start smoking it at you stay at that maturity level your whole life you can't mature past that. So I've heard..... And so I believe. I don't see why anyone would want to it smells HORRIFIC and it's the cheapest drug put there!

11. HeyAshley

every person who says it doesn't have a psychological effect never actually inhales. they just suck the smoke into their mouths and blow it back out. i'm not saying that's the case with you, maybe there are cases where it literally doesn't psychologically effect people but i've had 3 or 4 friends tell me that it doesn't effect them (they aren't smokers of anything so they've never inhaled) then i smoke them out & teach them to inhale and it's a whole different story.

but like i said, i'm probably wrong in your case. just thought it was worth a shot.

12. I only think whether it's legalized or not matters for people who actually want to smoke marijuana. I would never do it, and I don't encourage it. I know some friends that are starting to get into that, and I don't think it's cool, and whenever people try to tell me to join them, my answer is always no. I don't see it as beneficial, unless someone actually needs it for medicinal purposes, otherwise it's just no good. It just goes to show that getting high is just an action of being "cool" because for instance, there's other ways to get high, like there's online audio sound waves that can cause the same effects, but without the harmful substance, but yet you don't see people doing that. It's free and it's healthy, so why don't people just do that. It's the idea of doing something illegal that makes it seem dangerous which apparently equates to coolness. I don't care if it's legalized or not because it won't change the way I think of it. Maybe it's just me, but I think people just smoke marijuana to seem cool because whenever someone does it, they feel the need to announce it to the entire world, or at least the people I know do it. They'll do it, tell you they did it, and then try and convince you to do it as well.

13. agonizingnose

I think it should be legalized as you never see on the news: Stoned man kills 4 people while robbing mini mart."

14. Harve

Maybe I don't! The first time I tried it I definitely didn't inhale properly, but everytime since then I've either felt a headrush/slightly lightheaded, or an almost burning sensation in my throat (more pleasant than I make it sound though), or both. Those to me were signs that I was actually inhaling. Still no effect.

15. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you a real person?

16. Harve

I hope there aren't actually real people like this.

If we all lived out our alter egos, the world would be a pretty scary place!

17. Maryam

i know people that marijuana ruined their life. All they cared about was smoking their next joint but i also know people who it really helped them with their anxiety and severe ADHD. I think it should be legalized, but have restrictions like alcohol and tobacco

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a psychological perspective, the professionals that work with addicts do have data to support the idea that psychological/emotional growth tends to become frozen at the age at which drug use starts. I'm not certain if this is *any* drug use, or habituated/substantial drug use (I'd be inclined to assume the latter.) And what I've seen from working with addicts is... the addiction gets in the way of developing and maintaining basic life skills, everything to coping strategies, to effective communication, to decision making.

As for the legality issue... that whole discussion is sort of stupid in my opinion. There are lots of things that are legal that are unwise to do. Martin has a point that legalization would make some aspects (particularly the entanglements with law enforcement) easier to deal with when working with addicts, but legalization also sends a "stamp of approval" that sends the wrong message to a lot of people.

It's sort of a no-win. What we really need is a lot, lot more quality education... not insultingly stupid things like "this is your brain on drugs", but real-life discussion of the consequences, and hearing from people who've run into trouble. And, coupled with that, major spending on mental health services so that everyone who has a psychological issue for which marijuana, alcohol and drugs serve as a coping mechanism can get real help. That alone would make an enormous difference in the lives of a lot of people.

19. Pain

Pain Guest

Many commonplace things have carcinogens, including food you eat off of a grill. It's not really the 'same concept' as 'breathing a burning house(?)' because of a variety of things being burned, whereas marijuana, if sold honestly, shouldn't have much or anything added to it.

Cite your source for your 'maturity' reference. Some people, as I mentioned in an earlier post, use ganja in religious practices, (i.e., Rastafari). I think many of them seem quite mature. But, what's wrong with being a little immature sometimes? I think that's quite subjective.

"I also think pasteurized, processed cheese smells horrible--I want it criminalized. It's also very cheap to buy. We must end the practice of selling pasteurized processed cheese," is similar to your argument. While I don't know MUCH about the effects of ganja on the body, I have tried it a few times, and come off not feeling any different. In fact, I had a performance the net day, and did better than usual. If the two are linked, I don't know. But, as with all things, too much of it would certainly be harmful.

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Grandma started smoking at eleven.. I'm pretty sure she's more mature than that. You don't do drugs. Cool. Some people do. Cool. I don't really think you're in a position to judge.