1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life alone

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, May 1, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made a decent supper in my new apartment for the first time tonight. I moved in on Saturday, but I pretty much had to buy everything one needs in a kitchen to be able to use it properly, right down to the garbage can...

It's one of these older apartments that come with gas stoves. For those of you who've never cooked with gas, I can tell you it's awesome, it literally takes one fifth the time to get the pot or pan hot and it just works better for cooking. I have kept my grandmothers old "revere ware" copper-bottom pan and Dutch oven, I think these things will last until my grandchildren can use them. It was nice seeing them on a gas stove again, just the way my grandmother cooked with them so many years ago.

I have basically, and quite suddenly reverted to the single life I used to enjoy for 8 years before getting married. I do not find it lonely or depressing, I enjoy solitude and I look forward to getting reacquainted with the things I used to enjoy doing on my own before marriage put a stop to that (marriage shouldn't do that, in theory, but it does all too often, unfortunately).

My kids are OK and my wife is for the first time contending with the garbage can that gets knocked over by the racoons...her problem now, and I really don't care. I am still really angry with her for the constant insults and heckling, right down to the moment I had to say goodbye to the kids...

I have already started with the dating game, I have a couple of tentative dates already, we'll see where it goes...

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yay greatwhale!(!)

3. Eric1962

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Best wishes in your new place. I'm still living with my wife and child, but we've discussed my leaving. Scary to think of being on my own. I'll follow your postings to see how it goes.
    Eric

4. catatonie

Gas is great.
    You can cook your lonely bachelor meals-for-one even in a power outage
    haha
    ah the single life :slight_smile:

5. Hefiel

Good luck with the dates :wink:

6. Ticklish Fish

good luck with tentative dates!

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the well-wishes folks!

8. LateRobert

Good luck with your new lease on life. Looking forward to seeing your updates on it all

Robert

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome to the bachelor life my friend & all of it's fringe benefits, congratulations on getting your sentence commuted, because that is what a loveless marriage becomes & you my friend got parole, spend your new found freedom wisely :slight_smile:

The adventure begins :slight_smile:

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you are adapting to your new life (or old life again?). Good!

I've thought it would be interesting to try cooking with gas. (NOT cook something that GIVES gas!) At one point, I even toyed with the possibility of just getting a small single burner stove that could also be used for power failures.

Revere Ware is supposed to be quite good. One word of warning, if you didn't know: ideally, it's handwashed, not run through a dishwasher. (Cosmetic problems with the handles.) This may not be an issue--cheap apartments often don't have dishwashers. But it's something to consider for the future. Although I suppose one could slap on a condom before running it through. Also: the best Revere Ware (which you might have given the age) is supposed to be the stuff that says "Process Patent" on the bottom.

---------- Post added 1st May 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

Also, while thinking of pans: there's a lot to be said for the old fashioned cast iron pan. A pain to maintain, in some ways, but it'll outlast your children's children's children's children's children.

11. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Love my cast iron pans!!!!! Great for oven or stove.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And also, some might say, bashing some sense into homophobes!

13. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good for you mate!

And I couldn't agree more about using a gas cooker - though my bf would argue I never go in the kitchen to know the difference!

14. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad you made finally the big step and put things to their place.Welcome to the adventures and benefits of single life.Have fun and enjoy it to the maximum.
    Really happy and proud of you!

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Cast iron is easy to maintain. Cook with a little oil, put water in it when done while still hot, quick rinse under tap, give it a spray of Pam wipe and put away. The trick is that water while still hot. Given the choice of stainless or cast I would pick cast.

Congrats on single life.

16. EddyG

cooking with gas is great! Congrats on the move, sorry to hear about the hassles from the spouse.

I'm thinking of making that move sometime, though my wife wants me to stay. I'm not planning an immediate move -- combo of finances and that I love our house and yard, want to be here with the kids when they're home from college this summer, and also my wife has asked that I not leave immediately for her sake which I'm okay with. But I feel like I'll have to make that move -- hopefully someplace very close by. Hard to imagine/think about, I'm still in the process of exiting the straight husband person I built up over a couple of decades, though I have no regrets coming out...

BTW love Montreal, very cool city!

17. JPC

JPC Guest

Good for you! I'd give anything to live in a space that was completely my own. It all sounds great except for the gas cooker :lol:... I have one in my current apartment and I always burn everything when I cook with gas, suffice to say I've become heavily dependent on my microwave.

18. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Greatwhale is now truly "cooking on gas" .. as the saying goes !!!

19. Italy or Bust

I also moved into my own apartment on Saturday! I have a list of things to buy that include things like toe nail clippers and wastebaskets. Got my good cookware too, though I'm stuck with electric for the moment.

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! I just bought a wood cutting board instead of the usual plastic ones, it's bamboo and I've read some creditable research indicating that wood cutting boards have less bacteria than the plastic ones, there's something about the wood that kills off the nasty bugs...

Have fun setting up!