Does Fear of Homophobic Violence Influence How You Dress and Act?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Does fear of homophobic assault influence how you act and dress in public?

1. Yes, I change how I dress and act in public to appear straight out of fear of homophobic violence.

44.4%
  2. No, I dress and act however I feel I want to and am proud to be seen as queer.

55.6%
  1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

True. I suppose if I were to go out and buy a bunch of guy clothes I could just pretend I was like the biggest dyke ever but I don't know- I live in a pretty liberal area so I think it's really just my own nerves talking...

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well that is true. Not only is it far more acceptable in society for a girl to dress masculinely than for a boy to dress femininely...but a butch manly lesbian is probably generally thought of as actually being tougher than a straight girl, whereas a feminine gay guy is going to be thought of as weak and an easy target.

Plus the dumbass straight men who are most likely to cause violence on the street are more likely to have a problem with gay guys acting femininely while they generally just think of lesbians as "hot" or whatever.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, I carry a dagger because of my fear of homophobic violence.

None of this is to say that I'm not proud of being seen as queer. I love being queer, and I want other people to know it. I'd just prefer to be only queer and openly armed.

4. Luke Matt

No, because I guess I dress like any other 20 year old heterosexual guy? I doubt you'd be able to tell I was gay just by looking at the clothes I'm wearing.

5. MixedNutz

In my area it doesn't phase anyone. I see gay guys waking down the street on a regular basis.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really. I dress and act the way I do because that's who I am, but if we want to get stereotypical, I can't stand tight clothing, jewelry, or flashy colors, since they make *me* uncomfortable. I'm not naturally extroverted, flamboyant, or easy to approach, and honestly think most people feel uneasy or indifferent around me.

I'm still considered less than traditionally masculine, especially considering my area is mostly lower class young black and Hispanic men heavily into that whole 'hood culture', so no shortage of homophobia or sexism here.

7. eatsleepclimb

Not so much because of violence, but because my parents would never let me dress the way I want...

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't really "blend in," so no. It doesn't influence me at all. I live in pretty rural Ohio right now, but my campus is LGBT friendly and my internship is as well. I don't ever really venture anywhere dangerous and even if I did I know I'd be able to handle myself. Once you've had a 6'5" tatted up convict straight out of a legit prison get an inch away from your face and threaten to throw you off his front porch, everyday people don't really scare you much anymore. That happened during my internship, and I laughed in that guy's face. I dress however I want. Sometimes that means bright colors. Most of my clothes are tight because I have a pretty good body and I like to show it off because I worked hard for it, and even harder to maintain it. So...yeah.

And I'm a week away from moving to one of the gayest cities in the US. So, I'm going to care even less about it once I'm there. I hold hands with my boyfriend when we go grocery shopping. No shame, at all.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well, different places have different standards. I'm not sure how things are in Australia, but outfits that straight guys would regularly wear in Europe or Asia would get someone made fun of as a homo in the backward U.S.A. When I was in Europe we saw lots of guys wearing tight pink clothes and jeans and carrying purses- and the other Americans I was with made fun of them mercilessly.

For the record, at least in my case, I'm not talking about walking around wearing a frilly pink dress and high-heels (nothing against those who are into that), just a pink-white-and-blue Hollister shirt and hoodie, purple skinny jeans, pink Converse high-tops, and a blue-and-white shoulder bag. And oh yeah, a white rainbow-studded belt.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's not that I'm actually dressing as a girl, I just like dressing in tight clothing and bright colors. :newcolor:

10. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No...but thats because I just wear standard Jeans & a regular T-shirt anyway since thats what I like wearing (anything tight is far too uncomfortable, & I don't care for the colors pink or purple LO).

---
    That said, it would be kinda cool to have some sorta rainbow-ish t-shirt to wear to a pride festival or whatever (but in reality even saying I went to one of those events, I'd never risk wearing it...because I'd still have to drive from where I live, to the train station then take that into the city...)

#30 SimplyJay, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  11. Eliza

Eliza Guest

I picked "no." I have acted less queer to avoid danger in the past, but not recently.

My partner and I often argue about the best way to respond to violent homophobic behavior. I believe in standing up for myself; I'm like, "You can't become a victim if you don't act like one." She believes in not reacting; she's like, "There's no use escalating the situation." I think the sad fact is that there's nothing you can do, really.

12. redstormrising

I live in a pretty accepting area, so I act and dress however I want. I didn't vote yes in the poll because I do not identify as queer and will never let anyone refer to me as such.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I originally said "gay", but that was not inclusive of all the different colors of the rainbow, so I changed it to "queer" at the last second as a catch-all because there's no room in the poll options to write out all the different orientations and identities- the options have to be kept short. That really wasn't the point of the poll, I wasn't trying to label anyone, you can substitute whatever you want in that line.

14. worriedWardrobe

I do not! I am me, and no one can change that

15. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

No. I have always dressed a bit weird and out there and I dont care what people think. However when it comes to wearing less clothing to look a bit more 'sexy' I find I feel very uncomfortable in it, so I avoid wearing sluttier clothing to avoid sexual harassment and violence. Its a pity because sometimes I wanna show skin without being whistled or gawked at :/

16. kraftykrow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    NOPE! Although you can't really tell I'm a into women by how I dress. I do just like a tomboy though so some people tell me that suspected it before they knew. I like to wear my rainbow bands and such though. One of my lesbian friends said I walk like a lesbian. :lol:

It is much harder, I think, for men in this area to be openly gay. I remember in high school it was really rough sometimes for my openly gay friends to be accepted. A boy a few years ahead of me was refused his senior prom because he came in a dress... I also remember the cheerleader girls a grade under me in my gym class flipping out once because they found out one of new cheerleaders was bi. "I don't want her touching me and feeling me up!" -_-

It always amazes me how some straight people like to assume all gay people want EVERYONE. They are really just giving themselves an ego boost cause by saying, "I'm so hot even gay people want me.":bang:

17. i put yes because occasionally i put on something and then im like yeeeeah i look too gay lets change, so i do and then i go out. but then also the same can be said for if i am wearing a skirt and i think its too short. :|

occasionally i go out looking a little less femme and feel like all eyes are on me because they can tell because im not wearing a skirt or dont have my hair down e,t,c :|

18. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a Masculine Gay Guy, I don't fit the stereotype of acting Gay, so I just act as me & nobody presumes I am Gay, the clothing issue is another matter, since coming out to myself, I always wear 2 Rainbow Gay Pride Bracelets.

Yesterday I wore a pink shirt to work, my attitude has changed, I am in the closet, but if people want to deduce that I am Gay from what I wear, then, in the words of one of the Beatles songs "Let It Be". :slight_smile:

19. JPC

JPC Guest

Up until today I would have said no because I'm very much straight acting, but I went shopping this morning for something to wear to a party that I'm going to tonight. There was a t shirt that I loved and really wanted to buy, but there was quite a bit of pink in it (I usually hate pink, but this looked good) and I didn't want to raise any eyebrows amongst my friends so I put it back and bought blue instead. I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of violence, I'm perfectly capable of defending myself, I just don't want to have to listen to people muttering "faggot" or something like that.

20. i wear some things that could be considered 'slightly inappropriate' but i dress it up. i wear short skirts a lot, but i wear opaque tights underneath and blazers so i look sort of smart lol. its how you act aswell, people wont instantly think 'omg she wants attention' its the way you carry yourself and act. if you were wearing what i wear and you were being loud and hanging all over boys and flirting 24/7, wearing no tights/fishnets and bending quite obviously over in front of guys so your skirt might ride up or so they can look down your shirt then people may think yeah she wants attention e.t.c. but im the quietest person ever so people can tell its just my choice of dress. i get a few looks occasioanlly but thats just cuz i have long legs for such a short person :|

just go for it. :slight_smile:

*that was really stereotypical i know butttt i was just saying an example, no offence if you act and dress like that its totally fine. was just trying to sort of explain its not just what you wear that can attract attention :|