1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should I expect this to take?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jazzhands, Apr 29, 2013.

1. jazzhands

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents more than four years ago, when I got into a serious relationship, and they still think this must be a "phase." It's exasperating. They took a full four years to agree to meet my girlfriend and they still see me/call me less than they used to. (I live in a different city.) When I told them that my girlfriend and I are getting married, it took my mom several weeks to muster up a "congratulations."

I understand that most parents need time to adjust - mine are pretty old-fashioned and churchgoing, and certainly never imagined I might be gay - but I'm wondering, I guess, whether there's still a chance they'll come around, or whether they're a lost cause, after being given four years.

Also: any advice on how to get through to them that 1) This is for real, and 2) They're hurting me by trying to ignore it?

2. poppy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maby you should try talking to them about it but im sure they will come round eventually I meen you getting married they can't ignore that.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible they might still come around, but after four years I wouldn't hold your breath.

4. jazzhands

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried to have serious conversations with them at various points over the last four years - the key message being, this is jeopardizing our relationship - but little action seems to come of it. Agreeing to meet my girlfriend was a big step, but it's not like we're getting together regularly at all. I guess I'm just curious how long other people have waited for their families to come around.