1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Washington senators try an Anti-Gay bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by paperyostrich, Apr 28, 2013.

1. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the humour in this article, but on the whole, it's quite disturbing, especially the comments made.

Here in Washington state we have a kind of schizophrenia in our politics, delineated by the Cascades. On the West side is the blue Washington you all know and love: progressive and multicultural. But on the East side of the mountains, it’s GOP-a-pa-looza. Spokane, the Tri-Cities, Wenatchee… red as a baboon’s back side – and often about as bright as the same.

Some of the state senators on the bab…er, red side have written up a lovely little bill – SB 5927 – that would allow people to discriminate against gays because they sincerely hold the religious belief that Jesus hates the gay. You read that right: the bill would make it lawful for Christians to discriminate against gays. So when Anna Minard of The Stranger wrote about a reader’s experience with one of the bill’s sponsors, it was a real eye-opener.

Jay Castro, the reader, called the office of one of the bills’ sponsors, Sen. Mike Hewitt of Walla Walla, to ask about the senator’s sponsorship of the bill and register his displeasure. He spoke with a young man on Hewitt’s staff and asked him a simple question:

“What are rural gays supposed to do if the only gas station or grocery store for miles won’t sell them gas and food?”

The staffer, obviously unaware of the concept of apartments, told Castro:

“Well, gay people can just grow their own food.”

Um… that’s jaw-droppingly crazy. What kind of person would, in this day and age, expect an entire swath of the state’s population – much of them on the West side – to grow their own food? What about eggs and milk? Are they supposed to keep chickens and a cow in their studio apartment? And why? Because some people want to be able to discriminate against them with impunity. Castro, too, was amazed and asked the staffer for his name. He was then hung up on.

So Ms. Minard decided that she’d try to find out if and why someone in a government office would say something like that to a constituent. She dialed up the senator’s office and spoke with a young man there who, when she asked about the bill, told her to contact the state GOP office.

“Then I asked him about the conversation Castro had just had with someone from that office. Did he have any comment on that? “I don’t know about that,” he said, and hung up the phone. When I called back, someone picked up the phone and then hung it up again. Same thing when I called from another number.” (source)

So she published the office phone number. In The Stranger, Seattle’s number one weekly. I’m pretty sure that staffer has been VERY busy this week. Just wait until next week!

This bill won’t pass. The votes are not there and the senators from the West side will kill it. But it’s indicative of just how far the folks on the East side are willing to go. If you follow the link to the bill’s page you can leave a comment. There is no requirement that you live in Washington to do so. Have at it.

2. Nyanko

Some people are just so stupid, I swear. There's already discrimination going on, passing a bill like that wouldn't change anything but make it legal. I'm glad it won't.

3. BornInTexas

4. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, and prehaps they're trying out some wierd aspiration for parts of urban Washington to become large city farms :/

5. Nyanko

I don't see why they would have to go about it like this if they were. Again, stupidity at best.

What I want to know is how this would work if it did pass seeing as not many people go around screaming their sexualities. It's a waste of time IMO. It's like they're going to require a test before you can shop at the grocery store.

6. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's the things about these laws. Most of the time there's no way of 'telling' if someone may be a homosexual or not. Just by that, the law becomes virtually useless.

7. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lived on the west for my whole life, and now live on the east side (The baboon's-ass side). I haven't noticed any blatant homophobia in every day life, only in politics.

Thankfully the state is turned blue by the majority of the population and nothing like this will ever pass. Going form approving gay marriage to approving THIS? not likely haha.

8. Ticklish Fish

link please? xD

9. Emberstone

it is the same way with oregon. the state is blue becuase the vast majority of its citizens are in the more urban areas clinging to the i-5 corridor, but if you go past the cascades, you are in redneckapaloza. my dad is from eastern oregon, and his side of the family was republican until reagen when they started all going independent, and most now are democrats; their views have not changed, they were always more progressive, but the republican party just became more racist, and in eastern oregon, racisem is still a problem.

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we just break up Eastern and Western Washington? Maybe combine the Seattle area with the Portland area and make a new state of it? Bleh.

Luckily the US is progressing enough socially that hopefully Spokane will eventually swing toward the blue side on social issues, given ten years or so. Then there's just the < 10% of the population in between the two pop. centers....

11. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Might get out of the Senate possibility, but doubtful. I know it will not pass the House

12. If you want to go that route, why not just join the western part to California? My home state could use use the influx of not stupid, and coastal Oregan and Washington would fit in with Northern California culture pretty well.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Sounds good, let's do it. And while I'm at it let's just go ahead and annex Eastern Montana into North Dakota. Never understood why Billings on eastward counted anyways...

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Actually the entire West Coast is pretty much divided between mostly liberal urban and coastal areas, and a mostly conservative Republican rural interior. If you divided all three states longitudinally you could have a progressive utopia along the actual Pacific Coast, containing Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and all the land in between... and a right-wing backwater state made up of the eastern interior of WA, OR, CA.

[​IMG]

15. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The irony of this is that Jesus never said he hated gays. oops

16. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my professional opinion is that progressive people love living by the ocean, and conservative hicks prefer living in swamps and palouses.

17. starfish

Only if you call it Portlandia.

In a state that just passed Gay mariage, this has a snows balls chance of passing. Stuff like this is just attention whoring on the account of some desperate politicians.

18. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dosen't the state have anti-discrimination protections against LGBT people anyway, which seems to be the norm for countries/states with same-sex marriage?

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ It does indeed, thus my making fun of this bill by suggesting the unlikely convergence of the more liberalized coastal pacific areas into a new separate state. :lol:

20. Emberstone

people have tried. There is a movement in Eastern Oregon to break away and form the state of Cascadia.

There also was a movement led by a sociologist (or something like that) to break western washington, oregon, and california away, and form its own soverign nation called Ecologia. it was going to be a green-centric nation, and thanks to the fact that the western seaboard is a economic and industrial powerhouse, containing some of america's most successful non-oil based buisnesses, we would surpass the rest of the united states in GDP.

neither proposal has gained steam.