1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video: Hetero growing up in a homo world.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by funkeln, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cried watching this video because it is so sad that people would rather kill themselves then go to school because of intolerant people. I think it is a very sobering short film showing what it would be like if the roles were switched, so many straight people could see what it is like to be a gay person and have to put up with this. Luckily I have never had to self harm myself or have any of this happen to me, but it is sad that other people who are less fortunate than me have to put up with this constantly. This video is also so well put together. And also give that little girl an Oscar because she definitely deserves it!

2. Jared

I finally got around to watching this and it made me cry, it reminded me a lot of my high school experience and home life.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched it, thought it was really good. I might share it on Facebook. :frowning2:
    I think if homophobic people were capable of feeling just as much empathy for gay people as straight people they wouldn't be homophobic. So therefore, I think this is a good idea to help them understand what it's like.

4. Devious Kitty

I personally think flipping it is a quite good idea. There are already plenty of videos of essentially the same thing but about someone who is gay instead of straight. Its a new perspective that should make some people actually think about it. Flipping it reminds people that we are talking about real people here and that your sexual orientation isn't really that big of a deal. Who should really care if the girl is straight? What harm is there? Rather than people simply demonizing and ignoring the video, it might actually make them think for a second since the table is flipped. It's basically a message saying "put yourself in their shoes for a minute."

Sure some people might try to make it out as if this is propaganda or this is what will happen if we let homosexuals get married. However these fairly crazy individuals aren't exactly the target audience I don't think. They are going to say basically everything that homosexuals say is propaganda. After all: "Homosexuals aren't really bullied like this in schools." "They wouldn't have this issue if they would just accept Jesus and stop being homo." And let's not forget my favorite crazy (but semi-unrelated) quote "If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

5. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    This is... beautiful. :tears: I cried at the end, it was just so powerful. I just can't believe the obvious facts of people not going to school or cutting themselves to death just because of their sexuality and Bullying. Bullying's more sinful than just being yourself.

On a side note, I wonder if there's a way I can casually get my teacher to show this in class...

6. magic

my teacher showed this to my class in a lession about homophobia and it was so strage to see the most homophobic guy in the class become speechless (he never shuts up) although after the class saw this a few of my friends said some homophobic things about it.

the first time i watched it i cried so much because its so much like my school was and also that i have had serously thought about ending my life in the past.

7. Techno Kid

I think it was a really smart idea to flip it around. Very sad movie though. :frowning2:

8. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Honestly...I thought it sucked.

I will explain why it sucked but please make sure to read the final paragraph of my post.

The reason I think it sucks is because it's obviously bad propaganda. It's worse than a Michael Bay film. Also, the 'gay' people in it don't behave like anything people would recognize. Sad but true.
    The whole 'breeder' thing is so unbelievably weak too. It's far far too simplistic.
    It's just a badly made film. Way too obvious. It comes across as less a powerful message, and more a gay fantasy land.

---------------

What IS helping me to understand what you guys face and your issues, is actually talking to you. Getting to know you.
    It's not this cheesy film that touched me. It's you guys. Your real stories. I read some of the threads, and I feel hurt. It's genuine. It's real.

Just my opinion. I came here to learn, and I am - thanks to you.

9. fortheloveoflez

I agree.

10. Bright Eyes

I found this film very touching. However I can see how someone could take it the wrong way and say it's evidence of the " Gay Agenda" or

11. Naren

I agree that it was a bit overdone, but it does have a real message.

12. MyChemRomance

Oh, yes! I wantched that video a few months ago!

13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this thread is old and I still hate this stupid video so fucking much

14. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to lie, after reading this, I agree wholeheartedly. I watched the film way back around the time it was made, and I'll admit, I nearly cried, but I agree that it wasn't fair that they used a straight character as the oppressed and a gay society for the oppressors. The intent of the film was great, but I don't think it gets the point across clearly enough when it takes our experiences and gives it to the people that oppress us. I also am worried about the fact that, well, some really ignorant chumps are going to take it as an "oh my god, this is what will happen if gay people rule the world" film kind of thing.

The film itself was really powerful and emotional, though. I genuinely haven't watched it since the first time I saw it since it touched my heart that much. It kind of exaggerated some bits, I think, but it did really show what it was like to be oppressed. I think it could've turned out absolutely wonderful if it just switched around the roles; a lesbian main character in a straight society, to show what it's truly like and to keep our experiences intact.