1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who can drive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Can you drive (legally)?

1. Yes

69.9%
  2. No

20.4%
  3. I'm learning

9.7%
  1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I drive, but not often, having no car and being unlicensed. My story goes something like this: took driver's ed, passed written test, and was scheduled to take the driving test that year. Waited, drove here and there, didn't feel confident in my skills, so eventually surpassed the period where the permit was still valid until it expired, and had to take it again, before the driving test. Basically, I've been dragging my feet since then while practicing where I can... again, I live at home and don't have a car of my own, and the only two left are always in use.

2. Hexagon

I died. Many of the comments annoyed me though :/

3. Harve

The sexism and Protestant/Catholic comments were sadly inevitable. Such is the internet.

4. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I can :slight_smile: I like driving.

I almost sold my car when I lived in the city though, but now that I've moved, I'm sure glad I didn't!

5. BornInTexas

I'm a decent driver, but I don't really like it. I have my liscense, and if I go somewhere my bike can't go, I'll take my car.

I love riding my bike and walking, rather than driving. Although, air conditioning is pretty nice...something I don't get with bikes. D:

6. FruitFly

I have a huge mental block when it comes to driving an automobile, a mental block that has only gotten worse following a few road accidents. Technically I can drive, and technically I'm a good driver, once I get over my hyperbolic "THIS IS A TIN CAN OF DEATH, DON'T MAKE ME GET IN IT" reaction.

I'm better at driving a horse and cart.

7. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never needed to learn how to and I really have no desire to. Whenever Im in a car driven by someone who is not a taxi driver, I feel nervous.

I dont trust most people to drive a car and Id never really want the responsibility that I think comes with driving a car.

8. Eliza

Eliza Guest

Yeah, I'm almost thirty and I just learned. Partly because I'm an opinionated hippie, but I didn't learn in high school because my parents were super religious Christians who thought that if they gave me the tiniest scrap of freedom I'd use it to run off and go to rainbow parties and get teen pregnant. :rolle:

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like riding with professional drivers...but not all of them are good. There are times I've gone on a bus someplace. One route has known drivers (I've ridden enough times), and I feel comfortable. But when a sub comes in...it can be scary. I remember at least one time when there was nearly a crackup....

10. Ivyleaf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got my licence when I was 18. Wow, now I feel kind of old. Oo°

11. vyvance

Pretty much have to. Its that or walking, and it would take far too long to get anywhere walking. There is zero public transportation here.

12. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have driven cars before, just not legally. But when I get my licence and my first car which will hopefully be a 4x4, I am going to go around Australia.

13. evora

I'm too scared to drive and I wouldn't trust myself with anything that endangers the lives of others. Too much responsibility.

14. Niko

I got my licenses at age 18, only because I had to. I was absouletly terrified to drive, thanks to all the gory accident videos I had to watch in high school. Now, I fear other drivers more so than me actually being behind the wheel.

15. Convoy

Taxi drivers scare be to be honest, I find a lot of them aren't really that fantastic of drivers and while they may be fairly safe (As taxi's generally are) I just don't meet many that break down the fundamentals right.

I do sympathize with bad drivers though, now that I can drive I don't get in a car with others often since so many people are just not good at it and the risk isn't worth taking if I can't trust them.

I like driving though, the responsibility doesn't really bother me that much since I am sure to drive safely and responsibly. I enjoy the control to be able to go where I want and not need others as well as be able to make responsible decisions and choices.

It isn't typically hard, but I do have to watch out for other drivers and conditions. So many people just really shouldn't be on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I love biking and walking, hiking, etc and all but it just isn't practical when I have to move a ton of stuff or am injured.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the most scary moments when I was learning to drive came when I rode with my father. I'd been doing that for years, and thought nothing of it. Until that fateful day. I knew just enough to see things he was doing that he probably shouldn't. The thing that was the most scary to me was the way he'd wait until he was almost in the intersection before braking to a stop.

I later commented on this to my mother, and she felt the same way. Actually, family legend had it that my family started wearing seatbelts because my father was just too scary early on in their marriage.

To be fair, I don't think he had driver's ed--people of his generation often learned from a parent, or some older male in the family...

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drive pretty much every day to the train station. Honestly, I think I'm one of the few people who feels like Han Solo with the Millenium Falcon.. except I'm an androgyne with a Mitsubishi Mirage.

I'm getting there, I've done some crazy stuff with this car. I know how to handle it, thank you very much.

18. Nyanko

Even though it's dangerous, I drive alone to a lot of places and I only have my permit. Too bad driver's ed is only in the summer here, otherwise I would've had my license by now.

19. prism

I've never lived in a city that hasn't had a huge public transportation system, so I only got my license for the sake of getting a driver's license. When I took the test in high school, it was the first time I had been in a car outside of a parking lot. I passed, but I wasn't testing on parking or anything like that.

That being said, I can drive legally, but I'm not sure how well I can drive anymore.

20. IrishEyes1989

I was a relative latecomer to driving. I just got my license a couple of years ago. I don't know why but I was never one of those teenagers that was hell bent on driving as soon as I turned 16. I was perfectly fine taking public transportation and walking for many years. That being said, I could not be happier to be driving now :slight_smile: