1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is most important

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I am having a confusing time here. Like many others on EC I have had a good mostly happy marriage. Husband and I are best friends. Especially since coming out we have a newer freedom of complete honesty. Yes I have seen a few incidences lately with him that are really unlike him. I know that this is because he is devastated. He says he does not care if I look at -appreciate other women as long as I am not wanting to act on it. He says its no difference if I looked at men. He is my 1 exception to being gay. He has such a good heart and we do have a affectionate relationship besides the sexual relationship. He says he feels my passion but I know its not as it should be. Should I be giving up all we have & all that we have survived-much of which would have broken up other marriages for the possibility of better sex? What if I never find the same emotional- spiritual connection with a woman? 100% sure I'm gay but is the loneliness and pain I am causing & going thru worth it?

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Do you really believe this is about better sex? Would you be this upset if it was simply sex?

You are looking at the tip of the iceberg and ignoring the massive amount of ice below the waterline.

You appear to keep boiling it down to sex and ignoring your psychology, spirituality and identity. You are looking at the flat tire and ignoring the whole car is in flames.

I bet you see yourself doing it.

3. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Oh Rose, you have expressed precisely the thought I have been mulling in recent days. I love my wife, though we have hit a rough patch, which my coming out has not helped.

One thing in my case is that my wife is 13 years older than I am and will turn 72 in August. I was out to her already as bi when she said she had lost all interest in sex. It was later that day that I contemplated the idea of "gay" out loud with her.

And oddly, as I talked about the possibility that I was gay, my desire for her only increased. At the moment, she's the only woman I truly long for. If sex is truly over for us, than I'll see about dating men, but only with her knowledge.

It's all very complicated, isn't it?

4. Italy or Bust

I labored under the idea that I would be trading love for sex by coming out, but am realizing there is more to being gay than what happens in the bedroom.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yes it is wrhla. I have a younger husband who loves sex. Not demanding but too young to not be having it often. Ok during flu season, periods.... sometimes it is 1-2 weeks w/o but now I feel like I am cheating in my head sometimes to get passion going.

Skiff-
    "Do you really believe this is about better sex? Would you be this upset if it was simply sex.
    You appear to keep boiling it down to sex and ignoring your psychology, spirituality and identity. You are looking at the flat tire and ignoring the whole car is in flames.
    I bet you see yourself doing it."
    Yes I do. I like you Skiff -You call me on my crap. Thanks.

6. wrhla

wrhla Guest

I know that you and Skiff are right that it's about more than sex. That's the problem for me. First, because I'm not sure I can love a man fully. And second, because my marriage matters a lot to me, and that would pose an obstacle if I could and did fall in love with a man. So much for me depends on how my wife and I sort things out. My hunch, is that in the near future, I'll be dating men. I certainly hope so. I think it's a matter of making sure we can both live with the situation.

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

We are both old fashioned in how we feel about marriage so for us its stay together in a complete marriage or divorce. Its going back and forth. Getting whiplash.

8. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Then I think there are two sets of questions, those having to with sex and those having to with love.

Love: How do you feel, Rose? Do you love your husband? How much do you love him? Is it just a sort of comfortable old shoe sort of love? Or is it passionate? Do you want to grow old and die together?

Sex: Are you unfulfilled sexually? And if so, how important is that to you? I know that's how you titled this thread. So that seems to be the question.

I don't have your profile in front of me, so I don't know your age. 40s? 50s?

okay, now I see that you're 45. That's still pretty young in my book. Are you facing 25 years of sex that isn't satisfying for you? Of a potentially loveless marriage that just won't work because you want to be somewhere else, with a woman?

Is you husband open to couples counseling? Have you already done that? It can help you to sort it all out together. At least that way, if you leave, it's not like he didn't see it coming.

I'm all for openness and talking.

#8 wrhla, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  9. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

wrhla- I love him deeply. We truly take care of each other in big and small ways. He knows me better than anyone and I him. Thats why me being gay feels like a cruel joke. Some people go a lifetime and don't have what we have. but I 'm not happy. I hate feeling that way. I have this suppressed romanticness that I want to be expressing to a woman. But at same time I don't want to deal with pain of letting go.

10. Hey Rose, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am in a 4 year marriage, we've been together for 10 years and have 2 young children. I'm still in the questioning stage, I'm not quite sure if I really want to be with a woman or not.

I, like everyone on here, love my husband very much. We are best friends, he is my everything. I guess I'm confused and still trying to figure things out.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

Wrhla; I have to chime in on love (relationship)...

I would not want a relationship with somebody in your position.

Let me explain why...

To me you are an emotional risk. Why should I invest my emotions into the emotionally unavailable? I am ending my marriage now because we are both being emotionally and physically short changed. Absolutely no sense in recreating it in a new variation.

This is a mistake I made before and won't make again. I went looking for a long term relationship among closeted men. When push came to shove they all chose the closet.

To me what you propose is an emotional risk for people who get involved.

Do you see my point?

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

I am sure you are a great guy but if the marriage to your wife is king everyone else plays the jester in my opinion.

12. wrhla

wrhla Guest

God, I certainly know about not wanting to cause pain. To yourself or your spouse. But it sounds like you're pretty sure that you need to leave.

Terrifying to look into that chasm, I know. Terrifying enough to make you back away from the edge. I have kept backing away myself. I hope to have the courage to do what's right when the time demands it.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have to view it as an opportunity.

Yes there is pain involed but unless you keep your eye on the gold ring and a happier future it is all pointless.

14. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

In the middle of -you know- what-last night I realized Its taking away something from my soul to keep having sex with my husband. I am gay! I am gay! super gay! I know this because he is super fit, talented in bed & has amazing endurance & I could only think of kissing the woman I'm in love with. Can I cry now?

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rosé,

I don't want to appear I am not allowing you to get away with "crap" I have simply already covered that ground in my journey.

I am not a lesbian and cannot relate 100% but some of the terrain is similar.

From the maternal standpoint and being a stay at home dad myself, the maternal role is as thankless as it is rewarding but unless you do it you don't truly understand it.

That statement may be my testosterone chaffing up against the role. :wink:. I hope/assume estrogen takes on an altered relationship with the role.

That is part of the reason why I personally wonder if a gay male can 100% relate to a female lesbian. Though I suspect Cassie could off us a perspective from a middle ground. (*hug*)

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I realized last night I can't keep on doing this- putting on a show to keep from hurting people. I have to me me. I need to be free even if it means being alone.

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being alone can help crystallize what you want. I suspect movig forward is important rather than wallowing in the past.

18. PeteNJ

Thoughts...

When I divorced my wife (and I was in a hetero state of mind, but this still applies), my therapist really helped me work through the utterly absurd romantic notion that there was only 1 perfect, meant to be, forever person for me in my life. It just isn't so. Of course we can be in love, have an intimate relationship, and even great sex with more than 1 princess/prince charming in our lives!

Relationship = love, actions, & sex. Ideally its a package. And I don't think if one part is wrong it can work long term.

I deeply loved my ex, and perhaps even harder in ending the relationship, I was deeply loved by her. But that sex thing.... even though we were still having sex until the end, for me, it wasn't right.

That's the part I only get now -- now that I'm dating men (edited to add -- as having a relationship with and having frequent sex as an out of the closet gay man). Is just how messed up the sex was with my ex -- messed up in the sense that I had to over process, over think, over imagine to make it happen with her. And yes, have pictures of men in my head when we were together, too.

So ultimately me being gay stopped the level of intimacy and authenticity during sex, and therefore the rest of the relationship too.

Rose, you will find someone. Probably a bunch of someone's on the way to finding a LTR. That's part of being human, healing, transitioning, living out.

19. LoveMusicPoetry

Rose, your husband, you've told him you're gay, I presume you've told him in that case that sex with him is an uncomfortable experience. If he truly loves you, then why is he still expecting sex with you? It sounds like he's manipulating you. You know what they call none consentual sex, or being compelled to have sex against your will don't you? Forgive me, but he doesn't sound like the wonderful man you portray if this is how he is behaving.

Maybe the reason you boil things down to sex is because that's what he does. In that case, you are not getting anywhere near what you should be getting out of a relationship. A relationship is emotional support, care and understanding... yes, and sex as well, but that is not the most important thing. You are not a chattle, you have the right to all of these things. You are not just a fuck. Don't allow yourself to be treated like a glorified cunt.

Appologies for the language and starkness of my words. This and your other recent posts have made me deeply angry about the way you say you are being treated.

20. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

LoveMusicPoetry- I have never been is just a *uck. Never. not once. Husband has never forced himself on me. He is in love with me and thats how he makes love.He is always gentle & loving. We have always slept naked and out of habit I can be a tease. After 16 years together we have a natural touchy relationship that is not sexual and one that was.We are adjusting to that. Sex with my husband is not uncomfortable its just not what it should be for me. He is adjusting and hurting too. You may see it as wrong but it can be a comfort too.