1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellow Feminists (of all genders/sexes)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, it has been a popular thing in the first world for people to say Feminism is going too far and that women are just seeking superior power. But I'm thinking this is just a misogynistic excuse to oppress women.
    Every day I see sexism that's blatantly ignored, especially aimed at female politicians, as well as the cultural assumption of masculinity=strength, femininity=weakness. As long as this continues, I feel men, and anyone in a gender grey area, are being prevented from being themselves, as well as women being prevented from achieving their potential.

I also feel other guys get uncomfortable around me when I mention that I'm a feminist, which makes me think that even the new "accepting" generation has a long way to go before we stop passing misogyny down to the next generations.

And do any other Feminists get told that saying stuff like this is crazy or conspiratorial? And can I truly be a Feminist as a male? (I get that one a lot when I speak about women's rights).

2. First of all, YES! Feminism is about equality, not gender. :slight_smile:
    Secondly, I get brushed off as a headstrong idiot whenever I bring up feminism. I've been told that I'll never get a man if I don't change my attitudes about a thousand times (I don't even know where to begin correcting that statement)
    Thirdly, I feel the exact same way about every point you've raised. People think just because we can vote now that women are considered equal. Conveniently ignoring the masculine dominance feminine submissive ideas in so commonly portrayed, as well as the continued objectification of women. For some reason men do tend to be uncomfortable with it but in this 'modern era' I can't find any reason why they should be.
    Solidarity, fellow fighter. We'll get their in the end :slight_smile:

#2 FeministFemme97, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  3. Black Swan

I agree with you. Feminism is not weak, it's actually mature because you're not afraid to be who you are.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

But on a serious note, it's disgusting the way women are brushed away with the attitude of "don't worry your pretty head", and men who show weakness are told to "man up". The stereotypes are just evil; everyone laughs when I say my physically strongest and most mentally determined friend is a straight girl who loves both kick-boxing and nail painting, as if it's an impossibility.

5. LailaForbidden

I'm pretty sure I've become a budding feminist. My home environment is one of subtle, but powerful misogyny, and i'm just now realizing how horrible it is, rather than just agreeing with it. I'm tired of my family members saying "oh she's a woman, so clearly she's crazy. it's scientific fact that woman are emotional and irrational, ect"
    So, yes, I totally see where your coming from because i've experienced it my whole life.

Although, just as a side note, I definitely do not agree with women who say "all wars are caused by men... obviously men are evil" That's just stupid. Women are just as corruptable and power-hungry as men, if given the opportunity to be so. I always have the urge to bring up how Cleopatra slaughtered her whole family for a chance at power. Clear it's not a "man" or "patriarchal" thing.

But, in a equality-for-all-genders way, I am indeed a feminist :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2013 at 03:59 PM ----------

By the way, this is awesome: [YOUTUBE]ZnSZ9UnwGpg[/YOUTUBE]

6. Yeah, women and men are still treated with crappy gender roles, even within the new generation. I remember being harassed by this obnoxious kid (who was really popular with a bunch of kids so I'm just going to assume he reflects their attitudes..) and being called a faggot cause I didn't really like P.E. and being called a girl.

lol well he sure did amuse me.

But yeah it's dumb. And I can bet you that the people feeling uncomfortable around you because you're a feminist is probably because they have a bad image of feminists from the vocal minority of feminists (who just so happened to be either internally misogynist or blatantly misandrists). That is, of course, unless you like to shove it in people's faces and scream it out loud out of the blue; THEN I can understand why they'd be uncomfortable. But you probably don't, so nbd.

7. 4ever Hearth

Feminism is basically equal stance, correct?

Instead of being told to stand behind and/or just watch, Feminism is a stance on both having the ability and capability to stand beside, as in next to and in conjunction, with their partner. Being able to choose one's own role in life instead of having anything and/or anyone else do it for you. Correct?

And if this is the case, then I definitely want to learn more because if someone asks me about becoming "subserviant" to another man or vice versa, i'm going to punch them in the face then roar "TO A STRONG AMAZON NATION!"

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You sir, are a new friend of mine.

Nah but seriously, you can be a male Feminist... I don't understand why people say you can't be... LoL

9. eatsleepclimb

I agree. Acting "like a girl" is an insult, for instance, punching like a girl. Then some guys feel they have to prove their masculinity so no one will think of them as "girly". Why is being a girl still a bad thing?
    If you're a male feminist, that shouldn't be a bad thing--it should be like being an ally, you're a supporter!

10. Mysz

I wouldn't particularly call myself a Feminist... frankly, I'm pretty annoyed at how many times you are required to say he/she instead of just a simple he in speeches or in writing, due to a feminist outcry some time ago. Plus, the feminist movement made chivalrous men go out of style because being chivalrous got labeled as being patronizing.
    Grr. Both men AND women should be chivalrous.
    However, I'm also annoyed with lines like "you're too pretty to be a lesbian" and "you just need a man". Feminists have done so much to get women equality, sooo.. Thanks to all those hardworking men and women in the past and present who got us where we are today!
    :thumbsup:

11. Eliza

Eliza Guest

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point here is that men are often ashamed to accept chivalrous actions from a woman, because it "lowers them to the level of a female" (which no-one consciously thinks, but it boils down to that). I am chivalrous to anyone regardless of gender, looks, how well I know them etc. It just doesn't make sense to differentiate people because of sex.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2013 at 10:55 AM ----------

Maggie Thatcher anyone?

13. GhostOfRazgriz

I wouldn't necessarily call myself feminist, at least not extremely so. However, I do believe that the society completely stereotypes genders. And that there is definitely sexual objectification regarding women, and disgusts me.

Not only that, but society also gives objects, and even colors gender. With blue being a stereotypical male color, and pink a female color. And I can't wear a dress just because I am a male, and would be viewed as weak.

At school, a lot of the boys talk about girls as if they are objects, something to be acquired just for the sake of acquiring. Like trading cards or something. It's absolutely sickening.

I believe in chivalry. However, I believe in acting that way to EVERY gender and ALL people.

14. Maddix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly am a very strong believer in feminism and I also don't think you have to be female to be a feminist. Being a feminist simply means believing in equal rights to all genders. You see so many woman pushed aside or treated as weak simply because we are female. I just want both men and women to stand on equal footing. Women are not property and should be treated with respect! Men should also be treated with the same respect so that both genders can be free of prejudices. So, to recap let's all just be equal.

15. catatonie

"I'm not a feminist but [insert feminist ideals here]."

16. Alexander69

Women are some of the richest and most powerful people in the world the queen executives business owners everything I am not sexist in any way I think women can do anything men can do I think sexism is so stupid I think everyone is equal

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For all I respect my Queen (Elizabeth II), the Danish Queen and the soon to abdicate Queen of the Netherlands, inheritance counts for nothing in terms of equal rights for women. On the matter of business executives, the richest person in Australia is Gina Rinehart, who inherited all her wealth, and who is not a feminist (she supports the Australian Liberal party, who are the Conservatives, ironically, and against women's progress despite their female members). Most women who occupy great positions could never have reached them without extraordinary circumstances, or as a figure to disguise sexism (as most female Conservatives are). Even Margaret Thatcher was used by the British Conservatives to implement radically right-wing policies, so she could face the blame and Conservative male MPs and lords could escape the hatred.

18. FruitFly

The only time I get annoyed with fellow feminists is when they either slip into wanting to "flip" the situation and actively promote discrimination against men or somehow make out that due to the actions of the past (and present) all men are somehow lower than scum, and when they try to force their Western ideals onto women who are feminists in their own right. When they get so focused on their ideals, their rights, they forget to ask these women what they want and how they want to achieve it. Heck they forget to work with the feminist groups set up by women in that country, and instead try to force their own ideas of how to achieve equality upon women who find some of those ideas vulgar.

I'm a feminist. I support feminism. I cannot support it when people have become so blinded by what they view as right they forget what we are truly working towards; equality. Equality that considers each person and their rights when working towards it, not just bulldozes everyone who disagrees because of what appears to be a "I'm right, you're wrong, so suck it" mentality. The problem I find is that feminist ideals, when taken to a certain point, can become just as oppressive as those they wish to throw out.

---------------------------ramble over------------------------------

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That vocal minority gives the rest of us (as true Feminists) a bad name, as well as women in general. I have heard that sort of "feminist" say that gay men are only so because we hate women so much that we refuse to be with them. When someone comes out with that sort of rubbish, the best policy is to immediately falsify their statements, and quickly make sure they are labelled as extremists, not Feminists.

20. PinkFluff

They should rename feminism to "equalism". Feminism makes it sound sexist.