1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you turn your cell phone off on airplanes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Do you turn airplane mode on for airplanes?

1. Yes, I turn airplane mode on/I turn the phone off

36 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No, I don't turn it on and I never crashed

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. No, I don't turn it on, and I crashed and died

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    This! If you don't put your phone on airplane mode, then it just keeps searching for a signal, which takes a lot of power.

2. photoguy93

I don't fly that often, but I've done it enough to have an opinion here. I always follow the rules. I make sure my devices are off when told and in airplane mode when able to be. When I flew to France, it was totally fine not being connected to the world for 8 hours.

That being said, I was always with people. Recently, I took a very small flight - like, 55 minutes, by myself. I would have loved to have my music on....I was scared shitless! If I really thought about it, I could have tried to put my music on and might have to do that if I get really bad again. I love flying...I just get nervous by myself. I agree with others, though.....I know it's really not going to cause problems, but flight attendants are doing their best and really do need all the help we can give them.

3. starfish

Just wait until you hit unexpected turbulence, then it won't be so pointless.

4. BornInTexas

To the four people who survived their death in an airplane crash, bravo. Harry Houdini must've taught you clever tricks.

5. Colours

I use airplane mode whenever I'm on a plane.

6. J205

J205 Guest

If I was on a plane, I'll have to turn off my phone.

7. AKTodd

Turn the phone off on planes, in movies, and anywhere else where the rule is to turn it off. In my experience it is very rare that anyone has anything so important to say to me that it can't wait a few hours. Or if it is that important, it will still be important when I get back into communication.

People who can't go 10 minutes without texting or phoning or whatever just annoy me. I want to take their phone away just to watch them suffer being disconnected.

Todd

8. hkboy93

I fly constantly with at least 4 times a year the flight is over 15H (Toronto- Hong Kong vice versa) and i just switch it to plane mode

9. PinkFluff

I crashed and died

R.I.P PinkFluff ??/??/????-2013

10. Dalmatian

Err.. ok, so.. what you quoted meant: "right, I was talking about takeoff and landing as well and no, it's not a problem to have my Kindle off at that time. However, it's pointless to ban usage of passive, EM-silent devices such as Kindle on the grounds of airplane security." Unless you wanted to tell me that unexpected turbulence could cause trouble with reading from an ebook reader if I'm not buckled-up, I believe you misunderstood the conversation :wink:

I do agree with what I think you are trying to say, though. I'm always belted from park position to park position.

#30 Dalmatian, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  11. Hexagon

My condolences =P