1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surrounded by stupidity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 17, 2013.

1. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We all have our ignorance. And we all also have things we don't even try to understand. We shouldn't judge others just because their knowledge and interests may not necessarily line up with our own. The best we can do is to inform others when they are ignorant, and learn from others when we are ignorant. We all have our expertise and having the chance to use it to teach others should be a wonderful thing, not a bad thing. If we or others are shamed for our ignorance, it can only make things worse.

(&&&)

I understand when we get frustrated with others we can be annoyed with them and want to vent our feelings. I'm just trying to make a general point, I don't mean it as an argument towards what others have posted.

2. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow where did you meet all these stupid people?

3. purpledinosaur1

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im a freshman at a high school and i SWEAR my class and even some of the other classes are idiots i don't like almost all of them [/B][/B]

4. Hexagon

I should have expected it really. I left school for reasons other than not being able to cope with the work, and started a training course to try and find a way into work. I think everyone else there is there because they couldn't handle school.

Wow, you just described my politics, more or less. I'd been looking for a word.

5. PinkFluff

Jesus Fucking Christ, yes!

The most popular kids at school are fucking cretins and they act all sad about the bombing and they say they care... but they have never heard of the Waco Siege or Tokyo Gas Attack etc etc.

They act like a mix of fuckhead teenager and eight-year-old. I hate them.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

Plus they are so fucking PC. I made a joke about the holocaust yesterday and they all acted like they were offended. For fuck sake, it happened 70 years ago. Plus, I start talking about all the godamn holes in the Bible and they say:

"well, some people believe it, so shut up"

6. I don't feel that way at all. I feel I'm surrounding by intelligent people. I live in a house with two very intelligent uni students, and all my friends are the same.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2013 at 12:46 PM ----------

Perhaps it's the UK's higher-than-average education :wink:

7. Hexagon

Yeah, well uni students tend to be smart...

8. Polaroid1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah some times people in my class can be that stupid.
    an example of their occasional idiocy being that they will purchase £400 camereas and then not have the slightest clue on how to used them (my class being a level 3 photography course)

9. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Yes, I know what you mean. I just dumb myself down. Some idiot thought libertarians are the same as anarchists :bang:. I tried explaining the difference, but people are just too simple minded. I'm pretty well-rounded on topics. Some people I know only and I mean only talk about sports. Nothing else. I love talking about sports, but I do like switching it up. Some people think they are ESPN analysts and get real passionate in these debates while our government sinks in debt and unemployment doesn't seem to be going down. Sure, I get disappointed and gloomy when my team loses or a player gets injured. But I look at the wider picture and think how does an injured player have any real world effect on my life? Our nation's debt certainly has an impact and the economy. Not the wins or loses of my favorite team.

10. Short answer, no. If I had a penny for every time I've been in a situation like the ones you've put forward the I'd be richer than Mark Zucherberg.

11. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Yep. I know how you feel. My friend told me that he like singing along to anime songs, but sometimes the subtitles for it don't show it in English. (As in, it is in Japanese, but phonetically) So I said that if he put the lyrics from it onto a translator, or if that's not possible, maybe try get them from another site and he says:

"No! That makes no sense! Show me how you do it then!"

He also said that ice isn't water. I know what he means, but when I try to explain it to him, he says that they're two completely different things.

12. Perseus

I'm 14 and even most of my friends would know things like that... Although most of the time they have different views. :grin:

13. Cougar

Cougar Guest

I am with your tutor, but you give examples for ignorance, not for stupidity. Knowledge is only important when it is relevant for our actions. Posing as an anarchist isn't more game-changing than using black lipstick.

René Descartes (1596-1650): Good sense is the best distributed thing in the world, for everyone thinks himself to be so well endowed with it that even those who are the most difficult to please in everything else are not at all wont to desire more of it than they have. It is not likely that everyone is mistaken in this. Rather, it provides evidence that the power of judging well and of distinguishing the true from the false (which is, properly speaking, what people call "good sense" or "reason") is naturally equal in all men, and that the diversity of our opinions does not arise from the fact that some people are more reasonable than others, but solely from the fact that we lead our thoughts along different paths and do not take the same things into consideration.

For it is not enough to HAVE a good mind; the main thing is to APPLY it well.

You are right, stupidity is definitely a problem. You won't find many interlocutors who are more than parrots of the mainstream media. Let your brain cells rest in peace or go back to school.

14. Hexagon

Yeah, me too.

The problem is, when I attempt to explain things, they remain completely incapable of understanding. I'm going to go back to school, but right now it just isn't possible. I have to leave home, my parents are abusive and I can't live with them anymore.

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to sound confrontational, but are you suggesting I'm posing as an anarchist?

#34 Hexagon, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. Naren

A lot of people are pretty dumb. It's the society.

16. Hexagon

Perhaps. I feel like a lot of these people have been totally abandoned by the schools/state. They may be ignorant and unwilling to learn, but they have been proven to be capable of learning, given the fact that they're actually on a training course.

17. Nyanko

Just because something's obvious to you, doesn't mean it's obvious to others, you know? Curiosity lies into this as well; when you don't know something (such as this site) you have a tendency to ask questions about it, right? Maybe it is a stupid question, but you learn something from it, and you'll be able to give that information to another person who also might not know about it in the future. Maybe they didn't know what an anarchist is, big deal, neither do I. That doesn't mean we're stupid and shouldn't be treated as such. Nobody does no matter how stupid they seem to be.

I'm extremely dumb and need a few definitions/explanations and examples to understand something, but does that make me completely illiterate and in need of being shunned from society? No, and neither do those people who innocently ask questions about things they don't know.

Not saying this to be harsh or rude, if it sounded like it. I just personally don't like it when someone judges people based off their intelligence; smart or dumb I don't think it's fair.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate people like that! I know a Catholic who says I can't be Christian (Swedish Lutheran) because I support gay rights (wait 'til she knows I'm gay), quotes Leviticus to anyone who's pro gay rights, yet still has slept with three guys at the age of 15.:bang:

19. Hefiel

Show her the rest of Leviticus and she'll stay silent for a while (to stay polite).

According to Leviticus, you can't eat seashells (basically any sea food that has shells), your outfit cannot contain more than 1 fabric (so if it's not 100% cotton, you're going to hell!), and I could go on and on.

Fun thing to know is that, in the case of many religious folks, they actually haven't read the Bible. They've only read what they've been told to in Churches, and Preachers are pretty well-known for cherrypicking the Bible verses.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've already tried to convince her that if she doesn't like gays, she can't eat lobster (which she loves), but apparently the only part of the Old Testament worth keeping is the anti-gay part (and she also believes women belong in the kitchen). That last bit always makes me so angry, especially when women who want to succeed in the workplace have to struggle not only against men, but against other women who have been brainwashed into thinking they don't deserve the same as men:tantrum:.