1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do transgendered individuals change their last name too?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MyGirlyCloset, Apr 15, 2013.

1. MyGirlyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wasn't sure if during the transition the individual changed their last name as well? Does anybody happen to know if this is common?

2. Fiddledeedee

Some people do it and some people don't. I have no idea what is or isn't common. Some people wish to keep their old and new names as similar as possible, e.g. John Smith to Jane Smith. However, the only trans person I know personally intends to change her name fully and drastically, including her last name, because she hates and has been disowned by her family. It's completely up to you as to what you do.

3. MyGirlyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I can understand that, I love my family but haven't came out yet so I'm unsure as to what effects that might have.

4. GayJay

Yeah i have known people that have wanted to change their last name too because of totally wanting to break away from the 'old them' sort of thing.
    I'm changing my second name too, just because it's in my dads name and i live with my mum so i might aswell change it while i'm there, and also if my dad found out i was trans* and still using his family name he would go crazy. He disowned me a while ago but i think he would be angry

5. MyGirlyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that :frowning2:

6. Ianthe

As has already been said, I think this depends on your circumstances. But changing your last name isn't so much of a "given" for someone who is transitioning. It's not really part of transitioning, I don't feel--rather, in most cases where the last name is changed, it is for other reasons, such as being estranged from their family. (In the case of most people who are not estranged from their families, a change in surname could be hurtful to the family.)

7. MyGirlyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good point , thank you