1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being controlled

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by star24, Apr 2, 2013.

1. star24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My partner and i just bought a house. We have lived here less than a week and she has now told me that since she owns this house, my child is not welcome. I have a son that used to live with me full-time but is now living with his father (child is 17). My visitation is for every other weekend, etc.
    We have done nothing but fight about this since moving in. How can she love me and tell me I am not allowed to have my son here? We just bought a house and she expects me to visit with my son in hotel rooms? This is ridiculous and very disturbing. We just closed on this house less than a week ago so I don't know what to do. What do I do? This brings so many red flags out, but they are too late. What can I do? How do I change this? I need my son and I love my partner. How to resolve this? There is resentment building and this will not be a healthy relationship. Begging for suggestions, I need this to work.

2. AKTodd

If the both of you bought the house then doesn't it belong to you too? Also, has she said why your son is not welcome? Did she ever say anything when he was coming to stay with (I assume) the two of you before you moved into the house?

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has she said anything about why she doesn't want him coming to your house? (I mean, I've known some 17 year olds I wouldn't want at my house.)

Definitely talk to her about this. Demand an explanation. If she wants to make this relationship work, she should be open with you if she has any concerns about your son.

4. star24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He lived with me full time the last 17 years. just 2 weeks ago his visitation with his dad was reinstated and because we were moving out of town, he opted to stay in our old town with his father to finish out his last year of school without having to relocate. She had said she was find with the every other weekend visitation, but now that we moved, she doesn't want him to come at all. She says she is too hurt because he chose his dad and that she doesn't like him. I think she is trying to keep him away so she I only have her. She says she is all I have now and that she doesn't want him in her house now. I understand why he chose to stay, and although it did hurt, I love him unconditionally and I believe if she really loved me, she would want me to have a relationship with my son still. Love doesn't stop with a child just because they don't move with you. I feel like she told me what I needed to hear and is taking it all back now that the papers are signed. I am very full of resentment and do not trust her motives anymore. Love doesn't do that and now I feel trapped. When I try to tell her I want him here on my visits, she says "so you want to end us then?" This is very wrong and I can't accept it, but I don't have many options and my love is suffering. This has taken such a wrong turn :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2013 at 01:57 PM ----------

I guess I am just venting out of desparation. I know I got myself into this and I feel hopeless...torn between parental and partner love. I know they are two different things and I should be allowed both, but she does not accept that. How do I do this!

5. Wolfie Charm

Custody battles suck for all parties (child included!!) and no matter how old the child is. Does she realize that she is hurting all three of you with this choice of banishing your son because she feels hurt? The boy lived with you two!! Doesn’t she think of him as part of her just as you are a part of her? One is your kid, one is your love. She should trust you can distinguish between the two of them. I could almost follow her being this way if he has never lived with you guys before, but objecting weekends?:confused: Very sorry she is putting you through this. (*hug*)

#5 Wolfie Charm, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  6. star24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is so very hard. Love should not have to choose like this :frowning2:
    I love them both.

7. Ianthe

When someone makes me choose, I always choose the other person. (I don't mean between partners, necessarily--I think people are within their rights to want exclusivity with a partner. But if a partner is trying to make me choose between them and my friends or family, or if a friend is saying she won't be my friend if I'm friends with someone else, or anything like that, the person forcing the issue is the one who loses.)

Tell her that your son is your family, and your family comes with you, take it or leave it. Explain that SHE is the one making that choice, and not you. She knew you had a son when you got together. Don't let her put it on you.

8. Femmeme

This is abusive behavior. Get out and away from her as fast as humanly possible.

9. Otsuke

How horrible !!
    I just cannot believe what I just read. She can't threaten you like this by saying that you want to end this whole relationship. It is not only controlling, it is wrong and can't be used as a valuable argument. Please, for your own good, ask her again and calmly what are her reasons. Your partner has to be really clear about her motives. And YOU two. It is your child, you want him part of your life just as much as you want her part of it too.

How come this reaction of her came right after you bought the house ? It is unfair (and I would prefer to use the word cruel). Be clear, ask her the real questions : there's a child in the middle of the problem for gods sake. Oh and I bet your boy isn't that bad...

Woa. What a story. Keep us updated. Don't let her controle you too much, it'll drag everyone in this situation down.

Good luck.

10. Aeriestars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally think that she should be ashamed of herself for expecting you to choose her over your child, and you should NOT be choosing her over your child. Senior year is a tough year as it is, and think of the void that it'll cause when you try to tell him that he can't come visit his mother because her girlfriend doesn't want him there. He's your son, and there's a responsibility in that.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense, but this sounds like an incredibly abusive situation, and certainly not anyone I'd want to even be friends with, let alone have as my partner or co-owner of my house.

Assuming that you own the home together, it's not reasonable or fair for her to establish the rules. In spite of the fact you've just settled on the property, I'd get out of there as soon as you can. You may be able to sell your interest in the home to someone else, or ask her to move out, or something. If it's this bad a week in... it isn't going to get better.

I really have zero tolerance for people who are manipulative and controlling, as it sounds like your partner is.

12. star24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    well my son has not yet even wanted to come visit and that is hurting me, but my partner is still stressing me. now, she has been trying to get rid of everything we brought from our last home that was mine or his. I know she has ulterior motives in getting rid of everything that once made me who I am. she doesn't want my past, or me from my past. she is making everything new and each time I say I want to keep something she starts a fight saying she can't talk to me and has to walk on eggshells around me. I tell her if she would just let me keep the things I want that feel comfortable to me, that should make her feel good to make me more secure. I left my family, my coworkers and the few friends I had to change towns with her. how do I get her to realize I have to keep some of me or I will be forced to be someone I am not and it is making me depressed and angry. I don't want to give my entire self away. :frowning2: how do I make her accept me and my things. she says that isn't what she is doing and I am acting too sensitive.

13. Femmeme

I'm going to be extremely frank with you, and it very well may piss you off. I'm sorry if it does.

You aren't going to convince her. She is showing no respect for you what so ever. None. She is being emotionally and psychologically abusive.

People who love abd respect you DO NOT, under ANY circumstances try to come between you and your child.

People who love you and respect you DO NOT try to erase your history. EVER. They celebrate you for who you are and what you've lived through.

At the VERY LEAST you need to get into couples counseling right now. Tomorrow, next week. As soon as possible, because it sounds like she is systematically trying to destroy your will and sense of self.

I'm guessing you worked really hard to develop those two things in order to accept yourself and come out of the closet. So they're likely still new and fragile. Don't give them up already.

(*hug*)

14. Loveless

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How the hell could a person say that ESPECIALLY TO THEIR OWN PARTNER. Theirs enough hate in this world NOBODY needs it at home and heart. Honestly i'd tell her to fuck off and that i need to see my son. But you can't tell your partner that, or can you hmmm. I'm sorry this isn't really my forte but i had to post something because that's totally absurd.

15. Aeriestars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You don't get her to realize, because she knows exactly what she's doing. Why would you want to be in a relationship that feels like you have to hide who you are again?

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Woah, wait a minute. She is trying to change you and get rid of your past? She is basically forcing you to become a different person. That is not love. That is control. I dated a woman like that, and it did not get better. The relationship ended very badly and now we no longer talk. I ruined years of my life doing what she wanted me to do. I skipped prom, ditched a lot of friends, and hurt a lot of people because of her. It got so bad that she wouldn't let me go to the tanning bed, wear my 2nd set of earrings in my lobes, or even hug other people. She promised me a lot of things, and continued to break her promises. If I could go back, I would've had a bigger backbone.

She is trying to keep you from your son because she is hurt by his decision, and your son is a constant reminder to her that you were once with a man. I'm sorry, but she needs to grow up. Shit happens and she shouldn't try to make you change. Your son is young, and she should know better. Please do yourself a favor and get out now. I promise, it will only get worse.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously, Star24. It doesnt' seem like you're getting this, so I'll try again:

Your partner is a manipulative psycho bitch, and you need to get out of the relationship.

This is probably one of the most unhealthy relationships I've ever heard of, and you need to get out of it immediately. You're not going to reason with her because as someone's already said, she knows exactly what she's doing.

Don't throw away another single thing. Get a storage locker if required. Move somewhere, to a tiny apartment if needed. Get yourself out of that mortgage, either by getting her to buy you out, or selling the house, or whatever.

NO relationship is worth the damage to your self esteem and sense of self that this woman is putting you through.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it from me, and do as Chip says; as someone who has been married to

a manipulative psycho bitch

...there is no changing her. It is a classical halmark of abuse to isolate the one being abused from their loved ones, their hobbies and their friends.

It WON'T get better with her!

19. theMaverick

Yeah...unfortunately, Chip is right. This is not a healthy relationship. I've been in a relationship that wasn't healthy, and time didn't make it better, it only got worse and more emotionally abusive, and it was bad. Get out. Fast.

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, Chip is correct. I would only switch one thing...

Tell the psycho bitch to get out, bring your son in, and then settle the house.

No reason for you to be homeless.

Homeless is perfect for psycho bitch though.

Turn about, she gets out!

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2013 at 10:00 AM ----------

How long did you know this woman before you bought a house?

This is a good lesson for all of us with children. If your new partner doesn't want your children, or to assume the role of step-parent/friend to your child they don't want you either.

Even if your children are adults would you want to be cut off from your grandchildren?

#20 skiff, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013