1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to persuade someone to tell you they're gay (if they are)?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Apr 1, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

The question says It all

2. Wolfie Charm

Hm… Well they might not be ready to admit it to anyone or even themselves, so just by showing you are not judgmental or anything like that. The reason I have sorta told one person is because she presented herself as open to the idea. Well that and she then asked me.

I didn’t notice your age until just now. I second what Ianthe has said.

#2 Wolfie Charm, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. Ianthe

If you are out to them, that is probably all you can do.

At your age, there are many gay people who don't know they are gay.

I guess you could also make sure they know that you think it would be wrong to tell anyone if someone told you they were gay. But to be honest, for anyone who isn't ready to be completely out, I would advise against telling a 13-year-old. I just think that a lot of people your age would find it difficult to keep a big secret.

Who is it you are trying to find out about, and why?

4. ezkill

Only the individual can persuade themselves to come out. They have to make the conscious decision to accept themselves and to come out to other people. Nothing you can do will "persuade" them in the traditional sense. People come out when they are forcibly outed or when they are mentally and emotionally ready.

However, the other posters above are right in the sense that yes, you can be great support for the said person. But being supportive won't necessarily coax them out of the closet. I hope this helps.