1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Gay Dating Sim?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by steelygreye, Mar 31, 2013.

1. steelygreye

I have an idea for a dating sim - one that involves eight different love interests each with a unique story path. Now, it isn't necessarily completely gay, there are four male interests and four female interests, and the main character can be switched between male and female (both are just different versions of each other).

The story would play out more like a visual novel than a normal dating sim - given opportunities or choices that will change the outcome. I imagine there'd be many endings. The choices will determine whose story path you are put on.

Here's the premise:

Alex (name can be changed) is tired of living in their small town. Everyone knows each other, and because of this, Alex is ostracized for being from a sorcerer's family. To get away, they move to the large Vitamin City and manage to find an apartment in the Canis district - notoriously one of the worst parts of town.

It starts with them doing normal chores, like getting groceries, looking for a job, etc... but as your character moves about town you would get options like "This warehouse has a strange energy, do you want to explore?" or something like that which would make you meet characters and change the story.

Even though it's one of the worst parts of town, will they meet people there that make it bearable... or even worth while? But there are dangers, and even the one they love can be a dangerous person. Will their quest for companionship be the end of them, or will they save their love from certain destruction? In the end, it's all your choice!

What do you think? I have more detailed ideas, such as characters and character plots. Is anyone interested in the idea? I don't have a way to draw for the game (I don't have a tablet or anything of that nature), so if you can draw, that would be good. Also, I can't program, if you know how to use Ren'py or something like that, it would be cool. Really, all I can do is write the script and the story. (I know, it's not much, but I'd love to see the idea come to life!)

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea! The only change I would make is to give a nod to trans* & non-binary people in some fashion.

I could probably handle the programming side of things. I've never used Ren'Py, but I do know Python, so picking it up should be pretty easy.

3. steelygreye

Yeah, I definitely could. But in a way, the main character is a nod to all genders - the gender of the character is interchangeable and changes nothing about who the character is and how they relate to others (all it does is change pronouns). I'm pretty sure I can take an existing character and casually work it in the dialogue that they mention something like "you know, I actually used to be a girl. You wouldn't guess it at first glance, though."

I'm glad to find someone who could handle programming, I can't even install a mod for minecraft. xD If you really would like to work on this, perhaps you can send me a PM? I tried to gather a small team online to make it once, but the people just kind of abandoned it before it could get started in anyway.

I already have a bit of an outline for the idea.

4. This sounds interesting, I think there already is a gay sim dating game like those stereotypical hetero sim dating games you see, (just pointing it out) not sure what the name was but it had a kickstarter campaign and a lot of of people seemed to be interested in it.

5. steelygreye

The idea is that it'd be a bit different from other date sims, not just because your character is bisexual.

Most date sims include teenagers who really don't have much emotional baggage/issues and mainly focus on the main character without thought to their own personal lives. Each character will make mistakes and generally also have their own complicated personal lives outside of the main character. Also, the characters are all young adults.

The stories will get darker than what is usually to be expected from a date sim, the choices will range from having small effects to large effects on the story. Also, certain choices can lead to the doom of your character. The story could be a happily ever after or a tragedy, depending on the choice.

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

Update: I found someone who could do programming, but if you can be an artist, that would be great. Preferably I could find two different people to draw the characters/scenes and the backgrounds.

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2013 at 05:40 PM ----------

But you know, if you can do both, that's great as well! xD

6. steelygreye

Oh, do you know where I can find that game, January?

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds awesome. I'd probably play it if the story was good.

8. steelygreye

I really hope it is good, but I'm not sure who to show my ideas to.

9. Ianthe

I'm not really fond of making everyone bisexual. I think things are more interesting when characters actually have preferences. Your main character should act as a player avatar, but I think it would be more interesting (and more realistic) if your NPCs had various sexual orientations. Then the player would have to find a compatible character before a relationship could proceed, rather than being able to have a relationship with just any character they come across.

You could then include options for trans and non-binary people, and have different NPCs be open to a relationship with them or not (just as with the cisgender options). And some of your NPCs could also be trans and non-binary people.

10. steelygreye

That sounds far too complicated. I just want people to go through various story-paths for individual characters, the gender of the main character is up to the player. It's sort of like a "pick option 1, you influence the story" or something like that. I wouldn't use the main character as an avatar, either. The main is going to have their own personality, although the name can be changed.

I have a bit of a more "visual novel" idea for it, not necessarily complete date sim, so the eight date-able characters need to treat the main the same whether the main is a male or female (except with differing pronouns).

11. Ianthe

Well, I always found "choose your own adventure" kind of boring. So I guess it probably wouldn't be for me. :slight_smile:

12. Silverbells000

I find it an interesting idea, perhaps more detail and a bit more of a plot, but other than that I'm sure if such a game was actually created I would buy it and try it out.

13. steelygreye

Well, if I did somehow make it, I'd make it for free. ^_^ This way more people would be able to play it.

Of course, I'm only dreaming about all this. Very likely it's just going to stay in my head. I wish I could find an artist to draw for me. :/

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One possibility, instead of making everyone bi, would be to have some characters switch between gay and straight depending on the player's choice of gender.

15. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You can do gay stuff with sims... believe me

16. Keegan24

This sounds very interesting, I would probably play it. :slight_smile:

17. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sounds like a cool idea. I had a period in which I was really with visual novels. I still like them a lot. I recently started playing Ever 17. Still haven't gone through all the routes, which I really should, as I hear the final one is pretty awesome.

I don't mind games in which every love interest is bisexual, actually. I know logically it would make the characters more...real to have them have sexual orientations, but it does opens up more options - options which usually wouldn't be available as I usually go for a female main character whenever possible.

If you were seriously considering doing this, The Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine is good program if you don't know about it. You might be able to find an artist in their forums...?