Volunteer Work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedLight, Mar 29, 2013.

1. photoguy93

VOLUNTEER!

It's such an amazing thing. Find something you're passionate about - if you like music, try and find a music camp, etc. etc.

I volunteered at my local library for years, and am now volunteering at a Free Health Clinic. You learn wonderful things and you can use these experiences for your resume! :frowning2:

2. RedLight

That's the major I want to go into in college. If you don't mind me asking is there a specific organization that helps you do that?

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2013 at 12:43 PM ----------

I wanted to look at that, but I could never find something that actually needed volunteers, everyone seemed to have enough. Are they still active? And if they are do you know a specific one I can work with?

3. 6ix

6ix

What are some of your interests? There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread so I'll just add that you can find opportunities that are relevant to your interests by googling "(whatever your interest is) volunteer". Putting your interest and 'volunteer' in quotations will refine your search to websites that specifically mention those words.

I run an ESL program in Taiwan every summer where I fly 10-20 teachers there from North America. I also advertising my program to university students who are majoring in education so they can get some international experience. It's very rewarding and a lot of fun. I've been doing it since I was 18 (2007).

I'm actually leaving for the next one at the beginning of June. This year I have 700 students. :eusa_danc

Next year I'm hoping to run a program at an orphanage in Costa Rica too.

4. RedLight

Wow, that's amazing. Good luck on that.

5. TrangNhi2154

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm planning to go to Bolivia to help deaf children on this Summer. I had to study on Spanish AND Bolivia Sign Language! It's definitely not easy, but it's also definitely worth it! :slight_smile:

6. RedLight

Oh my gosh that's beautiful. It sounds like such a rewarding experience. Enjoy the trip!

7. Wolfie Charm

Are you having any luck finding a place to volunteer?

8. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i do volunteer work for two weeks each year.. mainly for charities ... breast cancer, Red Cross, Unicef, violence against children, orphanages foundation, best one was with Mother theresa home for elderly it was working with senior citizents... i got down and dirty and cleaned up their mess, showered them, fed them and pretty much carried those who were cripple from A to B... made me acknowledge and respect the elderly a whole lot more...