1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird facts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BornInTexas, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's something in the human personality which resents things that are clear, and conversely, something which is attracted to puzzles, enigmas, and allegories.

- Stanley Kubrick

--

On your signature's quote, Qthulhu. I recommend you read the book by Jonah Lehrer called "How We Decide." It goes into the neuroscience of why our brains and subsequently our minds enjoy puzzles and focus on them rather than solid, obvious things in life.

2. Calico

Cocaine and falling in love have similar effects on the brain.

3. Jake Fang

Jake Fang Guest

I heard that dreams only last up to 1 to 3 seconds.

Lefty facts time!
    Between 10-12% of people on earth are “lefties.” Women are more likely to be right-handed than men by about 4 percentage points.i

August 13th is “Left-Hander’s Day.” Launched in 1992, this yearly event celebrates left-handedness and raises awareness of the difficulties and frustrations left-handers experience every day in a world designed for right-handers.c

At various times in history, left-handedness has been seen as many things: a nasty habit, a mark of the devil, a sign of neurosis, rebellion, criminality, and homosexuality. It has also been seen as a trait indicating creativity and musical abilities

Tests conducted by St. Lawrence University in New York found that there were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people. Famous left-handed intellectuals include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin

Many people who are left-handed draw figures that face to the right
    (Odd i draw them to the left, i can't do the right side for shiz!)

Left-handers are more likely to be dyslexic and to stutter
    ( I stutter at times ;~:wink:

Studies suggest premature babies are more likely to be left-handed. Additionally, infants with low Apgar scores at birth are more likely to be left-handed than children who have higher Apgar scores

Some scientists have suggested that left-handers were originally in the womb with a twin that did not survive, or a “Vanishing Twin

Whoooo go lefties! C: And most Lefties i know are extremely good artists. I love drawing Cx

4. BornInTexas

These are cool. I'll have to show them to my brother.

It's funny. My brother and I are twins, and we were premature births. He is left-handed, and I am gay. He has WAY more common sense than I do, and he barely has to try to get honor roll in school. I have to work and work and work. I'm right-handed. I DIDN'T VANISH! =D

This was cool to read. Sorry for the babblesmabble.

5. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BIT:

He was trying to kill you in the womb, sucking away all of your sense and smarts! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Mysz

Presidential facts eh? Coming at you. :icon_bigg

Did you know that Grover Cleveland habitually relieved himself from the oval office window? Franklin Pierce's unofficial slogan was "Franklin Piece, the Hero of Many a Well-Fought Bottle."

7. Hexagon

So do I. Having 6 toes is a necessary condition of having 10.

Cats have a low terminal velocity, meaning they are quite likely to survive any fall, except when space exposure would kill them first.

Cats require one extra amino acid than humans do, taurine

Cats cannot taste sugar

Cats are crepuscular, meaning they are active during twilight, rather than being nocturnal or diurnal like most other animals

Cats, or at least my cat, steals vegetarian substitutes of my plate and eats them quite happily.

The earth is an isolated system (well, kinda) meaning that endless economic growth is impossible.

A long long time ago, there was no oxygen in the atmosphere, and when photosynthesis produced enough, there was a mass extinction event because oxygen was toxic to most life back then

there are bacteria in your body which still cannot breathe oxygen, and when you shit, they die, causing a rather unpleasant smell.

Astrobiologists are looking for oxygen in the atmospheres of exoplanets in an attempt to find life.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 02:24 AM ----------

There was once a pirate who decided he wanted a change in career, and he became a priest, and was elected pope the next day.

A greek philosopher called Aristarchus proposed heliocentrism about 1800 years before Copernicus came up with it.

#47 Hexagon, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  8. Devious Kitty

I'm pretty sure this is just a common internet myth. I was looking into this to speak about REM sleep and such but there are no sources to back it up. Although probably half the stuff here isn't true anyways so I suppose it doesn't make much difference. xD

Snoring can happen during any stage of sleep, including REM sleep which is when most dreaming occurs.

For the record, pinch the upper bridge of the nose right in between the eyes when you feel a sneeze coming. It will make it go away.

I always found this interesting:

"With their righting reflex, cats often land uninjured. However, this is not always the case, since cats can still break bones or die from extreme falls. In a 1987 study, published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, of 132 cats that were brought into the New York Animal Medical Center after having fallen from buildings, it was found that the injuries per cat increased depending on the height fallen up to seven stories but decreased above seven stories.[8] The study authors speculated that after falling five stories the cats reached terminal velocity and thereafter relaxed and spread their bodies to increase drag."

Not sure how true it is. 132 isn't all too large of a sample size.

9. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bees, to communicate where food is, do a "waggle dance" in which they indicate an angle which is the angle they would need to travel on from the sun to reach it.

Young elephants that have seen their mothers poached will wake up screaming in the middle of the night: believed to be a form of PTSD.

Elephants have the ability to imitate sounds and is believed to be used in socializing; an example being Mlaika who imitated truck noises she heard from a highway two miles away

Elephants have shown forms of death rituals, altruism towards other species' as well as their own, signs of depression and mourning as well as displays of pure joy such as when a baby elephant is born.
    (I like elephants okay)

Bonobos, unlike chimpanzees (and humans), don't rape and murder believed to be because they use types of sexual contact, with no regard to age or sex, to deal with emotion and calm themselves. The most common form of sexual contact in the species is female-female genital rubbing.

#49 Bebop, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Babies masturbate...[let it sink in]... no, really they do.

11. 4ever Hearth

:roflmao: now that would be a sight.

"Waffles done." -Back kicks the handle of the pan and send them flying through the air, landing perfectly stacked onto the previously made plate. Moments before the rogue pan busts your knee-cap-