Anyone else used to homophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I guess I used to be pretty ignorant but I never really went out of my way to hate on gays. It's more like I'd say dumb stuff about them without really knowing what I was even talking about. It wasn't exclusive to gays either I said and did a lot of things just to conform to the popular opinion without thinking about whether or not I really agreed with it on principle. Well it's the past anyways, and I'd like to think I've become a much better person since then :slight_smile:

2. imDia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say that I was homophobic, but I didn't stand up to those who were.

There was this girl who kind of outed herself and she was bullied before, only because she was gothic.
    Anyway she was bullied before she came out but it got worse when she came out.

Whenever girls said something I just stood there and pretended to laugh as well, or say "yeah" if people looked at me and expected me to say something.
    It was also the time I started to figure out that I am not straight so I felt horrible and cried some night's.

Now I wish I had the straingh to say something back or at least say sorry to this girl and others who felt bad about my so called 'friends'

Now almost 3 years later I talk to any of these people anymore which I am happy for because it only lasted until we finished school and then they didn't bother anymore.

#22 imDia, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't homophobic, and I even tried to stop other kids from bulling the "perceived" gay kids. but I definitely was misinformed and believed a lot of stereotypes.

4. worriedWardrobe

Not really homophobic, I just didn't know what to think. To me, LBGT people were incredibly interesting, but I didn't want to talk to them because I was afraid of offending the person. It probably helped that the first gay man I met was my 7th grade English teacher, and he is one of my favorite teachers ever.

The only time being called "gay" as an insult ever bothered me was the very beginning of sixth grade. After that, I adopted a "who cares what you think" attitude. Also, my standard response to that "insult" was to yell "I love you too".

And this was all years before I even began to question...

5. Bolin

Hmmm...the religion I was raised in (or, rather, the people in it) taught me to be homophobic, but I guess I managed to subvert that teaching that was ingrained in my head. I never had a problem with LGBT individuals and never spoke out against them or said anything mean, whereas people in the same religion as I was would do so at every mention of the words "gay" or "lesbian." Now, I actually chastise those same people for saying hurtful things about LGBT individuals. :slight_smile:

6. Interesting. What you were raised?

7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be kind of homophobic because everyone always assumed I was gay and I didn't think it was fair for people to make that assumption about me. I think it was more of a self-hating type of homophobia, because I really didn't have a problem with others that are gay. Actually, now that I think about it the gay people in my classes kind of flocked to me... Hm, I never thought about that before. Lol

8. an0nchick

Oh, man.... I have some stories....I was a total asshole...Even now, being semi-out, I act homophobic around people who don't know, but cry in front of people who do know.

9. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

I can honestly say with a clear conscience, that I have never been homophobic whatsoever; even before I came out as gay myself. :slight_smile:

10. Lark

Lark Guest

Okay, fess up time. I am still a little bit homophobic to people. I've never been against gay people, but I kind of subconciously avoided the subject in my own head. Ironically, now that I know what I am, I'm more against gays than before. I force myself to say 'gay' every now and then as a pejorative, and I join in when other people say gay sex is 'gross'.
    It kind of makes me feel sick and a little bit awful, but it's a pretty surefire way of putting people off the scent. Not sure if it's worth it though-unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice.

11. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

Yes, I regret to say that I was homophobic in the past.

In my defense, everyone I know is homophobic to some degree, and most do not even believe that alternate sexual orientations exist. I think that I started to change my views a few years before starting to come out to myself. Maybe I was starting to see that I was a Lesbian and needed to reconcile my feelings about homosexuality before coming out to myself.

12. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not on purpose :slight_smile: I used to get really uncomfortable around gay people and sometimes my tongue would slip and I'd say something extremely homophobic...

13. caadam

caadam Guest

I was homophobic, but oddly enough, at different times in my life. When I was younger, I
    didn't think much about homosexuality (or any sexuality)—all I knew is that boys were
    with girls, and that was it. I was terribly naive until around the middle of junior high.

Then in high school, I didn't think much about it. I had gay friends, bisexual friends,
    lesbian friends, and straight friends, and I was fine with it. At that point, I was pretty
    confused about my own orientation, though; in fact, I was scared about coming out,
    even when I sort of did. I thought I was bisexual, but everyone around me saw people
    who said they were bisexual as confused or so desperate that they would take anything
    that came their way. *sigh*

In the back of my mind, I still struggled with homosexuality because of my upbringing. I
    grew up in a Baptist household with conservative values which taught me that gays were
    all sinners and were going to hell. It ate me up, despite another part of me that believed
    homosexuality was natural and all right. So after high school, I kept on trying to figure
    out my own sexuality, but very privately.

Then, when I was around 21, I went back into Christianity full force. I became pretty
    homophobic at that point, and for a good while. I even emotionally hurt a girl that was
    trying to come out with people she trusted. I seriously regret it, but I hope that
    wherever she is right now in life, she's happy. I honestly really liked her.

But now, as I've steadily come to realization of my own beliefs and how they go against
    reality, I've stepped away from that path and have been way more sympathetic and
    accepting of the LGBT community—and a good part of that is because I'm a part of it,
    lol. I never realized it until recently as I came to terms with my orientation. And I'm
    happy about that.

If only I can now start coming out to people that I trust and care about. It's going to be
    hard, but in time, I guess.