I feel almost... genderless??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by orangeyskies, Mar 1, 2013.

1. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't identify in my head as any gender really, even though I'm a girl. I just don't feel particularly like I'm more feminine or masculine, female or male. If I had to choose, I'd say I lean a little bit to the masculine side, and this makes it weird for me to say that I'm lesbian. In my head, it feels natural to like girls, like I guess it feels for straight people?
    For example, the reason I was just thinking of this- when my mom found out I was lesbian. She asked me, "So do you like any guys at school?" and I was like "No, mom, I'm not gay!"
    That was strange for her and I had to explain myself out of that one :grin:
    Does anyone else know how I feel or what all this is? Sorry I'm so confusing, I can't even explain it to myself!

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Sounds to me like you could be agender. I'm the same way, what with not feeling particularly masculine or feminine, or even particularly male or female, and that's how I identify. If you can find and read some accounts from other agender-identifying individuals online, you'll probably find other parallels between their experience and yours.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand completely!

I probably lean more toward masculine when it comes to personality traits and roles in relationships, but I kind of take qualities I like from both genders and merge them so I can be the best of both worlds.

I'm biologically female and fine with it, but, I never understood girly girls. I'm not really a tomboy either though... That's why I identify as female with genderqueer tendencies.
    :slight_smile:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agender is a real gender identity, and the way you feel is not unique. You're in good company.

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I actually feel the same, a lot of the time. I don't really feel feminine yet I'm perfectly fine with being biologically female and I go by female pronouns.. meanwhile I feel more masculine in my head. Somewhat agender in a sense but I still identify as female and feel comfortable doing so.

6. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I id find the "I'm not gay" bit in your post funny, and yea agender is a thing, though I don't know much on it. Life is complex.

7. TheUglyBarnacle

Pretty much this.

8. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely feel somewhat the same, but for me mostly it is just I feel like me and assigning masculine or feminine, or male or female feels completely arbitrary and pointless. I have a male body which I don't see as being anything as just being what it is. It doesn't define me.

9. kem

kem

That's exactly how I feel.
    Why it is so is beyond my understanding. I am physically a male but in my head I rarely think of myself as being of either gender. Consequentially, I don't always realise that people talk about me when they refer to a boy, which causes some problems occasionally. Not fitting into the traditional gender role has caused some internal turmoil too.

Most of the time though, being agender has little impact on my daily life. I am what I am and I needn't bother myself with the whys and hows of it. I don't see any reason in trying to find a minuscule niche to fit myself into; I'm okay with being referred to as a boy although I don't understand why it has significance. Although if I get the chance I'll explain my gender identity thoroughly, though it doesn't matter much either.

Sorry for being so apathetic; I believe equanimity is the key to a good life.

10. TurtleRage

I actually used to feel this way when I was younger. My mom used to dress me in girly clothes and it didn't feel right. I honestly thought I was born the wrong gender. I liked being a female, but I didn't really see myself as a female. It's hard to explain. lol Now I dress more like a guy, but I feel like a female. I feel feminine, but I feel more comfortable dressing and acting more masculine. I don't desire sex from either gender or any person, but I would like to have a romantic relationship with a man.

#10 TurtleRage, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  11. ameliawesome

haha i love your "i'm not gay" statement to your mom. i can relate to your confusion. i'm fine with my female body *most* of the time, i mean i wouldn't ever physically change myself from one gender to another. but i do refer to myself as "he" inside my own head. i'm cool enough with being referred to as "she" by others, but when i'm thinking of myself i've always used male pronouns, even as a little girl who did not know anything about lgbt stuff. if someone were to mistakenly use male pronouns in reference to me i'd be cool with that too. and if i had been born male, if i were still the same person only inside a male body, i'm sure i'd be gay anyway. so whatever my gender, i'm gay. i don't know what it all means or why it is that way, but i accept it :slight_smile:

12. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Heh, l agree with the poster above. l am actually male inside of my head. No need for pronouns since l'm not talking about myself in the third person in my mind, or using a name either. But l am male in my mind.

l don't label it, it's always been a thing. l just assume the same or at least a degree of it in other people.

The only time it was truly weird to me was last year when l was shopping for new bras and caught myself thinking l was going to be seen in the lingerie section as a male and given weird looks. l really believed it.

Would be less weird if l had a masculine expression, l don't. Femme-ish, but unless l'm directly in front of a mirror, l am completely ignorant of this fact.

13. prism

I've never been bothered by being a girl, so I've never questioned my gender. Liking girls has always seemed natural to me though. I remember coming out to my best friend in 7th grade, and I never would have expected the Hell that ensued when other kids found out. One student even went out of her way to tell my mom, "She's telling everyone that she's gay." When my mom asked me, I fervently denied it and didn't talk or think about my sexuality until this past summer.

14. 461 467

Does anyone have any links with detailed reading on what agender is all about?

There are aspects of the concept that are a bit hard for me to understand at the moment, so I would like to learn more about it.

15. castle walls

I kind of feel the same. I'm perfectly okay with having a female body but I don't really feel like I have a gender. I feel in the middle but I don't really care about gender so this doesn't bother me

16. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of feel the same way sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I feel very much like a woman/female and mostly love that I am one. I also don't mind identifying with traditionally 'feminine' things, looks-wise. But at other times I innately feel like my personality could be either way -- perhaps not genderless, but I just feel like... myself, not necessarily male or female, if that makes any sense. I'm just me.