1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do bigots deserve compassion?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Everyone deserves compassion.

2. DhammaGamer

One should display compassion and love for all sentient beings. We are all suffering, without exception, and so our love should be boundless for those who suffer, without exception.

3. Sure, why not? I couldn't care less unless they are insulting us publicily; humiliating us, and not keeping their bloody opinion to themselves. I don't care if they're silent haters; so I guess the answer is sometimes?

4. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think so, I mean their bigotry is only caused by fear, misinformation and strongly felt emotions. I believe most don't mean ill will or are trying to hurt us purposely, it's just that their beliefs and ignorance cause collateral damage.

Maybe I'm too nice but I feel compassion for them, I don't know it's peculiar.

#24 RedMage, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    100% agree with you here.

Its hard, even in our families and circle of friends. But what good is it to do to segregate and alienate the "enemy?" Above all else we are people, and thats what I think we should strive for, however this might be my optimistic youth showing.

I know I'll vote against bills that are hate filled, and that such people will still be around for decades to come, and I'll be dealing with such right denial for awhile, however I know I can do my best in the local level, and in my understanding. We should all be working to make the world better.

6. Rev 22 20

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of hard to show compassion for people that constantly tell you how you're going to hell, how mentally ill you are for who you love, or any other cruel things along those lines.

I don't have compassion for them. Why should I? They have NONE for us.

7. burg

nice quote:icon_bigg

8. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Yes, they do. Show them YOUR compassion and stir in them their own. Let them find it through you! <3 :slight_smile:

9. HalfInsane

I'm going to sound nitpicky, but I don't like the word deserve (definition: Do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment)). I don't think that, by the true definition of the word, that they 'deserve' compassion. But I also don't believe one needs to 'deserve' compassion to receive it. I think it is important to be compassionate towards others even if they do not show compassion in return.

10. Clowstar

i think the children that are forced to do it (i.e. westboro baptist church) deserve compassion because they usually don't know what they're doing. they don't know what half of the words on their signs mean.

otherwise, i'd say no unless they show that they apologize. when you're knowingly spreading so much hate, you don't deserve my compassion. i'm sorry. i'm either going to ignore you or call you out on your bigotry.

11. I am inclined to agree.

12. therunawaybff

I feel bad for 'em, because I was raised in a pervasive atmosphere of homophobia and as a result I myself was pretty homophobic for a long time.

Even though I felt instant attraction to my boyfriend, I almost refused to even become friends with him because of it. I was raised to believe it's a damnable sin and I thought if I could avoid him, I could avoid feeling like that about him.

But we did did become friends, and eventually more than that. I almost fought my boyfriend off and grappled him to the ground the first time he kissed me in college because I was so conflicted about it. (If I had hit him then, instead of kissing him back, our entire relationship may never have even happened.)

tl; dr I feel bad for bigots 'cause I used to be one.

13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i mean if someone is wilfully bigoted towards anyone, they don't deserve anything more

14. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    “If he were allowed contact with foreigners he would discover that they are creatures similar to himself and that most of what he has been told about them is lies. The sealed world in which he lives would be broken, and the fear, hatred, and self-righteousness on which his morale depends might evaporate. It is therefore realized on all sides that however ofter Persia, or Egypt, or Java, or Ceylon may change hands, the main frontiers must never be crossed by anything except bombs.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

15. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Intolerance toward prejudice is not another kind of prejudice. It's self-defense.

16. Emberblaze

The first minute of that video just made me feel like shit... Like defeated prey trapped in a corner by a group of vicious monsters (not predators, MONSTERS)...

That was a really under-the-belt blow there....

And what they're doing at the solider's funerals? that's just DISGUSTING... I don't feel like shit anymore, now I'm pissed the fuck off and every second I spend watching this video makes me wanna beat the shit outta this guy write a sternly worded message to this guy...

#36 Emberblaze, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  17. Mogget

You know why they do their pickets at soldiers' funerals? Because when they did them at the funerals of AIDS victims, no one except the LGBT community cared.

18. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I imagine that most bigots are so bigoted because they have been deluded by their parents or other sources for information. I can't really think of anyone who would be willfully bigoted other than bullies who just decided that they will be bigots at a certain group because they seem like easy victims, or, at least in the case of LGBT... bigotry, closeted people lashing out to try and hide themselves.

19. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    have you ever spoken w/ any real bigots?
    things like the KKK don't happen b/c of 'delusion from their parents'

20. castle walls

I couldn't agree more