1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attracted to the portrayal of men, but not actual men

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Parsley, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a little confused about my feelings towards men. I can be attracted sort of to the idea of men or the portrayal of men, but in person I don't really like men. Generally I don't want to be physically close to men, but if I see a hot guy on tv I can have "he's hot" run through my head. And then it leaves me wondering if I'd actually want to date or physically be close to that guy on tv. Actually girls are the reverse situation since I find them even MORE appealing in person than on tv.

So like pictures of men or movies of men are fine. Men in person = meh

If I met a guy as hot as the ones on tv, would I be attracted to him in person?

I suppose it might not matter because I know that I do like girls in person. I'm just trying to sort through some of my lingering confusing thoughts. As always I appreciate the help.

2. are you sure your confusion is because of MEN or because of attributes associated with men in media? just asking for clarification because that was what i got out of reading what you gave us thus far

3. BornInTexas

Maybe you just haven't come across one that sparks a connection in real life? Seems to be the case with me, as well. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

4. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are you asking if I'm attracted to a quality of men on tv as opposed to attracted to them as a whole? Like attracted to their glamor or success or talent? I suppose it could be something like that. I only have two maybe crushes on guys in my whole life and both were highly succesful well known artists. I suppose that could explain those.

5. Deaf Not Blind

hmmm...interesting. Life is not as simple as black and white is it? SUCKS!

I have no real clue either so I am gonna say until I am done with whatever transitioning I do I will not close the door to love...if somebody I meet I like and they like me, I only will say I want them to be similar in beliefs and not married!

6. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say your attracted the qualities that are displayed and not the men themselves, as such in person, the qualities you may like are harder to notice because the situation doesn't bring them out, thus less or no attraction to men in person.

One thing to consider is what is the attractive drive as its quite easy to be bi romantic or other such terms and not have physical interest in men.

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l am attracted to the qualities on TV and IRL like some others have said.

But even straight men have a "bromance" kind of thing. l can't look at pics of guys l think are...l don't even know what you would call them.

Like l love James Spader and love watching him on TV because l think he's so cool. But just looking it a pic, meh. it's all personality.

And though l'd like to be seen with him because he is just so cool, l do not want to go any further XD

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Is it ather your insecurity around men that is at issue?

Do you feel inferior to other "men" because you are gay?

It appears to me that this question may just be another mask for an old human problem.

Be sure about your emotional motivations.

As an exercise write out all the emotional, physical and behavioural aspects of your "perfect" man. Be as long winded and specific as possible. Then write out your role in the relationship (eg: you want to be dominant, equal, submissive).

You may find this informative.

9. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel, sort of. I find guys more attractive than girls at first glance but I'm capable if a stronger connection to women, I think, which makes me more attracted to individual women than I can be with men. Or something like that. :S