1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old were you when you realized you are gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BDE7, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known since I was about 7 that I naturally liked other girls. Though up to that point I was indoctrinated into thinking that I was just a feminine straight guy. I knew something wasn't adding up to what I was being told by everyone; but it wasn't until the horrors of male sex education and the wrong puberty kicking in that I had the red flags. Coming to terms with being a lesbian in the wrong body is very confusing to say the least. :confused:

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always felt this way, but stopped trying to change and accepted myself at 19.

3. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just avoided it till the friday before Christmas last year actually, so 17.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've always had an incline towards girls, but I fully realized at about age 15.

5. Femme

Realized I had feelings for women when I was 23. Never acted on it until I was maybe 28 or 29.

6. CarrotSticks

Out Status:
    A few people
    Uhm.. recently.

Cuz I kinda figured out I wasn't philophobic after all lol ^~^;;

7. GingerGuy

I started phantasizing about me right when I entered puberty, when I was around twelve.

But I only came to the full on realization of my gayness when I was 15/16, while living living in Chicago.

8. Kinjas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Felt the attraction at 13. Thought about doing it at 16. Did it at 25. Still haven't accepted it yet.

9. elitechris

when I had my first crushes on two guys lol
    so age 8/3rd grade

10. After some hefty discussions with friends, we decided that coming out before 16 can be quite damaging. In my case, I came out around 13. Since then, I have realised that I'm not gay and never was; it's very natural when in puberty to have an interest in he same gender, and doesn't imply homosexuality at all. People often jump the gun at that age and almost force themself to be gay unnaturally. That is definitely what happened for me. I respect those that come out 'later', as in 16 or older.

11. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was 14 when I fully realized & accepted it. I had no problem accepting it though, because I'm happy being a lesbian. :slight_smile:

12. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I always kinda knew but I thought that was 'cause I didn't hit puberty yet. Then at 11 at around the end of school so many guys were talking about girls, and i just zoned out of the conversations then I realised that I was gay.

13. BudderMC

Unless any of those friends are gay (or heavily versed in the area of non-heterosexuality for some reason), I call BS.

Most theories I've heard of (and I'm talking at least somewhat scientifically proven theories) as to why homosexuality exists and when it occurs agree on the idea that it's determined prenatally (i.e. when you're still in the womb).

The one theory that doesn't follow that (but mimics your idea that same-sex interest is natural) states that that occurs before puberty, and then attractions become solidified at puberty.

Coming out earlier or later doesn't affect what you're attracted to. It may affect your levels of confidence and consequently where in the stages of grief you lie (i.e. denial, bargaining), but not your actual orientation.

However, if you have some evidence that'll state otherwise, I'd actually be really interested in seeing it.

14. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

16 (3 months ago) is when I came to actually realize and accept it, but thinking back probably around 10.

15. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Folks,

I am a 53 year old guy married for 25 years, no kids, and following a midlife crisis in my mid 40s started to think that I may be gay.

I have always felt different to other guys like not being interested in contact sports etc. but I put that down at the time to being interested in other outdoors activities like mountaineering. When at university I did come into contact with openly gay guys but never felt drawn to, or repulsed by, them they were just other regular guys as far as I was concerned. That should have been a big hint to myself but I missed it!

Looking back on my life there were clues it’s just that I did not recognise them at the time, and only now with the benefit of hindsight do I recognise that internalised homophobia prevented me from seeing the truth at the time. Several of my best mates later turned out to be gay

I have now accepted and feel relatively comfortable with the fact that I am gay, and feel no discomfort typing those words in this forum. I am also aware that the clock is ticking and that although I have achieved many interesting things in my lifetime I have probably never truly lived and loved as I was designed to.

I know from the internet that coming out is a journey that starts with the realisation that you are different and then accepting yourself as gay. The next step is to come-out to someone who you trust and it is much easier if that person is also gay. I think that I am some way between these stages

SaleGayGuy

#35 SaleGayGuy, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  16. Jordz

I realized when I was 12

17. ConnDonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was 13 when I realised, but I didn't accept it till a few months ago :slight_smile:

18. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I first thought I might not be straight sometime in my mid-teens (I don't remember exactly when), but I didn't seriously consider the idea until last year when I realized I had abnormally strong feelings for a female friend. I'm still not done questioning yet.

19. Just Jess

I guess I've always known I liked other girls, but just so there's a definite number, when I was 20 I tried kissing a guy at a party. No no no.

20. I'm not saying that this is always the case, I just think that people can sometimes get the wrong idea about being gay because of some hormonal feelings. That certainly happened to me and two people I have spoken to that felt the same way.

It's probably a rare occasion, but because people can get confused during puberty (and of course they can; hormones create much more unusual feelings than same-sex interest) it can lead them to confusion about their sexuality later on. A lot of people think they are straight and later in life realise that they are gay; who are you to say that doesn't happen to gay people later in life? It doesn't seem at all unlikely to me.