Would you date someone with low self-esteem?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BornInTexas, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would have some worries about dating a person with low self-esteem, because I don't want to try or have to fix anyone. However, I feel like to say no would be pretty bad too. I mean, people with low self-esteem do, on some level, need other people to put energy into them. Without a certain amount of love, a person with low self-esteem cannot make the corrections necessary to have a healthier outlook.

I think it's a bit catch-22 to say "I won't date you until you have higher self-esteem, even though I know that would probably be considerably helped by me dating you. You're just out of luck, I guess."

So, I want to say yes, I would.

2. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with what you said and when I was younger I use to complain a lot!! But as I've matured I've learn't to deal with it and try to resolve the issues the best way I can but it's still very hard.:icon_sad:

3. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes. I would have not one problem with it, and would always be there to help her & do all I could to make her feel better.

4. bob94

I'm the type of person who likes making others feel happy. So I feel like I definitely could date a person with low self confidence, just as long as I could get their confidence a little higher. I also find humbleness to be really attractive, and I hate arrogance and cockiness. Overall, I really wouldn't have an issue with it.

5. FemCasanova

I could, and am :lol:

It can be tiresome, but it completely depends on how this person is dealing with his/her low self-esteem. Often it is the symptoms of it that can be a bit of a struggle, like jelousy issues, codependency, constant texting/phone-calls, etc.

Having a low sef-esteem isn`t bad, in the sense that it would bother me, I would just do my best to make the person feel good and attractive through compliments and such. I know some people find it unattractive, but I don`t. It`s quite fine with me, but the jelousy and the codependency issues that sometimes follow is unattractive. So, yeah, completely depends on how the person deals with it. And how much the low-selfesteem ends up punishing me :icon_wink

6. Gen

Gen

Blatantly put. Entire Low Self-Esteem. No.......... Insecurities. Yes.

I have dealt with obsessive tendencies and perfectionism, and growing up in a very critical family, insecurities grew on trees throughtout my childhood. I have overcome them now.(Though I still may naturally have just a few obsessive tendencies. Just a few! I just like to have a few things in order, they dont control me.... I can quit whenever I want to!!!!) Anyway, I never had low self-esteem or self-worth. Insecurity is being insecure about something, which ultimately we all are about atleast one thing. I'm sure none of us believe we are completely perfect. But having low self-esteem is feeling overall 'low' of yourself.

As someone who loves to help and console people, I obviously do not see people with low self-esteem as hopeless. Regardless of whether I was interested in this person or not, I would definitely try to help them with their demons, but I dont believe I could be actively in a relationship with someone who was struggling with it at that time.

Truthfully, I dont believe it is optimal for someone trying to deal with self-esteem issues to deal with it through/in a relationship because their significant other is going to be the foundation for their self growth. Should that foundation fall, their self-worth will likely plummet with it. So yes, insecurities, everyone should have a few. If it is just his looks, but he knows he is a bright, intelligent guy than I am fine with that. But Low self-esteem entirely, no. However, I would do everything I could to reach out to them as a friend.

7. bambam07

My only ex-gf had incredibly low self-esteem, which was fine except that made up 90% of what she talked about and the other 10% she seemed to completely contradict herself talking about how people kept hitting on her, how many exes she had, etc, etc.

That being said, I have low self-esteem, but I'd never pull the whole "You could do so much better than me, you should date someone else" stuff with someone I was dating. I keep it to myself and try to help myself.

So: I'd probably give it a shot, but it can't be something that gets in the way of just having normal conversations or things like hugging, kissing, or the small things.

I'd prefer confident people though. They're just so damn hot and in control :wink:

8. I imagine being honored with my attention would raise anyone's self esteem.