Who should text first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob94, Feb 16, 2013.

1. bob94

Hello EC, long time no see. :slight_smile:

I know this "problem" is completely minimal compared to what is usually discussed on these forums, but here it goes:

There is a guy that works for the same place I work at, and I really like him. He's gay, and I asked him if he was doing anything for Valentine's Day. He wasn't doing anything, so I asked him if he'd like to get coffee. We went for coffee late at night and, in my opinion, it went really well. It was more of a getting to know one another sort of thing. We talked for a couple of hours, and didn't end up leaving until the coffee house was closing. We didn't hug/kiss/anything like that, which made sense to me, because he and I are both pretty shy people.

Here's the problem: That was two days ago, and we still haven't texted or talked one another (we never work the same shift). I don't want to come off as desperate, so I thought I'd let him text first. He's also a couple of years older (I'm a freshman in college, he's a junior), so I feel like it's a little strange for the younger of the two to always be the one to initiate conversation. What do you guys think of the situation? Should I text him, or just wait?

Oh, and just a side note. The only reason I was brave enough to ask him out was because I thought he might like me. He invited me to this organization on campus that he's the president of and, when we worked together, he would always come up and talk to me.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Rexmond

If he's shy just as you are, he could also feel the same way, and may want to wait for you to text him first. I wouldn't leave it for too long, things may get awkward.

3. Minx

Well, you said you both are shy. Both of you are probably waiting for the other.

So, text him. :lol:

4. Honor

Be bold be brash just send him a simple txt saying yes...i know wat its like anxiously waiting to hear from someone...take that pressure off and txt first :grin:

5. All Star

All Star Guest

I say text him! You won't seem clingy if he really likes you, so go for it!

6. Tiny Catastrophe

Well if you're both shy he may be feeling the same way you are. Just text him a "hey what's up" and see what happens. We humans tend to over analyze things at times.

7. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two shy people in a relationship is kind of like the question of the unstoppable force meeting the immovable object.

I'm sure that he can come up with plenty of reasons in his mind as to why you should be the one texting him first, the same way that you are doing with him.

I'd say: text him.

You may have to text him first the next time after that, but then it will be reasonable for you to expect him to start pulling his weight and doing a bit of the contacting.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Text him the following: "I'm thinking about you too + :slight_smile:"

and see what happens....

9. ForceAndVerve

Stop reading the relies in this thread and text him!

10. bob94

Thanks everybody. I guess it really was kind of a silly question. I texted him, and it was just fine. He's so sweet. :slight_smile:

11. Minx

Yay! :slight_smile: