1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight pride. Offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reptillian

IMHO, it's ok to make a group exclusively for artworks that is about heterosexuality and it's ok if they don't want to see homosexual artworks. But, bashing others for their sexuality is fruitless when there's more important things to care about. Oh, I am a watcher of the straight-and-proud as it's easier to find artworks which portrays heterosexuality and not because I am proud that I'm hetero.

#61 Reptillian, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. SwirlingOcean

THIS.

Plus you are extra awesome for having Andrew Jackson Jihad as your sig.

3. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

Straight pride is fair enough although some of this straight pride club stuff seems a bit hostile. It doesn't sound like it is actually about straight pride but about mocking LGBT/ gay pride... I don't really know what to think of it tbh

4. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

It's back.

@thedreamwatch Awesome picture!

This. :slight_smile:

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

This thread is from February, I don't think there's much more to say about it, "straight pride" is a silly concept that 99% of the time is just used as a thinly veiled cover for homophobia. Straights are NOT discriminated against in our society, they enjoy all the privilege and power, the fact that they want to have a "straight pride" parade in an attempt to re-assert their dominance over society is indeed offensive.

6. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Straight pride = superfluous. LGBT pride movements serve the purpose of allowing a minority group to express its (pretty f*cking colorful!) identity in the face of oppression and marginalization. As the dominant/mainstream sexual orientation, what could "straight people" possibly feel the need to express or gain from this movement, and what purpose could it serve but to further marginalize LGBT people?

That is all.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reactionary movements usually are.

8. justjade

Straight pride sounds nice. I think everyone should be allowed to express their pride in who they are, be it individually or as a group. But the second it straight pride turns homophobic, it's not OK anymore. We should always be for things instead of against them. It's really important to me that we keep things positive.

9. JPC

JPC Guest

:roflmao: I nearly fell off my chair. Congratulations, you just won the internet.

10. Colours

Not offensive to me, no. I can honestly see why (especially straight) people don't see the need of our Gay Pride things. I honestly don't myself. We want to be accepted, want homosexuality to be seen as normal and natural, yet differentiate ourselves by having such events. I think it's counterproductive in a way.

Of course, the point is that we are 'proud' despite the struggle and all. I get that. Therefore, I don't see the point in straight pride events. Still, I think it's nothing but a natural reaction of straight folks to do have their straight pride.

An ideal world would have neither of the two.

11. Hexagon

Do you think bisexuals could join? I mean, bisexuals are allowed into gay pride, and we're half way in between. :slight_smile:

No, I'm not asking out of personal interest.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say in the context it is being used it is being offensive, and for sure some of the posters in there are being offensive, if not full blown homophobic.

13. Hun

Hun

I don't think it's offensive as a joke, but the people who honestly think that straight pride should be a thing are probably the same ones who think white history month should also be a thing.

14. ScatteredEarth

I think they are doing it just to purely mock gay pride, which I do take offense to. Straight people do not need to openly express their pride as they are already accepted everywhere. It's about showing people that they should accept other people's choices on how they want to go through life whether they like it personally or not. /endrant :slight_smile:

15. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I don't think it's offensive up to a certain extent, where it just gets homophobic. If there was a "Straight Pride Parade", I'd expect heterosexuals to get along with LGBT people just as LGBT people would with heterosexuals, it shouldn't be a homophobic action, just like LGBT pride parades aren't.

I know many heterosexuals who go to LGBT prides because they enjoy it and find it fun, because we're not heterophobic (or whatever the word is for the opposite of homophobic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) So thinking about it vice versa, I'd like to go to a straight pride parade because I enjoy it and because it isn't homophobic. That sorta thing. :grin:

Whether this made sense or not, I do not know, but I hope it did. o.o

16. destiny99

destiny99 Guest

For the most part, I'm just glad that they aren't actually against other sexual orientations. But, honestly, yeah, I do find it a bit offensive. Gay pride is about finally being able to accept yourself, after years of being told that it's wrong, after hating yourself, after coming out and not being accepted 100% of the time. On the extreme, it's about being proud after being disowned, beaten, or bullied horribly. I mean, come off it! I can't even imagine a straight pride event, or even worse, a straight help center. Well, whatever makes them happy, I guess.

17. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I couldn't care anymore than the effort that i am currently putting into this message.

18. biggayguy

The whole Thanksgiving Day parade could be viewed as straight pride. It's all about family and tradition, mom and pumpkin pie. Anything else is a mockery of gay pride. It's totally unnecessary IMO.

19. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    to me its as if they are furthering the us and them, kinda saying they have a group and a name so should we. But they miss the whole point , the reason we have a community is because we are not accepted in society, we are bullied and beaten and sometimes killed.We march to show we are not going any where and for our rights, they dont need to do that , they are accepted and have all their rights.

20. biggayguy

White pride sounds like a white supremacist thing. Just a very short step to Nazi philosophy.

#80 biggayguy, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.