1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning Languages

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Seanathon, Feb 11, 2013.

?

What language(s) do you speak?

1. English

77 vote(s)
    98.7%
  2. Spanish

32 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. French

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Italian

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Portuguese

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. German

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  7. Hindustani (Hindi and/or Urdu)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Japanese

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. Chinese (any dialect)

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Korean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Indonesian

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Thai

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  13. Polish

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  14. Greek

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  15. Arabic

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  16. Russian

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  17. Persian

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  18. Romanian

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  19. Dutch

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  20. Hebrew

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BlackSwan

My native language is Spanish.
    I've learnt French since I was 4-5 years old (I actually was at a french school :icon_bigg ); English since 11 years old (but took it more seriously since I was like 18 :lol: ); Italian: after finishing school and now I'm trying to learn some Russian by myself :sunglasses:

2. OutwardSmiles

There should be sign language on here. My native language is English, but I've been learning Spanish since 6th grade (year 7) and I learned to speak sign language at a very early age to communicate with a deaf girl who I was friends with.

3. Colours

Fluent Dutch (mother's tongue) and pretty much fluent English. I can speak a little bit of German and French but I hardly count those. I know a few words Japanese and would love to learn it. =)

4. ultrabluecheese

I speak to my mom in a mix of Vietnamese and Spanish. (She herself learned Spanish from all her Latina friends when she first came over to the US from Vietnam. Ironically, she can't speak English well at all!) So, I've hard those two languages hardwired into me since I was a kid. I've studied Spanish for nearly eight years now--since I was a high school freshman to now, a college senior. I finally decided to take my first Vietnamese class, and I absolutely love it. I definitely intend to continue my Vietnamese education beyond undergrad!

Alongside Vietnamese and Spanish, I'm also learning German, Czech, and Greek on my own. Luckily, these are Indo-European languages, so that means that they share similar patterns such as subject-verb conjugation, grammar cases, and sometimes the Latin alphabet. There are also a lot of cognates among the Indo-European languages, which definitely helps! :slight_smile:

5. jazzrawr

At the moment I only speak English and very basic French, but I'm learning Latin in school. Hopefully I'll have a grasp of it by the time I graduate.

6. Andane

Well, I'm a native english speaker, and I did take 2 years of spanish back in middle school. However, by this point I retain very little of it :/ But currently I'm in my third year of Japanese in high school. Definitely wouldn't say I'm fluent, but I can carry on conversations and I know the writing system (except I'm kinda terrible at kanji :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Plus, I went on a class trip to Japan with 9 other people last summer for two weeks and it was an amazing experience and I picked up so much while I was there, especially since one week was spent with a host family speaking almost exclusively japanese (filled with embarrassing miscommunication of course -_-").

7. davmnd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know whether I should consider my native language to be Galician or Spanish. Either way, I'm native level fluent on both. Also, knowing Galician let's me understand quite a lot of portuguese, depending on accents, although I can't speak it. Other than that, the language I'm better at is English. I've been studying it all my life, even outside school, and I also took a change to expend three weeks in the UK living with a family, plus three more weeks in the US last summer, and I also have some friends from Lithuania and some others from the Netherlands to whom I have to speak English. I've also took French courses for two years a while ago, but nowadays I really can't remember anything.

About future plans, I'm probably going to start taking German courses next year, if my schedule is good enough, and I'm interested in learning Japanese too, though I'll have to do that by myself since there aren't good courses here.

8. StormySea

It's almost become traditional for the women in my family to learn 5+ languages (My aunt knew Greek, German, Spanish, Russian, Italian and English; my grandmother knew Russian, Italian, English, German, Hebrew, and French; great grandmother knew Italian, English, French, Spanish, etc.- and all of them were fluent in at least 4 languages .-.)
    I currently know Italian, English and am learning Spanish, German, Russian, Norwegian and Swedish. :3

9. The Japanese is a little high for my liking - I suspect many of them are the kind of people that like anime so they learned a few words in Japanese and decided they know it.

Also, imo Dutch was the most fun for me to learn. For a linguist, the Dutch grammar is truly fantastic - possibly even better than English!

10. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll learn anything. I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning languages. French, Italian, and Greek formally. Spanish, Tagalog, and bits and pieces of others independently.