Is this considered transphobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thebrightficus, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim

I think people should just like who they like. Who cares if you're gay but you like an FtM person? If you like them, you like them. If you don't, you don't. People fall in love with people, not their genitals, or their genders.

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people

Yeahhh. But no. The person is biologically male. l won't get into the sex=/=gender discussion when it concerns my own orientation but l just don't view homosexuality as something that should change so easily if a person alters themselves that way.

l don't view sexual attraction as being based purely on appearance, is my point. lt shouldn't be that easily influenced by appearance if it's hardwired.

lf it is then l'm not sure l consider it homosexuality on a level l'd be comfortable identifying with, there's no reason l can think of for a person's orientation to revolve solelyon appearance.

This is basically what keeps straight people from sexing someone they find attractive, they are only physically attracted to one sex for what l consider to be biological reasons unless they're just types who are suppressing some desire.

lf l were attracted to an MTF who hadn't even transitioned, l think l'd still have to label myself bisexual no matter how they identified.

Which wouldn't be the end of the world.

l do think there are some underlying biological factors, triggers related to pheromones, etc. At least it shows up that way in gay men.

So like l said, l have no idea if the attraction would translate in real life but l'm kind of thinking it won't.

This is the same kind of thing where l REALLY REALLY REALLY liked everything "about" a boy but something about being near him physically just gradually weakened the attraction.

3. Just Jess

I think a better question would be "if it ever happened, how would I tell someone I'm not comfortable knowing they used to be a different gender". I'd focus on that question and not "am I a bad person because it makes me uncomfortable". I had to ask myself if I would be into other girls that used to be guys and my answer wasn't always yes. It felt hypocritical for a long time but sex is what sex is. I'm going to be painfully and brutally honest here, but what got me past it was finding youtube of trans women who had very nice voices. Up until then I thought you were stuck with the kinds of voices I'd heard and associated with trans-ness (and might get stuck with myself if I go that route). That were a huge turn-off. Just something you've gotta figure out for yourself.

What makes you a bad person is hurting other people. If you don't do that you're ok in my book. I don't walk on eggshells and I don't want other people to either. If I ever screw up talking to someone I just apologize. That should be good enough and if it isn't, it's not a problem I can solve. Otherwise I mean I'm new to this and have to figure out what my limits are with trans people too. I still get secretly paranoid calling myself a lesbian in front of "real" ones.

As far as if you're wondering if you could like trans people, me I do what I call the fantasy test. If I can fantasize about it and it works, then maybe there's something to it and I ask myself what I liked about it. If it's a total mood killer, then that answers that. Me in particular, I usually have to do the fantasy test twice just to be sure. It's almost always the same both times but sometimes for different reasons.

4. theskywreck

It's not transphobic, it's just your preferences.

5. Greendalehumans

I don't think it's transphobic. I was actually thinking about this earlier today. I honestly don't know if I would date a mtf only because I have no idea if I could be attracted to a transwoman. If I met someone who was transgendered and I was attracted to them then sure I'd date them (assuming they were interested in me too). One of the things about women that attract me is their gentler natures. Not to say that women are always gentle or weak, jus that in general they seem to be less prone to violence. Since a transwoman has the personality of a woman I can see myself with them.
    I hope this made sense.

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't think it's transphobic.

I personally think some mtf women are sexy as all get out though... rawr... :wink:

7. MichaelB

I think it is a little transphobic... not gunna lie.

He may be born biologically female, but he's always been male. You're not dating someone for something they can't help, so to me that seems a little... discrimination-eri really.

I mean, I suppose it depends on the context. So, this guy was perfect for you in every other way but happened to be born female, so you didn't date him. That's iffy to me, and I personally would class that as transphobic, if only to a lesser extent.

Could just be me though. :slight_smile:

8. Eatthechildren

Nah what you said is perf ^^