1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this as stupid as I feel like it is?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Nemo39122

So here's the problem. I have a few online friends from a different forum...yes I know they're online friends, but I still consider myself very close to them. I want to ask them to refer to me as male, with male pronouns and everything.

The problem is I feel like it's incredibly stupid. Awhile back I cut my hair and I could easily pass as a guy now...before I cut my hair I felt like it wouldn't be as stupid to ask them this once I could pass as a guy. Now I can, and it still feels stupid. Because guess what? Underneath the short mohawk-styled hair, underneath the binder on my chest, underneath the boxers and men's clothes, I'm still a biological female. As I type this I'm staring at the word "female" as if its completely foreign to me...I know that deep down I identify as male. But does that have anything to do with who I am? I could ask my friends to call me a giraffe, that doesn't mean I am one. That's EXACTLY how I see this.

How do you guys get past this? :bang:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only reason you think identifying as the other sex is stupid is because in normal society, you never see it. It's staring nature in the face and saying "screw you." While that statement's not ALL true, it does appear so at first glance. Going against what is accepted is going to feel ridiculous. But if that's who you REALLY are, you'll come around to the idea and love your uniqueness with all your heart. I have some habits and traits others would think are stupid, and even ones I keep secret because I think they're a little laughable sometimes. But you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead fingers if they were tangible objects. As time goes on, they are cemented as part of my identity. Sooner or later, saying you are male despite your female body will be natural as a sunrise and you wouldn't have it any other way.

#2 Argentwing, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've heard it described as the difference between what you are and who you are. If you said you were biologically male, that would not be true, but if you say you identify as male, that is true. You can truthfully say that you prefer male titles, pronouns, a male name, etc., right?

And, yeah, if you identified as a giraffe, it would be totally all right to say so, and ask people to call you a giraffe, and it wouldn't be stupid.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On a technical level, no, it wouldn't be stupid. On a functional level, however, it definitely would be. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: