Do you ever pretend to not know about typical gay things so you seem less gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoMethod, Jan 27, 2013.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I ocasionally do it. Like I sometimes pretend not to know a song from someone who has a large gay fan base or not to know about gossip things, like recently someone said to me if I heard that Kim Kardashian got pregnant, and I was like no idea, when I've already knew weeks ago. And silly things like that :/

2. Willjarvis

I wouldn't have to if I wanted to because most people I talk to are straight-acting straight men. Such matters don't come up in conversations I get to join in, so there's probably little point in me starting one.

Last Friday, we were talking about dogging, red-light districts and astronomy. While it would be quite possible bring up something gay regarding some of those topics, I'm not sure if gay people even have red-light districts outside the biggest cities. I did mention cruising, but I think it'll take more than that for them to get suspicious. Maybe saying that I liked the height on the chainsaw boots I was wearing could be construed as another hint.

3. I genuinely don't know anything bout One Direction but purposely act like I do because my friend complained I didn't know enough about popular culture. I have no objection to knowing things about One Direction, I just don't watch TV or listen to the radio, so I'm sort of oblivious.

4. 461 467

I've had an online friend for a number of years, and when I came out to him, he started talking about things that apparently every gay should know about, and I had no idea about any of it. Like George Takai. All I knew about George Takai was that he was a gay actor from Star Trek, but apparently he's a huge icon to the gay community? I really don't care for popular culture, and I don't fit many of the traditional gay stereotypes, so I'm not worried about trying to not look gay.

5. SomeKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely used to do this so much. Lately, not so much. I love 1D (Louis is my fave), watch the real housewives (ATL/BH/NJ), watch "girly" sitcoms (The Mindy Project/Gossip Girl/Glee), the "Kelly, can you handle this?" moment at the Super Bowl blew my mind, but at the same time my daily default channel is ESPN, I love sports (playing and watching), and I love math (90% of my uni classes are males). I'm basically all over the place.

6. ChandlerCurious

Yes!! All the time...I will admit it I love a good "chick flick" but I will never admit it. So I am happy when I "lose" the movie choice and chick flick it is lol!

7. leer

I have a pet hate 1D bunch of guy`s still in puberty nothing about them is real . about following the gay trend If anyone accused me of doing stuff like knowing the words to certain cher songs or acting gay am likely to punch their lights out I spend more time straight acting .

8. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Omg, I do the same! :lol:

9. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never knew One Direction had such a gay following.

10. DeanIsHome

I am like this all day when i'm with close-minded people when i'm with my real good friends i talk about Glee or how awesome Once Upon a Time was.

11. Awkward Balloon

For some strange reason I tend to do the opposite :S if an LGBT topic comes up I immediately educate everyone around me about what I know(most of what I learned from here.) I also try and make it obvious that I'm aware of most of the attractive male celebrities names to try and hint my oblivious friends that I'm gay...

12. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I only pretend not to know about typical gay things when i'm hanging out with my straight male friends. I'm a lot less gay around them compared to when i'm with the girls :lol:

Like the other day for instance me and 3 of my straight male friends were chilling in my living room with music television on in the background. The new One Direction music video came on and my friends were like "Pfft i hate them! especially that douchebag *points to Harry* what's his name again?" and i just played along and was like "I dunno, i hate them too". If it was me and my female friends however i would have been like "Omg turn it up, Zayn is soo hot!" :grin:

13. JustMe2602

14. brightside80

Yes. I've definitely done this before. With things like pretending not to know about certain people who are out of the closet, or their partners (I really like NPH and his partner DB but would never talk about this with anyone).

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Generally i tend to have the opposite problem. Like the other day I got asked who my favorite one direction guy is and really wished I had a lot of interesting stuff to say about the band and members cause the guy I was talking about it with is a big fan and he's super cute and I'd love to get to know him better and have stuff like that to chat about. Alas I've never heard a 1Direction song before to this day and the conversation ended on that exact note, pitifully =D

16. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably did to some degree in the past in regards to TV shows (e.g. when I watched "Buffy" when I was younger), but there's a lot of pop culture stuff that I am unaware of and genuinely don't care to ever give a shit about. I hate all the no-talent pop "musicians" and boy bands out there that lip synch and can't play instruments, so I wouldn't have to lie about being oblivious to the details about them. The same goes for the "reality" shows and fashion crap. It's not internalized homophobia (I'm as gay as they come), I just dislike pop culture for all of the fake shit that composes it. I don't understand why gay culture seems to be stereotyped with liking what the brainless masses of the general population like though.

17. LoveMusicPoetry

Well, I have actually found myself being a bit into feminism, well post-modern, post-feminist literary theory actually, over recent years, and most straight guys automatically assume feminists are all lesbian, so no, I guess not. I can't really comment on One Direction, apart from the fact that one of them is a Baggie fan so he's gotta be ok. Also I had a thing about the song, 'What Makes You Beautiful' or waht ever it's called. This is because it reminds me of a girl I am completely crazy about...shame she's straight.:icon_sad:

18. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a married guy still in the closet to my wife. My wife and I both watch “The New Normal” and “Threesome – a UK TV show”.

During one of the shows a “Versatile Top” was mentioned and my wife asked me what it meant, as if I should know (I think she may suspect). I don’t know if she was trying to test me because I think we are in a “Don’t ask - don’t tell” situation. My initial answer was I don’t know .. followed by “Possibly it’s some sort of reversible jacket“

My wife can be very confusing at times .. She has several Lady GaGa CDs and whenever “Born this way” is playing she sings along at the top of her voice .. Is she saying she is gay or she knows I am?

Sale Gay Guy

19. Tim

Tim

Nope.

I am who I am. If someone has a problem with that, that's their issue, not mine.

20. Oregontinker

If you met me your first thought would not be that I was gay. So to make up for that I am current on gay topics and am am quite comfortable making what most would consider gay comments, which some people have been surprised by and said "why would a straight guy say that" well it's because I am gay lol.