1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beats headphones - yes, no, maybe so?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gallatin, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Gallatin

Just curious to see if anyone has a pair of Beats Solo headphones, and if so what they think of them?

I've been using Bose headphones since the beginning of high school, and I've loved them, but my current pair is pretty much falling apart. I would look to get another comparable pair of Bose eventually, but thanks to a promotion at my mom's job, I could get the Beats for free. However, if the Beats aren't any good, then I'll just let her pick a something, and look to get something else down the line.

2. djt820

You want to avoid Beats. This guide might help you on your journey. I personally use a pair of Sony MDR-V6 over-ear headphones. Great neutral sound and everyone I've recommended them to has loved them as well. But there are other great options out there. Just avoid the trashy products, as stated in the guide.

3. Aren't Beats headphones really expensive? Why not take it?

4. djt820

You're paying for the name. There are headphones in the $70-100 range that sound a million times better than Beats, in my opinion.

Unless you want to get the Beats while you can, sell them, buy good headphones and pocket the cash but OP may find that immoral, considering his Mom is getting them.

5. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I've also heard that Beats headphones aren't the greatest either. I've never owned a pair for myself but have known people who had these headphones. Just wanted to throw that in there!

6. starfish

If you are buying, there are much better headphone for the money. For free they are pretty good.

Though personally I wouldn't take them, as I refuse to do business with Monster, who manufactures the beats products. They abuse their trademark and pretty much use lawsuits to bully people.

I'm also not a Bose fan as their stuff is really over priced.

The list Dtj820 listed has some very good stuff on it.

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro that I really like.

One thing that drives me nut with modern consumer audio gear is that it is very bass heavy. So I tend to buy the studio reference gear. Just be careful as a lot of consumer gear is marked as "reference", but it is not. It is just the normal gear with fancy labels and a markup.

Thankfully I have a friend who runs a recording studio, so I get advise from him and can bypass all of the marketing hype.

7. Capichino

$200 here my brother wants one when he can't even keep a pair of head phones 4 a day

8. RedState

I have a pair of Beats and I think they are awesome...prolly the best headset I have owned. I would recommend them.

9. djt820

Bingo.

It annoys me to no end. It is the reason why I use the ones I use because I feel that the artist had their song/album mixed the way they wanted the listener to experience it. I don't want a bass boost. When I hear bass-heavy headphones, I just hear the muddyness being caused to the mix. Beats do this notoriously.

10. Emberblaze

Ugh, don't waste your money with these things. They're TWO-HUNDRED dollars for HEADPHONES people! I'm not proud to say that I own a pair and I wear them with utter shame, but my mom got em on sale for 50 bucks and INSISTED that it was such a good sale that they just HAD to be purchased.

But honestly, they aren't much different from any other pair of headphones. I got a pair of headphones from the dollar store once that did the trick just as well over the course of about a year and a half.

You're just paying for the name, so if you're into that kinda thing, well by all means go for it.

11. RainbowMan

I have the Klipsch X10i IEM's.

They cost a ton (mostly for the Klipsch name I think) and are really good. None of the enhanced bass garbage that starfish mentioned - they actually let you hear the music as it was intended.

But for $200 or so street ($350 retail), they better. I'm really thinking of dropping even more cash, and being fitted by an audiologist for a custom pair of IEM's. No better way to go than that, really.

12. Gerit

Don't be a douchebag. Don't buy Beats.

Seriously. Like mentioned above, you're just paying for a name. There are plenty of better, MUCH CHEAPER headphones out there. Look on NewEgg for some really high quality ones if you want, that's where I got mine.

13. castle walls

Why are a lot of you guys saying that alex2020 is paying for the name? He is getting the Beats for free.

I'm not a big fan of Beats. I don't mind spending a few hundred on headphones but I think they're too expensive for the quality you're getting. Although, to be fair I only listened to them for five minutes.

Personally, I'd take the Beats because they're free but if you're not that excited about them then maybe you should let your mom pick something. If you do that then you can get yourself some really good headphones later. I can't help but think that sooner or later you'll want a pair that sounds better than Beats. I know I would

14. Praetor

Beats is by Monster Cable, and while the product is good (having briefly used the studio and pro ones a bit), it is overpriced based on the power of marketing. Beats Solo is not of the same calibre as the higher end versions, which is also something to keep in mind.

If you get a severe discount on them or they are free, by all means go for it.

However, keep in mind, that when comparing other headphones in the same price range, the Beats don't always (and often will not) beat the competition. I prefer the brands AKG, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Shure.
    ** Also, just to add: I don't recommend any Bose products. The company deliberately withholds a lot of relevant audio information such as frequency response, and relies A LOT on marketing instead of raw data. The audio quality of Bose products for me is very underwhelming given the price paid for their products.
    That being said, to each his own.

#14 Praetor, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  15. SomeNights

from a technical standpoint, those headphones suck. The beets by dre headphones use filters and microphones in combination with digital circuitry to noise-cancel and "make their headphones flat". In reality they distort the low end, do not show real clarity and quite frankly I'd never trust them in my applications. Bose also uses some weird filters to reproduce a "flat" response as well.

Personally I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-7510s and I'll never go back! The clarity and reproduction of sound without the use of filters or other electronics is amazing. In terms of volume, you'll blow your ear drums before you hurt the headphones.

Other good manufactures to look into are Sennheiser and AKG, but i'm not a big fan.

I know this sounds like an add, but the sony's really do sound amazing!

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We use Sony headphones where I work at. They really are good headphones.

17. Gallatin

Thanks for all the advice and tips, guys! I ended up deciding not to get them. The program will be running again this year, so I'm going to see if any better headphones are available. And if not, I'll just spend the money to get a new decent pair, and I'll definitely keep in mind everyone's recommendation.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

18. HP7465213

If I were you, I would get the free pair of beats, even though I personally don't find their quality that superior over other brands. But, if you liked the beats in high school, a free pair is like hitting the jackpot! Plus it will buy you some time to raise the money for those awesome Bose headphones!

19. Divopix

I have a pair and I regret asking for them a while back. I barely use them. I have the bigger ones, and I can't keep them on for even 10 minutes with out my ears hurting.

I would no recommend them. Nice look, cool brand, shitty headphones.

20. prism

Like everyone else said, you're paying for the name. I put on my friend's Beats a few months ago and was not impressed in the slightest. Plus, they look incredibly douchey to m e.

I own Audio-Technica ATH-M30 headphones. Very satisfied with the quality.