1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lowest I've Ever Felt

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ohioguy05, Jan 21, 2013.

1. AKTodd

You shouldn't be trying to start a relationship yet in any case. It's too soon, the wound is too raw. And I honestly don't really think you'll get back together, unfortunately. But I'm also a big believer in hedging my bets and trying to plan for the supposedly unexpected,even if that means thinking uncomfortable thoughts.

Given his behavior and what you've posted so far, I'm concerned he may try to harm himself and he needs professional help to deal with that. You shouldn't blame yourself if he does try something and if he does turn up in your life again and want to get back together you need to be firm about him getting help (and/or sticking with it) before anything like that can happen. As you say, it's not fair or good for you to have to go through this every so many months and that's no way to build a relationship. Anyway.

Give yourself some time to grieve and then some time to heal and then try to focus on doing some other stuff for a while. Work, maybe hanging with friends. Maybe even a trip, not to do a 'gaycation' like we talked about before (unless you feel like it) but just to get away for a bit. Winter in OH strikes me as likely to be less than fun and with an Xmas break coming up maybe you could swing a trip somewhere sunny and tropical (at least compared to OH). Of course if you just love winter and snow and such, by all means ignore that last bit:slight_smile:

Do you have any chocolate in the house? Not advocating you going on an eating binge, but chocolate can help release endorphins IIRC and can actually make you feel a bit better. Maybe have your favorite candy bar or chocolate treat, along with renting or watching your favorite uplifting/positive/not going to remind you of the situation movie? Just to take your mind of things.

And don't give up on yourself or on meeting someone. You sound like a great guy with a lot to offer. It may not seem like it just now, but your time will come. Honest.

Take care,

Todd

2. ohioguy05

I'm not really going to lie... This past week has been really, really tough for me.

First, I've had to get over Matt. He was the most important person in my life for a while. I shared everything with him and I grew comfortable with him. I trusted him...then I was dumped in the mud. Yes, he has some issues he needs to deal with, but for me, the way he went about things has done nothing to help my low self esteem out. Its getting to the stage where I am paranoid in relationships as to "when I'm going to be dumped." The problem is that I really don't think that I am doing anything wrong... But I'm realizing that my already low self-esteem seems to be messed up by not only this relationship, but all of mine. I worry about when all of the wonderful will end... since I inevitably will not be able to keep someone great.
    I also have discovered this week just how lonely my life has become. Now, I have a bunch of friends and I've talked and texted them. I've gone out to dinner with family and spent time with my nephews helping with homework. I spent all day yesterday with a friend shopping, eating, and seeing shows. I even have done some things by myself that I enjoy (walking through haunted attractions- weird I know, but I live for this time of the year). I have a busy social schedule planned to get my mind off of things... but ultimately, I always come back to my big empty house and realize how lonely my life has become. Whereas I can fake being happy with everyone else... now, sitting here alone... I find that I have lost my smile and can feel the hopelessness and self-hate sink back in. And THAT is not healthy. It is what I need to work on right now.

3. ohioguy05

Ok... so my ex has officially "gone off the deep end." He has stopped going to church, talking to anyone, and just sits in his parent's basement. (All the signs of his earlier depression) That's not him. He needs professional help. I can do nothing for him currently... I tried talking with him and he wouldn't respond or see me. I'm currently working with his best friend to try to convince him to get help through her... without him even knowing I am involved. I don't even care if he knows that I care... It's just that even though we have broken up, I still care for him and want him to be happy. I'm pissed that he can't be happy with me like we were for so long... but that's life.

As for me... I've taken this time to again find myself. I reread some of the old responses on here to my problems and I can definitely see the whole "I am only happy when I am in a relationship" bit that was hinted at. To me, as a gay man "happiness=relationship" As a straight man (well, passing for straight) it was "happiness=A. Coming out of the closet or B.Making everyone else happy around me and being happy for them" For a while this past winter, I was crazy in my search for a relationship. I've changed that attitude, I suppose.

Yeah, I'm about ready to try dating again. Well, put myself back out there again... I've come to realize that I am over Matt romantically. Yes, I have extreme feelings for him and his safety and happiness, but I no longer can picture that happy life with him that I had this summer. Therefore, I feel as if I kind of have "broken up with the idea of him" in my mind. I'm finding other guys attractive. I have the desire to get back out there. Yeah, this might be a rebound, but I also just feel it is right, too.

I just need to get over the fear that I have inside that this pattern will continue... The sudden break-ups with no warning, lowering my self-esteem.

4. ohioguy05

I haven't been on this site in ages. For the past 4 or 5 months, I've taken a break from all relationships. I've tried to soul search and I came to the conclusion a few weeks ago that I would re-enter the closet. I figured it was the easiest way to have kids... Of course fewer than 24 hours later, I had changed my mind completely and was ready to date a guy again. I keep going back and forth on the issue. I want to fall in love again so badly, but I want the straight life and to be left alone just as badly. To me, it is kind of a coin toss.... I can either:
    A. Live my life as "straight" and always look over my shoulder hoping that I won't be discovered or that an ex won't be sitting at a nearby table when I'm out with my girlfriend.
    OR
    B. Be gay and live my life always looking over my shoulder hoping the wrong person won't discover that I'm gay forcing me to lose my job or lose a friend.

Neither way is very appealing. I rejoined a dating site, hoping that after the months or having a dry spell in dating would re-fill the dating pool...Alas, it really hasn't.

I just have sort of entered into a period of depression. I toss and turn at night, wondering what will happen next, and how I let my life suck in either direction I choose. Unlike my earlier depression, however... I now have taken to not taking care of myself. I sleep in far too late, making me almost late to school. I don't shower every day anymore...WHICH IS TOTALLY NOT ME. I also have gained 10 pounds in the last few months...I guess I am stress eating.
    Any advice please?

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I really feel sorry about how being gay or anything non hetero is still such a huge problem in many parts of America (More so than in Europe AFAIK), extending far enough to have you fear for your job...

I'm sorry you're in this situation.

But would you live a happy life that way?
    Would you be happy and satisfied yourself?
    Wouldn't it be extremely unfair to your female partner?

We're living in the year 2014.
    The world should be able to deal with you being gay. There should be nothing stopping you from being gay in the open (Well you don't have to rub it in everyones face), and I'm sad there are things that do.

But it's the way you are.
    A living a life where I deny my true self and orientation would be hell for me.
    I couldn't do it. I couldn't even suggest it. I'd rather go through any hardships and deal with any gobshites that hate on me for it than live a lie.

6. scanner007

Ohioguy05,
    I read your initial post months ago and for some reason I never responded. But Aktodd was here, with his cute white doggies avatar and his trusty and well thought out advice. So I wasn't worried. I've read some really awesome words of wisdom offered to a lot of people on here from him.

But now I guess I'll take a stab at it myself and see what happens. What is my opinion?
    Well, first things first, take all yyour Disney movies and that Jerry McGuire "had you at hello" crap and throw it in a pile, lob a molotov cocktail at it and laugh maniacally while it burns. Yes I read you like Disney, but do it anyway. All that Disney "waiting for my prince charming" crap is just like all the sugar and caffeine in a carbonated beverage...it's bad for you. It takes a lot more than simply slaying a dragon to win your prince.

Besides that those cute, furry little Disney characters have no genitals and tthey're all just too happy and too eager to be cheerful and sing a happy song. It's just too creepy, sounds like a damn cult if you ask me.

Instead, make your own book, write the title of the book to be, "Finding my prince charming"...
    (Ironic titles ROCK!)

Now open the book and on the left side...The "past" side print out a copy of this thread, detailing your past boyfriend experiences since your first post. Put the printout there. On the right side..."the future"...put a mirror there. Look in the mirror at yourself and relax.
    Now if you ever get to feeling sad or depressed, or you feel like your self worth hinges on your relationship status to the point where you doubt yourself and wonder how soon it will be before you "ruin it again". You can look at your book, one of many of your own life's stories and be comforted.
    You can know that your doing just fine and that you're simply in the middle of your own story. And we all know a good story doesn't start with a happy ending, nor do we buy books that only have the happy ending final chapter printed. Yeah, it's trite, but it really is the journey after all. And wouldn't it be more positive to Guage each failed relationship you've had as another chapter read, another step closer to just after that third act climax you're waiting for?
    Just like any good story the hero will at times feel despair and sadness. He'll feel his hope and strength draining from him. But even in real life, something or someone always swoops in at the last moment to save him so he can learn from his mistakes, gaining wisdom and courage from his experience so he can live to fight another day and face that yet unforeseen ultimate challenge. Even if sometimes the person that swoops in to save you...is yourself.

So don't put on that mouse-ears hat, cut your genitals off and join that happy songs cult just yet. Because I think you'll find out, at some point on the other side of that mirror- - your future, when you do face that ultimate challenge, which maybe for you means a husband and kids, that it was the journey which prepared you for it.
    GOOD LUCK!

Is that it? Really?
    Um mm Yes. Of course, it's no where near that simple. You have a lot of prejudice from family, friends and work to overcome. You have a lot of experience to gain in your relationships....As I do myself....so don't think you're alone there. But look in that mirror and have faith. Instead of letting each experience drag you down, find a way to learn from it and move forward. As I was reading your posts, that was one thing I kept seeing was the experiences you went through were at time very sad and hard to deal with that "no spark" factor. But I didn't read anything out of the ordinary, (nothing there which all the rest of us hasn't faced or will face) other than you might come off slightly "clingy" at times...which is natural and normal for someone without a lot of dating experience. As a teacher you know part of learning anything new is repetition and practice. So try not to look at your love life as if your on a plane and each time you lose a boyfriend another engine dies and now you've only got one left and it's running hot. Instead, build on those experiences. love yourself first, be confident in who you are and see yourself at one point in a line - or on one page in the middle of a book. ; p.
    And yeah, as general advice, I think that last part can't be said enough. To love, trust and be happy and comfortable and confident within yourself first. Let your future boyfriend be the icing on an already great cake...which you are. But don't let him be like a salve to a wound or a bandaid for yourself esteem.
    Alright now go blast some Pat Benatar (oor whatever is equivalent to your generation to some rockin' out jam that makes you feel ready to take on the world) and go have an awesome day!
    GOOD LUCK AGAIN!

#46 scanner007, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  7. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll add a couple more thoughts to the mix.

- My past experience is that a lot of guys on the on-line dating sites are flaky. Guys I met on-line often pulled the same crap, of things going along fine and then just breaking up/disappearing. The on-line 'dating' thing is more conducive to short-term hookups than long-term relationships. Some of the guys on hookup sites may pretend to be after a relationship, but really in their heart just want short-term flings. The more relationship-oriented guys seem to be in other venues (gay social groups).

- If you have a repeated pattern of similar breakups, you may want to discuss this in detail with a therapist. You may unknowingly be playing a role or reinforcing a pattern that undermines the relationship. Doing this work now will help with depression, as well as improve how you relate to the next guy who comes along.