1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else suffer from anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caliber, Jan 19, 2013.

1. NickTsuki

NickTsuki Guest

My parents used to be against me going to a therapist and thought it was unnecessary too, but I talked to them honestly about it. I suggest you do the same. Tell them how you feel and why you feel this need of a professional help. They're likely to understand and help you look for the best choice you have.

2. Naomilly92

Yeah, all the time. The best thing to do is to face it head on

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot to mention that I tend to have social anxiety, not the incapaciting, panic attack kind, but still I find it tough to trust people when I meet them. My way of compensating for this is wearing a "mask" you could say, acting like what I think the person expects of me. I'm not completely different, but I unconciously twist myself to fit what I believe they would find normal. It works in the sense it almost always deflects any negative attention, but it works to well. I'm sure I miss good friendships because I never show the real me to new people, only older friends, or people who manage to work their way through my armour, like my last crush :slight_smile:.

It's something I'm working on, I'm trying to get out more and force myself to interact honestly with people, and I've improved a lot, so life is good ^_^

4. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have post-dramatic stress disorder that perhaps also gives me both GAD and SocialAnxiety in private and in public. Often times my panic attacks come out of no where with no warning and can last in various lengths of times. Valarian root and perscription and St John's Wort can help. I'd also consider doing yoga, mediation or something like it to than self-medicating like I did.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid of people, wide open spaces, small public rooms, heavily populated stores, or any store with people in it, and just people in general. Have to take anxiety meds every time I leave the house and even those don't work out too well.

6. jadakiss97

A safe object is something you hold that is small and either rough or smooth depending on what you prefer. Mine was my necklace. And while rubbing and holding it you tell your self that "you are safe, youre here in the moment, and everything is okay" or something along those lines. I know it might sound a bit cheesy but it really does help sometimes. Feel free to message me. I know a lot of weird things you could try if this doesn't help.

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it's a funny thing for me though. l do have GAD but l've only had a few panic attacks.

l think l either have a misdiagnosis or that it's hard to tell what anxiety looks like when it occurs with ADHD (yes, l have this label officially lol). l also have zero social anxiety whatsoever.

Because mostly l don't have the kind of anxiety other people describe. Though l can be pretty obsessive, l've given up trying to figure out. Maybe l have OCD or something :confused:

Mostly l'm ok and l avoid becoming truly anxious by not getting caught in the "loop" IFYWM, wherein you are overanalyzing something to the point that you end up procrastinating, the procrastination causes MORE anxiety and then you're stuck back in over analyzation mode.

That will drive you into the ground and l have to do what l can to avoid it, which is mostly procrastinating as little as possible and cutting myself off when l start going in circles.

And l have to avoid A LOT of medication, even OTC drugs. Most of it gives me anxiety to the nth degree. On meds like Claritin is the only time l've had panic attacks.

#27 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  8. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys I have got a lot worse this last week i cannot relax and am almost being I'll every time i think about it, my cat marley has gone missing and my hamster is having problems emptying his cheek i dont know what to do at all anymore

9. Naren

I was diagnosed with anxiety like 6 years ago. Anxiety attacks are very rare for me, fortunately.

10. boysdontcry

I also have anxiety and sparse panic attacks, often in crowded and loud places

11. cur2009

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    it's more common than u think! i hear a lot of people talk about attacks. You love animals so i can see why you you would feel this way. it means u care! bless! if it gets bad, talk to a doctor/GP as it could affect your life! but, try not to over worry!

hope this helps in some way! :slight_smile:

12. Techno Kid

I have a lot of social anxiety. :frowning2:

13. itsonlyrelative

I actually had my first panic attack before my freshman year biology final and I felt like I was having a heart attack because I thought that my chest was going to crack it hurt so much and I couldn't breath, the room was spinning and my whole body started to shake. Till the winter of my sophomore year I would just try to push through them, but they were getting worse.

When I started therapy it help a bit, but the combination of medication and therapy helped me a lot. I haven't had a full panic attack since I have started my medications.

14. Ohhai

I have anxiety, based around a phobia of being sick. It's a bitch.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had anxiety issues for years, and it hindered a lot of my academic performance for a while. I find it interesting how my anxiety now is only at its peak and more intense at night than any other point in the day.

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have anxiety and am on Prozac. The bad thing is that my sex drive has gone down....

17. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Count me in. I've been struggling with social anxiety for as long as I can remember. It's usually being around a lot of people I don't really know well that triggers it. Their presence makes me feel awfully insecure and also want to attempt suicide on the spot. :frowning2:

18. PragmaCynic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yes, I absolutely do suffer from panic attacks and have since I was in single digits. Over time I have developed some coping mechanisms. Life these days has me suffering from bleeding ulcers I think ... makes it a new high on the stress scale for me @@.

Good luck ...

19. tscott

I do as well, but I'm on meds to control it. It's actually better, since I've come out. When mine come on it feels like a heart attack, and I'm usually sent to the ER to check things out. Huge pain in the arse when it passes, and I'm sent home ususally the next day.

20. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    While I don't have panic attacks/anxiety in an extreme case, I definitely suffer from social anxiety. Whenever I'm around large crowds of people, I tend to clam up and my heart beats rapidly...

I'm trying to work on this of course but it's really hard...