1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lesbians living with herpes, advice?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SamMathew, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SamMathew

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have just been diagnosed and I am 18 years old. I'm feeling a full range of emotions. I very recently went through surgery and was on my period, I read that those things may be a factor in getting herpes. I have a girl friend and I have told her everything and she decided to stay with me no matter what<3 she's been my only sexual partner and I couldn't have gotten it from her. she is getting checked just in case. Anyways what can I do to make sure not to pass it on to her, I would hate myself if I ever did that :/ any what to do and not to do suggestions?? I'm young and would appreciate any advice please, honestly I'm a little scared.

Also** what will cause the outbreaks ? I read that it won't come up much or be as bad as the first out break. thank you for who ever decides to help.

2. SamMathew

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    no one has any helping words :'(

3. MerBear

i don't have any knowledge of this but i really am sorry about this. there will people who will answer soon. i promise. i wish you all the best

4. oblina

I can't say I know much about outbreaks but I am sure there is a wealth if knowledge on google. As far as keeping your partner safe make sure you use dental dams or latex gloves during sex

5. MysticalFantasy

Out Status:
    Some people
    What kind of herpes!is it the kind where it gives you cold sores?

regardless one way to help yourself manage it, is what i strongly believe, is prayer and a lot of positive thoughts and positive energy in maintaining your immune system healthy. And imtalking about positive internal power that has the ability to heal the body.

add that with eating proper nutrients and taking any foods that will help increase the
    Level and power of your immune system and you should be ale to maintain symptoms of herpes.

6. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to find out what the outbreaks causes. Often, it's stress, but it can be different things as well. You need to make sure to avoid those triggers and like the person said before: Eat healthily and improve your immune system by e.g. doing sports.
    That's really all I can offer to help.

#6 Commenza, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  7. JB75

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Sam,
    My bf was diagnosed with HSV-2 about a month ago so I'm sure you are going through a lot of emotions right now. Just know that this virus is manageable and not life threatening. In fact, the emotional aspect is the most damaging. I would urge you to both be tested and ask specifically for a type specific test so you can determine whether you have HSV-1 or 2. Another note, there is a lot of misinformation on the internet. I would strongly recommend you stick to reputable websites. The best information I have found was on the CDC website and google Terri Warren's free herpes handbook. There is also a good message board on the American Sexual Health Association that, like this one, is actively moderated so you dont have as much bad or contradictory information. And then of course be sure to consult with a healthcare provider. Being able to talk to a live person really helps! Good luck and you already have a good advantage in that your gf hasn't panicked :slight_smile:

8. kc1895

I thought herpes was only caused by kissing which leads to cold sores, or sexual contact with leads to genital herpes. I didn't know you can get it without contracting it from somebody?

9. Femme

I get cold sores and it is largely triggered by stress and being run down. It's completely manageable. The worst part is the stigma of having the cold sores that people can see.

I've been with my gf for almost 7 years and she has not contracted it. We avoid contact when I have cold sores. If we are intimate, we use gloves. We don't use dental dams so we avoid that when I have cold sores.

Be hyper vigilant about not spreading it. I will not use a towel to wash my face more than once when I have cold sores. I'm very meticulous about not spreading it. Campo Phenique oral fell us the best in my opinion and I've tried them all.i take Acyclovir capsules via prescription when I get an outbreak.

You can take Lysine tablets as a preventative measure but in my experience there is nothing that you can do to prevent it.

It's not a death sentence but it will come up again if you get a new gf.

Good luck!

10. micheru

micheru Guest

i think you should hold your sexual interactions with your girl friend until your condition of herpes get better

11. Thor85

Thor85 Guest

you can take zinc pills available at any drug store, zinc helps heal open sores and helps to prevent outbreaks. it does work I promise, you can live a normal life still, just stay on top of it and make sure you talk to your doctor. Best of luck and keep your chin up! : )

12. Bree

Yes, you'll have to bring it up with every sexual partner and abstain from contact during outbreaks.

...my mom contracted herpes when she was fifteen. She said it was really bad at first, and then quieted down to only a few outbreaks a year. She's been with my dad for nearly thirty years and he doesn't have it, and I know that they're sexually active. She had two kids through vaginal labour and we're fine. It virtually doesn't spread when there are no active lesions.

13. RainbowBright

You really need to talk to your doctor. S/he can give you good advice, and make sure you are thoroughly checked out. There is a difference btwn Herpes 1 and 2, your doctor should be able to help you figure out how you got it. The kind that people have on their mouths can be transmitted to genitals, but you do have to get it from somewhere, it does not just develop on its own.

You'll probably need Rx meds, but many people do also manage it more holistically with things like olive leaf extract and oil of oregano. You would need to do good research and try asking your doctor about it before using these alone, though. Although I don't have it myself, I have friends who have used these fairly successfully.

Cheer up, you're in good company! Actually, 1 in 3 adults in the US has herpes. It is amazingly common, despite the worry of social stigma that remains. Safer sex practices should help you prevent the spread, if your girlfriend does not already have it.

14. Marge

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with above. I'm a lesbian and have had a totally normal unprotected sex life for 20 years. Never passed it to a partner. When I have an outbreak, or feel one coming on, I abstain. It really is that simple. People who pass it are generally those who don't know they have it, because they don't recognize the symptoms. Live your life, enjoy sex, and relax! It's supposed to be fun. JUst pay attention to any little changes in your body.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2013 at 11:09 PM ----------

This is ridiculous. Gloves? Dental dams? I'd run for the hills if someone did that to me. If you have herpes, dont have sex when its present, or you feel it coming. You are more likely to get it from someone who has cold sores. Please ladies, put the gloves and dental dams away already. It's sex, not a gynelogical exam. And your chances of catching it are less than 2% per year according to my doctor. Thats per year of having sex with someone 3 times a week. So please go enjoy your relationship and be careful of any little symptoms.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2013 at 11:14 PM ----------

You will be fine. You will enjoy a normal healhty sex life. Tell your partners, and for the first few years really pay attention to the feelings you get around an outbreak. You will start to be able to know exactly what it is before it comes. Don't sweat it. If you want, tell partners you sometimes get cold sores and explain that it is herpes. That it can be passed very easily during an outbreak and there is a statisitically tiny chance you can pass it when not having an outbreak.

The risks are greater for the 60% of people who have herpes and don't know they have it. Those are the people passing it!!!! When you have been diagnosed, you recognize the signs and abstain as necessary.

Good luck, and don't settle. Herpes is a minor skin condition, that's it. The stigma is the worst part, and it's up to you to educate people!

15. SamMathew

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello everyone!! thank you for all your advice! I really do appreciate it.
    Here's a little update:
    I have not had an outbreak again , but it's only been a little more than a month
    I have not passed it on to my girl friend
    I am still recovering from surgery but doing better.

16. Clubsolar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its ok, just to give you statistics

1 out of 4 people- Have some form of the virus
    Chickenpox-Comes from the same virus, which means anybody who has had the chickenpox vaccine or had chicken pox has it

and It easibly manageable

:slight_smile: