1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many of yall speak a foreign language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunnii, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Awkward Balloon

Fluent English, moderately good Irish, learning French and hoping to start German soon :slight_smile:

2. Yui

Yui

Fluent English and German, I'm bilingual :slight_smile:

And French, pretty much fluent as well :slight_smile:

3. timo

I love how you say this! Dutch is considered quite hard to learn for a foreigner, cause yes, the basics are pretty simple but we have so many exceptions to all the rules it's ridiculous. And pronunciation can be a bitch if it isn't your native tongue.

I don't want to talk you out of it though, cool that it's on your list :grin:

4. kem

kem

I speak English, German, Swedish and very little Japanese. I'm fluent in English, I got the best score in our matriculation exams; only 5% of students are given the top score.
    I used to speak German well, but I haven't kept it up since I quit studying it a year and a half ago and now I remember little of it. Swedish is a comparatively easy language to learn, although it has its quirks. I have good control over the grammar but I'm lacking in vocabulary.
    I took a couple of courses in Japanese, I got to an advanced level but it was extremely hard to keep up. First of all, you don't get to speak it often; reading it was very difficult due to the different writing, too.

5. Dalmatian

Well hello, neighbour! :grin:

Pity about your German. Depending on where in Slovenia you live, you could get great exposure to the language. Well, its Austrian variant, anyway; I heard some Germans jokingly don't accept Austrian German as proper German. Kinda like American English.

6. aspiecarer

I heard some Germans jokingly don't accept Austrian German as proper German. Kinda like American English.[/QUOTE]

Well it's only linguist who would really say that:
    For them there is 'Hoch Deutsch' which is the grammatically correct from without any accents, much like 'The Queens English'..and I guess 'French in line with the Academy francais'..
    and yes, 'American English' then is a sort of hybrid,lol
    But for communication purposes any sort of language is fine

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2013 at 03:56 AM ----------

is 'Irish ' a language in its own right?,lol

We should start a language club on here with the other languages

7. Harve

Well it's only linguist who would really say that:
    For them there is 'Hoch Deutsch' which is the grammatically correct from without any accents, much like 'The Queens English'..and I guess 'French in line with the Academy francais'..
    and yes, 'American English' then is a sort of hybrid,lol
    But for communication purposes any sort of language is fine

Linguists would argue that there is no such thing as "grammatically incorrect" (although there are of course conventions).

And yes, Irish is a language which has as much in common with Russian or Hindi as it does with English. Some understanding everywhere, only really spoken on a daily basis in the rural west of the Ireland.

Vicipéid

8. toaster

English, Mandarin, Malay all fluent

Moderate Cantonese and Hokkien ( Mandarin dialect)

9. Copperflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My native language is Finnish, but I speak fluent English, good Swedish and some Russian. I love learning new languages! If I had more time, I would practice my Russian.

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It has such a nice quality to me that I can't list! But I think I described it accurately.

I'd still love to learn it at some point, though. You're not talking me out, haha :grin: I can say the same about Italian. Even my pronunciation on certain words is incorrect and I'm 99% fluent.

11. beccs

beccs Guest

I am fluent in Spanish, and know bits and pieces of French. I am just starting to learn Russian.

12. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I have a working knowledge of Spanish and French, and I consider myself to be fairly fluent in Mandarin Chinese.

13. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well besides English I'm pretty fluent in Spanish as well I'm just not that good at reading or writing it then I'm also currently taking German lessons I know a few words so far along with the alphabet.

14. curlycats

i'm a linguaphile who has studied numerous languages. sadly, only a couple have really stuck lol.

English - native speaker
    Esperanto - high level of fluency
    Japanese - moderate fluency
    French - enough to be able to read it

i've also studied Spanish (3 years), Italian (2 years) and Russian (6 months) but have pretty much forgotten them, although i can pick up things from the first two.

15. Rivers

I speak Korean pretty fluently (I speak to my mother in Korean, and my father in English). Right now I'm taking a Latin class, but I'm not that great.

16. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Cool! I'm a linguaphile too! I spent a lot of time studying Japanese when I was younger, but barely any of it stuck! The whole entire concept of the language is so radically different than any Indo European languages I'm used to, so...

Right now I can speak English and French fluently and I am pretty good at Arabic and Russian, my two favorite languages. I also speak Danish at home (can't write or read) and I used to study Hungarian and Thai!

I think learning a completely unrelated language is an amazing feat... Russian for example seems daunting at first, but once you crack the code it turns out to be remarkably similar to English or French. Arabic, on the other hand (or Japanese, Thai, Hungarian) are absolutely insane languages; the deeper you dig the more mysterious they become!

17. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Russian is my first language, but I learned English very early in life, so both are natural "thinking" languages to me.

18. TheDifferent13

Hello to you too neighbour! :icon_bigg

I know a lot of people here, who had English and German, and I think some even German instead of English, since their early years in elementary school. But German is just too stiff for me. And yeah, I believe Austrians have their own dialect.

19. TheSeeker

Ok, Fluent English, Fluent Tamazight Berber (Moroccan Native Dialect), and semi-fluent in Moroccan Arabic (Darija).

20. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know what you mean, TheDifferent13! Two of my languages (English and Danish) are similar to German, but I could never learn it, as it was like you said too stiff! Slavic languages, on the other hand, like Russian or Polish or Slovenian, are much more fluids to me and I pick them up quicker... never understood why!

Wow that is cool you speak Tamazight! I always thought it was interesting that Morocco and nearby countries balance three different languages. Is Tamazight very different from Arabic, or are there obvious similarities?

#60 SOULkitchen, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013