1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT club!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jvn95, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jvn95

I'm very happy to say now that my high school LGBT club is picking up. There are rainbow posters that say "come support or be supported!" Everywhere!

My high school is called Tascosa. So the club is called LGBTosa. Cool right?

I'm thinking about going but I haven't told my parents so I'm not sure yet.

Do ya'll have a GSA or LGBT club? Do you attend? Is it worth attending? Any experiences good or bad you want to share?

2. SparkDT

That's cool! My school never had one, I don't believe they do now since I've graduated either.

3. Greendalehumans

That's great! Lol the posters almos sound like a threat.

You better come or else we'll support you!

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's really awesome to hear :slight_smile:

As far as GSA's go, the awesomeness of the group is directly connected to whoever is in charge of the group. If the group is run well then it can be a really awesome thing to be a part of.

Def go at least once! Even if its not your thing its always awesome to feel like you aren't alone.

5. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    Im going to the meeting on Thursday for the first time. It is with my english teacher from last year who I never got along with during class but loved as a person. She, in as few words as possible, has spunk.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! My high school(s) didn't have a GSA (as far as I'm aware the cyber one didn't have one) and I would have started one for my senior project, but I already completed the main one so I didn't have time. However, at the time I had that thought, my ex had succesfully gotten a GSA in his school after some dispute that went to the news (and got the attention of LGBTQ outlets).

7. prism

That's great! You should definitely go.

My high school had a semi-successful GSA, but I only went to one meeting. Everyone assumed I was just an ally, which was good because I wasn't out to anyone. However, an acquaintance hugged me after the meeting and whispered "They think you're straight." I awkwardly laughed and never went back. @_@

8. jargon

That sounds awesome! Go for it! :slight_smile:

My high schools was a little weak - supposedly the leadership a year or two before I came along was really great, but the people in charge by the time I got there werent very organized. My current college's group is pretty good for a visit now and then though

9. animequeen567

My high school never had one :frowning2: My college doesn't have one either even though my campus is filled with people that I know want one. Every time someone suggests it, it's denied because it could be "offensive". Ugh! There's nothing offensive about it.

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school never had one. Hence the state I live in. :dry:

11. Shiny Espeon

My school had a GSA. I never went, but it was more due to scheduling conflicts with other activities I was in.

12. Vesper

If there were a GSA in my high school back when I attended in the early 2000s, I don't know if I'd have gone or not because I wasn't too aware of gay rights back then. Then again, I was so busy with Science Olympiad and Scholars Bowl that I doubt I'd have had the time anyway.

I'm proud to say that that high school, which is in Tennessee of all places (though in Knoxville, a relatively tolerant city), now has a GSA!

#12 Vesper, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  13. My high school actually had one! But I never went for a number of reasons... wasn't very aware of gay things, didn't have someone to go with me, busy trying to study/have lunch/attend academic or scholastic club meetings.

In college, we have various GSA groups, but I only attended a couple times a few years ago and stopped attending. The one I attended had low member turnout, and didn't seem very organized. I ought to check out the other ones we have... if I only had more time. Ironically, I don't think we have one designated as "GSA" or a general LGBT club exactly, but they instead seem to be LGBT peoples or allies for a certain cause or activity (writing/newsletter). We do have an LGBT Resource Center where people can just hang out though.

Also, GSA is actually our Graduate Student Association here, so... I guess... we have a sizeable number of people who make up our official GSA.

#13 phospholipase, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  14. IrisM

We didn't have one back at my school, as my town is virulently religiously intolerant. I went through a lot of negative stuff back then because people assumed things about me regarding that. If we had one perhaps I'd have been safer and be a bit more confident, who knows.

That being said if I get into my college, I plan on taking an active role in the LGBTQIA club there.

15. jp16

I'm jealous mine didn't have any.

16. QueenCheeze

Hey! I go to Tascosa too! That meeting after school was supposed to be on the 25th, i was busy so i never got to go :frowning2:

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Awesome to hear! You should definitely go.

I'm actually planning on creating an LGBT club for my school, I'm speaking with my school counsellor about it tomorrow probably. Or to set something up where we all hang out at the local GLBT club here, after school on certain days. I can't wait.

18. beckcross

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, i currently go to Tascosa, about to graduate, and i freaking excited. I'm a senior and just to let you guys know that the LGBT club, is still going on. Also this thursday we will be having a tie die day and i was wondering if you guys would like to come, please let me know and ill give you the details later, thx :slight_smile:

19. Impa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately, I don't think we have that sort of thing here in Brazil; I've never heard of it. =/

20. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one in my school that I try to go to as much as I can.

It's technically for all diversity (it's officially called something like "Diversity and Multicultural Club"), but since all except for a couple people in that club are in the LGBT community, we mostly focus on that.