1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Believe In?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BoiGeorge, Jan 12, 2013.

1. IrisM

I believe in the possibility of a better future, I do not believe I will ever see this future, yet I have hope that the experiences I do have can be shared with others who may reach it. I will always be cheering for each and every kind person I meet along the way, quietly from the sidelines as I inevitably fall off of the path and into oblivion.

2. Zach12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm what gets me through the tough times is knowing somewhere someone has it wayyyyy worse and I can make my future be what I want do as I please. And not to be rude I don't rely on a supernatural being to help me, I rely on myself, I rely on my ability to wake up go to school get my education and make a life for myself regardless of what I'm going through today or the next I know it will always, at some point will, get better. So that's what I believe my own free will.

3. BajanBoy13

This EXACTLY

4. gary1955

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My god is every thing that exist.

5. lenon01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly think it's usually spite that gets me through hard times, as bad as that sounds. Not the kind of "haha, I'm going to make your life MISERABLE because I HATE YOU" kind of spite, but the "Well screw you, I'm going to accomplish [goal] because I loathe you". It's usually directed at an idea or a physical limitation more than a person.

I don't believe in any higher power at all, but I hold the belief that human society can become a less nastier place, can implement the destruction of death, and will survive and spread out into the universe as a 'transcendent' species that is, in essence, godlike. That gets me through everything else.
    That, or the internet. Sometimes there are things that just make me really angry and upset and the only thing I can do is throw them aside because I can't 'solve' them.

6. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, what keeps me going is an odd mixture of beliefs that are mostly positive-thinking in nature and are not really religiously-inclined. I'd hesitate to even say they're spiritually-inclined, either, though I can be spiritual. When it comes down to the grit of it, what keeps me going is a pretty simple logic: things change, and will continue to change. As they say, "Man never steps into the same river twice." What I've drawn from that observation is that, along the lines of what a few other posters have expressed, I -- whatever "I" consist of right now as a human being in this universe -- am always prone to changing as a person, as well as my views and the events that happen in all of our lives, even if only by the smallest and seemingly insignificant milestones.

I try my best to keep my head up knowing that I do have some sort of will and input for what could happen in my own life, and that at some point, (positive) change will occur. We can't always control when or in what form it will come to us, but that it will happen again at some point is inevitable. I visualize life as a spectrum of sorts in my mind, or more accurately, a current; it's always flowing, yet the flow -- the rhythm, the speed -- will often change on its own, sometimes unpredictably and not to our liking. While this unpredictability can be frustrating and seem negative, I believe if a person sticks around long enough, there is almost a guarantee that this flow, this current of energy maneuvering in their life, will eventually change again in some form. I also keep in mind that, similar to Taoist beliefs, there are lighter and darker sides (and also an in-between) which counteract each other in life. And so for me (or anybody, really) to expect or even want the world to only show one side of itself -- the easy, positive side -- at all times or whenever I desire it to is wishful thinking, and almost naive to the workings of the universe. Recognize the 'bad', and work on it at your best. We are all in a perpetual flux, though, and because of that we will equally enjoy the nice peaks, sit through tedious times where we're hoping for a better change, and ride out the low tides as well. It's all a part of the experience which makes us human, and so I try to take in as much of that philosophy as I can.

Also, what's important to me is the thought of letting go of as much negativity as you can in your life, so that you are open to the possibility of receiving more positivity. If you keep holding onto the bad times and keep grasping the negativity tightly in your hands, you are sometimes closing yourself off to grabbing on to much of anything else.

#46 Thieves, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  7. TheUglyBarnacle

What they said.

8. Van

Van

I don't believe in religions. I don't believe that if there's God he's part of any religion.
    I believe in mother nature. That's all. :icon_wink

9. Jim

Jim

I don't believe in anything at all.

10. tea123

tea123 Guest

If we're talking about religion then I say I'm an agnostic although in practice I'm pretty much an atheist. Not that I have anything against religion, I think it's great that some people find comfort in it but it's not for me and never has been really.

11. tulman

I need to correct this earlier post. I forgot to include the Missouri and Red Rivers in my reference to the floods of the last few years.

12. jutwanahaveboys

Exactly how I feel and what I believe. GOD is perfect and makes no mistakes. the "figures" that speak on his behalf however, do plenty of them"

in my opinion, Jesus > Religion. it means, Jesus is bigger than religion, and no book, no church can ever convince me that he hates me because of the way that I am. he has been there for me more times than I could ever count, and he has never let me down despite the fact that I am gay. he loves me and he is more than willing to forgive all of my sins.

those of them with no sins, as he says, may throw the first stone.

13. DanD

I try to forget about my worries and write short stories and novels. It doesn't always work, but it's great to have the freedom to choose characters, and to have control over the plot and how everything happens.

14. Deaf Not Blind

^ That + I do believe in the Good Book, that is where we read what Jesus said.

15. jutwanahaveboys

you mean the bible?

16. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Even though I don't believe it, the bible ranks in as one of my favorite books.

17. I'm still Catholic and it's kind of hard because I still get conflicted over it.

18. IanGallagher

I grew up in a haunted house.

I know just before someone close to me is going to die.

I know whenever I do something good, good things happen- karma exists.

I know someone is watching over me. As a writer, this life is too fucked up with constant symbols coming back up all the time, that there's no way it could ever not be scripted.

That anything is possible if your heart is always and fully in it. I came from nowhere town, went to an okay college, yet wound up with one of the top five film companies with my dream career approaching on the close horizon.

That everything has a point. I fell in love with then lost the first guy I fell in love with due to my unwillingness to accept what was going on. If things went a different way with him, I might have staid in LA and everything today would be different. But I'm at where I'm supposed to be, I'm starting to come out to my extended family, and now I just follow my heart and not the stigma of it. Although shitty, I learned from it and got even further. I dream that I'll see him again someday. Well not dream, just like a gut feeling with everything else (same feeling I have before people die, hard to explain).

That if you sit around and do nothing or just wish for things to happen- things WON'T happen. You need to fight to get ahead in this life. Just thought this one would be important due to all of the above, since a lot of people dream for things to happen yet never actually do anything and wonder why. You NEED to fight.

#59 IanGallagher, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  19. FruitFly

What gets me through the tough times? I spent a lot of time in contemplation. I sit outside, I think, I let things settle and put everything into perspective. It's a mix of religious leanings and the desire to live as positively as possible regardless of circumstances. To enjoy, to love, to be myself and grow.

A lot of that silly stuff.