1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pyrotactick, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Pyrotactick

Somebody on the forum posted a video from two vloggers known as "Vlogbrothers". I decided to watch more of their videos and I came upon this one: We're all Scared - YouTube

The video goes on to discuss kinda-ish half way that "you create you", that you become who you are through the books that you read, the television you watch, the pictures you look at, etc... I thought about this and I don't think this is completely true. Throw in a pinch of salt, as you read this theory, for my retarded hormone-raging brain for a second, I thank you if you do:

People make themselves through ideas. Ideas are made by bias(I mean ideas, rules, background, etc. that the person has) that is made throughout their lifetime. Bias is made by influence that comes from other people's bias. Thus, everybody is based on the "everybody" they have witnessed and experienced! You cannot choose how to "make" yourself! Since you cannot choose how to make yourself, you are not "made" by yourself.

....seam legit? Do post whatever you think, I think it'll be fun to make a little discussion thingymajig here :grin:. No flames please, keep it constructive.

2. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

That's sounds pretty short sighted and naive. It's as if they think everyone has the same reactions to media. Admittedly I haven't watched the video, nor do I care to because the Vlogbrothers are a terrible bore. Preachy too. What makes people unique are the thoughts they have, essentially. The way they interpret stimuli.

3. Pyrotactick

People can have different reactions to the media, I never said everybody was the same. Everybody is just based off of other people's ideas. Sure people are unique, but what makes them unique is really just a combination of bias that comes from the people they have experienced, and in turn the bias that comes from those people is from the people they have experienced and etc... The way people interpret the stimuli is pretty much the same, stimuli is taken based on bias that was helped created by previous people. Also, kinda a bit harsh on the Vlogbrothers (I sure hope I'm not becoming a fanboy about them), don't think that was very necessary.

4. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

"People can have different reactions to the media, I never said everybody was the same."
    Your post lead me to believe the vlogbrothers did.

"Everybody is just based off of other people's ideas. Sure people are unique, but what makes them unique is really just a combination of bias that comes from the people they have experienced, and in turn the bias that comes from those people is from the people they have experienced and etc."

Take into account that all thoughts are the results of biochemical reactions within the brain. These reactions differ slightly from person to person based on their DNA, their rates of metabolism (for pretty much every metabolic reaction in the body), the nutrients and substances they intake, the amount of physical activity they perform, and everything that occurs within and to their body (that's a countless amount of things). I suppose you are correct in saying that, but the way you described the video made it seem as though they were selling short the varying interpretations people have to media and experiences.

"Also, kinda a bit harsh on the Vlogbrothers (I sure hope I'm not becoming a fanboy about them), don't think that was very necessary." Indeed it is harsh. I am harsh on the vlogbrothers because I dislike every video I have seen by them. They have not made me laugh, nor inspire any emotions other than contempt for their videos and boredom.

Also, what about feral humans?

#4 plasticcrows, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. Pyrotactick

Oh...well you should have watched the video! Nah I'm kidding. It's understandable :slight_smile: sorry about that.

Yes, your right, people do differ in judgement when they eat, sleep, and etc... differently than somebody else. And....daah, that's where you got me :grin:. People can be born with a disability that sees the world differently that's not based on the previous people. But one can argue that that disability is caused by the previous generations (not saying it's their fault, although sometimes it can be).

Point made, you hate them a lot, lol. I don't really enjoy vloggers all together also, but these people just make sense to me.

Smart! Feral humans are influenced by not people, but the surrounding area and basic primal drives: reproduction and survival. So basically they'll develop a bias due to the area around them (what to eat, what to stay away from, what to do to not get horribly gibbed, etc...). So they wont' be influenced by people, but by the "world" around them. Which makes you right, they aren't based on the people.

Allow me to change and shorten my thesis: "You are made based on the 'world' around you".
    Sound good?

#5 Pyrotactick, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. SomeNights

idk, he makes a good point. We choose what we like and whats important to us and we can choose to filter out and "hear what we want to hear" from any form of content.

7. Pyrotactick

I actually give in to my theory and agree that he's right. It is still in my mind though that people's ideas can be based off of other people, not all but some. Like you say "We can chooes to filter out and 'hear what we want to hear'". We can do that, but why? Because we don't like what were listening to from a previous reaction? Because we don't like the person in general? I'll forfeit my argument. Thanks for your reactions and help people! Thank you even more for being kind some of you.