1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother doesn't get it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theskywreck, Jan 9, 2013.

1. theskywreck

I'm only 14, so I have no job therefore not much money. I can't buy myself costly things. I came out to my parents a few months ago as FtM. I talked to my mother about getting a binder and she said that they cause cancer. I know that they don't. How do I prove to her that they don't cause cancer or any bad things like that? And is there a way to pay her back without money? I'm afraid I appear selfish when I ask her for things.

2. TroubledRyan

Chores. Thats how I would get what ever I wanted. Cleaned the house. Sucked up. That kinda stuff ^^.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would it be okay to ask her where the evidence is for cancerous binders? Truth be told I've never heard of them outside of FtM discussion, so who would even make such a claim that didn't get cancer immediately after binding?

4. animequeen567

Well, you could always tell her that it's no different than a sports bra. From what I've heard, the binders are like big sports bras that are just a little tighter. (I'm not fTm so idk for sure. That's just what I heard.)

5. Last Gentleman

Not a woman, but good at googling info.

Part of the manogram process included compressing the breasts and "will not cause cancer".
    Women

That's about as much as I can help. Other then you doing chores for her and maybe relatives or neighbors and buying it yourself.

6. redstormrising

does she really believe they cause cancer or is she just saying that as a reason to say no?

7. theskywreck

Well, now that you say so, it seems unlikely that she worries about cancer-causing things too much because she smokes. (Maybe she's worried for her child? I don't know.) I guess I should look in on that. :/

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2013 at 09:53 PM ----------

Hmm, I think my mother is just misinformed. I'll find the evidence proving against and show it to her. I guess it's better than begging her or licking her boots too much. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: