LGBT People, NOT for gay marriage?!?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Menaki-Neko, Jan 2, 2013.

?

Are you for gay marriage?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Don't Mind/Care

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Definitely for it. The arguments against aren't really good and very fallacious.

2. IrisM

The closest I ever saw to that was a Lesbian friend stating that whether or not marriage was legal didn't matter to her since she saw it as a purely religious ritual and that religion was not part of her life.

3. Naomilly92

Before people start assuming things my vote was for don't mind/care

4. MixedNutz

All for it

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Qualified yes. As long as we're going to have government-sponsored marriage, it should be universally available.

6. MerBear

for it but respect if lgbt people are against it for personal matters

7. SkyDiver

I've come across a very extreme gay man who was against same-sex marriage because he didn't want us to be assimilated into heterosexual culture. He viewed marriage, family and monogamy as being twisted. :confused:

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The problem is, it isn't a purely religious ritual. There are a lot of benefits the federal government gives to married couples that non-married couples don't receive. Here's a list of some of them. It's a pretty long list.

9. Hexagon

yeah, I don't like marriage. If I were in the mood for that kind of thing, I'd get a civil partnership. (Well, assuming its with a guy, or someone made straight civil partnerships legal in the UK.). But I'm not about to deny marriage to LGBT people while its available for straights.

10. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I have never met a LGBT person not be for gay marriage but im sure there are some out there

11. Capichino

Ya I extreamly support it I think it's good to be able to marry the same sex and I can't wait until I'm older if that was the question

12. Retrospect

I read an article for my English class last semester. It was a gay man against gay marriage and gay marriage only. Very interesting and odd perspective. Sadly I no longer have the textbook and I can't remember much about it.

13. Alexander69

Ok well I'm the 1 person who said no. It's not that I'm not for it and that I don't approve I just..... Actually I don't know to be honest I guess marriage is a Bind between 2 people who love each other so I guess I'm for it then nvm :slight_smile: I never want to get married though or have kids

14. Emberstone

to anyone who votes no: Regardless of if it is not for you, dont be apathetic to bigottry stopping those who do value the instution from participating in it.

there is no legitemate reason not to be for marriage equality for consenting adults.

15. Kaetriana

I'm for gay marriage...however I'm also for the government staying out of marriage. I picture being wed at a beautiful wedding some day. xD I think marriage is a private business about the couple and their family, the government shouldn't stick their nose in it and approve or deny it.

16. Tim

Tim

For me, I personally don't want gay marriage. But, you actually have to understand what I mean.

I don't think marriage should be a government recognized union, at least in the USA. It's meant to be a separation of church and state, but marriage is a religious ceremony.

Either they should legalize gay marriage, or make clear distinctions between religious marriage and legal marriage.

I'm someone that, if they won't make the distinction, I'd rather they just put every benefit of marriage to civil unions or such. Being forced to use a religious union to get the same benefits is pretty f'd up.

That said, I do want it to happen, because I know the things I said aren't going to happen. And I'd rather have the ability to have the benefits, even if I have to do a religious ceremony to do so.

17. Alexander69

I guess I'm a major minority here being the only one who voted no and I'm not trying to cause issues. I'm extremely gay and I won't stop anyone from getting Married if you want to he married go ahead I'm not here to say don't do that gay marriage is just not for me I don't need to be married to be in love and to be faithful. If I were straight I wouldn't get married either I don't believe in marriage at all I think it's over rated and no one in this world takes it seriously anymore if people did they would get divorced 1 year later or cheat. I think if you love someone you don't have to be bound by god to eachother. Being that homosexuality is considered a sin..... I'm starting to put my faith other places now and comig from a religious Roman Catholic family god is everything to my family and if he says to HATE how am I to respect him in any way? Right so idk marriage is not for me and I still do BELIVE in god it's just it's more complex now

18. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think our best bet is to get social conservatives to recognize that state recognized marriage is not the "holy institution" they should be defending but rather they should defend marriages as recognized by god and the church as "holy". Just as a way to get ourselves firmly across the threshold. Sort of like the tactics the Republicans under Lincoln used to get African Americans recognized as people legally so that they would later be recognized by people socially. Just a theory I concocted based on my limited knowledge, take it as you will.

19. Eatthechildren

I don't like marriage. I don't want to get married.

But it makes me mad that I couldn't marry a girl if I wanted to.

Acculy, it makes me mad that the government cares about my genitals at all.

20. SparkDT

100% for it.