1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you do a long distance relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, Dec 31, 2012.

?

Could you be in a long distance relationship?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Have been in a LDR and would do it again

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Have been in a LDR and wouldn't do it again

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I chose "maybe." It all depends on how far long distance is. I go to school 3 hours from where my parents live and I wouldn't completely write off a relationship with someone from my hometown. I think we would get to see each other enough that it wouldn't be a problem. However, if long distance is like several states away I don't think I could do that.

2. curlycats

3. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm used to having to drive long distances, because I have family scattered all over. If it was a long distance like that I would definitely want a clear plan in place to move closer together. I'm going to college in an area I have NO desire to settle in leaving me willing to move farther distances. I'm originally from out west. It's a 4 hour drive just to the nearest Hobby Lobby. :grin:

4. IkeaMonkey

Maybe. It really depends how much I like the person.

5. timo

It's pretty hard to relate to that, haha. I live in the south of the Netherlands and I can drive to the very north of the country in about 3hrs... That probably influences my opinion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Tried before, didn't work out. I'm not against them on principle but it would take an exceptionally special guy for me to want to get involved in a second one. Given the choice, I would much prefer to be with someone physically close who I can hold when I want to.

7. Renge

Yea, bcause its the only way to get gf (for me). I can't find any other lesbian in my country.

8. Salazar

It depends who it is. If I actually loved the person, it would probably be better than breaking up with them. My step dad works 300 miles away and we see him very two weeks, but then, he and my mum are married. My uncle works in Belgium and he comes back to see his family every two weeks. I think it was harder for them when he lived in Massachusetts and they lived here, in London.

9. Peanuts

I don't think I have the patience and commitment that a LDR really requires, and it'd hurt me a lot to not be able to physically be with them. I don't think I'd ever try because it just seems so difficult to pull off.

10. Gallatin

Been there, done that, and would do it again, for the right person.

11. Nyanko

I've done it before, and although it was good for a few months we had major insecurities so it didn't work. If I'm dating someone for a few years and suddenly we have to be separated, I'd be fine with it, but other than that absolutely would not try it again.

12. unsuspecting

The only option i really have open to me is long distance relationships, because honestly there is very few gays in my area (three counting me haha), and i don't care for any of them. I find long distance relationships extremely hard, and shouldn't be used for toying around if you want to start a long distance relationship you have to make it a serious one, and commit to actually physically visiting each other. Trust is a major factor in LDR also.

I've been with my mate for almost half a year, it has been the hardest thing i have done, but it has also made me the happiest i've ever been.

13. Iamthewalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This question has come up a few times while I've been with my boyfriend and the answer has always been no. Work are currently trying to send me on a secondment over 10,000 miles away and there's no way I'll do it if he can't come with me. I think it's different if the distance is quite small and the seperation has a defined limit but outside of those conditions I don't think I could do it.

14. Copperflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the person I would be with at the time.

I was in an LDR for a year with my ex. With her it was extremely different as we were in different countries and she was a workaholic, meaning she could easily spend 14 hours at work and then continue at home. She didn't admit her problem and at the end, she had no time to communicate with me, and we had nothing to talk about because in her words, the only things she knew what to talk about was her work and she told me I didn't understand it do it wasn't even worth talking to me about it.

With my now girlfriend, we were LDR for about 4 months before moving in together, and before that we had lived under the same roof as well. With her it was something I could do, because we were able to see each other relatively often.

I don't think I could do the distance with someone who was mentally or emotionally unstable and didn't even admit it, as I have been there and it was not nice. I would also like to know how long it would last. Basically, I think I could do it but I would not have it as a primary option. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. gaygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who is in the military, I firmly believe that if you love someone enough you will figure out a way to make things work no matter the distance.

16. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

For me it all depends on how much of a distance

17. FruitFly

It depends on the relationship.

Someone I've just met? No. I think it's important to be close enough to build up a relationship where we're able to see each other on a regular enough basis that we can get to grips with the little quirks we each have. To get over the novelty factor quickly and discover whether there is more between us than lust and fulfilling a sexual need. I may be a little paranoid about this though, since previous LDRs that have progressed have resulted in the discovery that the picture you get of someone who you talk to on the internet/meet once every other month or so is not necessarily the whole picture, and sometimes the whole picture is just too much for you.

That and I become very absorbed in my studies/work, in a new long distance relationship it's difficult for me to disconnect from that and spend the time I should with my partner when they're not there. I know what I'm like, and I know that is not conductive to a long distance relationship, and that isn't fair on most people.

Someone I have been with for a while? That's different. It's difficult, and the relationship may be strained, but I'd be happier knowing we had a relationship base to work on than trying to build one up.

#37 FruitFly, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. Harve

I've survived four 27 hour bus journeys up and down to various parts of France now and shorter three hour train journeys are actually quite enjoyable and don't drag on at all. I'm not too intimidated by travelling long distances and I think I could if I had enough money to spare for painfully expensive train and coach journeys.

But I'd like to actually have known them in the first place. Fair enough others doing it, but to me, meeting someone online doesn't make sense to me.

19. aeva

When I was in my freshman year of college, my ex (male) and I did the long distance thing. We'd been dating for about 2 months when I had to leave. We were about a 5 hour drive apart, and would try to see each other once a month or so (he'd come stay with me for the weekend or vice versa), plus I was home during breaks. We talked on the phone every day, sometimes multiple times a day. We ended up dating for about a year and a half in total, the middle 9 months of which were long distance. We broke up because of serious addiction/mental health/abuse issues that were going on in his family at the time that he had to handle. It was by far the best relationship I've ever had (with guy or girl), and if I was still into guys I would go back to him in a heartbeat if he asked.

I definitely think that it can be very trying for a relationship, and you find out quickly if it will work. There's no doubt that it's rough, but if you can make it through then it is prove that your relationship is solid.

20. sugarcubeigloo

Sure! Why not?! Although, I've never been in one, I think it would be worth the try. :slight_smile: