1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Savage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by an0nchick, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Greendalehumans

Savage Love by Dan Savage - Seattle Columns - Savage Love - Dan Savage - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

Wtf.
    This is infuriating.
    Why especially a boy?

And
    ??
    She isn't a "dad/mom/whatever". She is a woman. Why should she have to continue to live as a man any longer?

This is just a disgusting way to say that.

I can't stand this man.

2. person54

There are and I could be totally wrong but I just don't think there's any trans trans activist with as much popularity/recognition as Savage, but that's just my guess, I don't really claim to be the most well informed person around on things like that.

3. Bradley

I never made such a claim.

I can handle people disagreeing with my opinions, in fact I expect it. When you attack that I have one though, as if I am so unqualified and uninformed to discuss the issue that the mere fact that I weigh in offends you...You better believe I'm going to challenge you on it.

4. person54

Here were some comments you posted before Pret Allez made his comment.

"If you have a kid in high school, and know he will be bullied because of your decision to begin a transition, maybe it is a good idea to wait a couple years."

"I think it's irresponsible and selfish to always make the assumption that no matter how it might affect others one should immediately undergo the procedure if they desire to live as the other gender."

I just think that's unfair to Pret. These statements above that you made appear an awful lot like claims about when a person should transition to me, apparently Pret and probably another member who agreed with him in a post afterwards.

5. Dylan

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is off topic a little, but... "The other gender" implies that there are two. There are more than that.

6. an0nchick

Yeah, kinda like race.

7. Bradley

I read my posts many times before posting so as not to offend. I guess I take it as a compliment that this is the only thing I'm being criticized for, something that I would never in a million years have thought could be offensive.

In response to the other comment, I'm prepared to defend my opinions, but if you attack the fact that I have one, expect me to challenge you.

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2012 at 12:15 PM ----------

If you are living as one gender...then live as a different gender...you are living as the "other gender" are you not? It makes no claims of right or wrong.

8. person54

As a psych major I know a bit about science but if I tried to tell a physics professor about physics I'd hope they'd tell me I don't have grounds to be making assertions about physics when I have no qualifications to be making claims about physics and thus my opinions about physics would be misguided, ill-informed and irrelevant since psych is too far removed even though it's a science. That's the kinda thing that I think Pret was trying to point out.

The whole living as the other gender thing is a not really accurate. Like IAmKal said there are more than two genders and the the, in "the other gender" implies there is a single other gender.

And going off of what Mykayla said earlier, trans people who are transitioning (at least in my case and some of my friends) feel that they are the gender they say they are before transitioning and in some cases felt like they were they're a girl/boy (dedpending on if they're trans male or trans female) that since as early as they can remember whether or not the world sees them for that and transition just helps to remove dysphoria and help the outside world see them for who they are, which in turn can help decrease dysphoria. So the idea that a person who was trans lives as a different gender now and wasn't being a girl/boy before transition might not be accurate in a lot of instances.

9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is based off of plethysmograph testing, which is not an apples to oranges comparison among men and women. When you can count the number of studies on bisexual arousal in the last decade on one hand, it's generally safe to assume the science is in its infancy in regards to understanding the issue.

Measuring activity in the brain should be more useful, but figuring out what the MRI is actually telling us is difficult.

10. an0nchick

Race and sexuality isn't black and white, as I'm now learning. Thanx. :grin:

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2012 at 09:34 PM ----------

So, for men and women, it's a combo of plethysmograph testing and MRI scans?
    Like my junk reacts to females and my mind does too? IDK? Very intriguing.

11. LailaForbidden

I just heard him speak in Bi The Way, which is a documentary. (and not a very good one at that). Anyway, he said that when someone who's in the 19-ish range tells him they're bisexual he's thinks 'yeah right. your lieing'. And he was sighting an inconclusive Northwestern study to support himself. Needless to say I wanted to strangle him. Asshole.

12. an0nchick

This is my personal theory: Everybody is bicurious. Maybe not bisexual, but bicurious.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2012 at 10:31 PM ----------

I agree with you. :slight_smile:

13. Eatthechildren

IhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavageIhateDanSavage:bang:

14. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to MRI tests, lesbians and straight men had very similar mental arousal patterns. Gay men and straight women had similar arousal patterns as well.

Bisexual women were included in a large parallel study and were found to have a different arousal pattern from gay and straight women.

Bisexual men haven't been studied as a group, although J Michael Bailey did a case study on one and confirmed that his mental arousal patterns were bisexual.

Here's a kinsey 6 gay male brain: (John Barrowman)
    Brain scan results - Making of Me: John Barrowman - BBC - YouTube
    and a bi male brain:
    BiBrain.mov - YouTube

The difference is very noticeable.

15. an0nchick

This actually helped. Thank you so much! Not to dis everyone else, but your response with science help. However, I've very scared...