1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to throw a dictionary at you!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LightningRider, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ticklish Fish

i thought this topic is about spelling nazi, not grammar nazi?! lol

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Normally I don't correct people's spelling and grammar online, but if you're going to complain about other people doing it...

"Don't" should be "doesn't".

"Peeve" is spelled with an "e" at the end.

Actually, his first sentence was just fine. A run-on isn't a long sentence; it's only a run on if it breaks grammatical rules to put more clauses into a single sentence, which his sentence didn't.

3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a communication major, grammar and spelling go hand and hand for me.

Grammar mistakes are just as bad as spelling ones.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2012 at 04:54 PM ----------

Yeah, but it just doesn't look right, and I've always been taught not to write that way.

Though, my communication professors teach us to write in a more short "to the point" style.

#23 Mike92, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I've been there.

5. Oregontinker

I would feel terrible if someone did not want to post on EC because they were afraid that their post was going to be graded on spelling and grammar.

6. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm glad someone else understands this besides me.

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^^^^ this, for sure.

8. FunnyMonkey

Ditto to what Oregontinker said.

9. curlycats

....i was about to say that i would hope people wouldn't be so easily intimidated by other people's opinion, but i think it's obvious that that's not the case. especially given the feelings expressed on this forum re: other matters... opps. :eusa_doh:

so +1 Oregontinker. :slight_smile:

but while we're on the topic, i would like to point out that i don't capitalize the beginning of my sentences or the personal pronoun "i" totally by choice and i don't give a damn if somebody else thinks i lack intelligence for it. :thumbsup:

...unless you're my supervisor or something. then i care.

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

My spelling and grammar is fine, it's just that sometimes.. MeH jus can nat beeee assssed!!! so chill aaattt yas got biggaaa tingz to worry abooot brattaaahs!

11. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's even worse if you love English, and you also write very often as a hobby during most of your free time. It can be very annoying since you tend to be even more aware when it comes to other people's writing. I have the habit of always being on the lookout for bad spelling, and silently correcting it as I read. My mind is just wired that way.

Now, I don't necessarily think that people are stupid if they can't spell correctly, and it is a different story if a person has a true reason for having trouble with grammar or spelling (and I'm also not connecting dyslexia or any type of reading disability to being stupid.) However, if they intentionally go out of their way to misspell words, and it's almost painfully obvious, I do cringe a little while I 'decode' what they were actually trying to say.

But like somene else said, I would much rather a person who really needs help/advice to post on EC anyway, regardless of their spelling and grammar. :slight_smile:

12. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My native language is Spanish, which is a lot easier to spell than English, and it really annoys me when my coworkers ask me very basic questions that anyone who grew up speaking Spanish should have been able to answer on their own by age 9... and I work with professional linguists and philologists!

13. FunnyMonkey

If you're doing it on purpose it does annoys me.

It's even harder for someone with a reading disability to try and understand what they are trying to say.

But as long as you try is all I ask for. :icon_wink so don't be afraid to post:icon_bigg

14. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow... :eusa_doh:

15. ameliawesome

absolutely, but i am (sometimes) forgiving. some people truly can't translate what's in their minds into written form. my mom and my sister are both horrible spellers and their writing skills aren't spectacular, but in person they are very intelligible and clearly educated. however, i cannot forgive anyone who types only in internet shorthand and/or completely ignorant nonsense.

16. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Tell me about it. Mine is the same way.

17. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can forgive mistakes when they aren't intended. Simply because I make mistakes myself, and I don't believe in perfection. If it's an intended error though I have to restrain myself. mistakes are not a bad thing, intention butchering of any language is something that irritates me to no end.

18. silkfrog1292

I second this. Though good grammar and spelling is to be appreciated, it's not like babies are going die if we spell "tobaco" wrong.

Also, this:
    [YOUTUBE]Stephen Fry Kinetic Typography - Language - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

19. Silver Sparrow

I think there is a time and a place for everything. As an example, when I type on my iPod, I often write in text-speak. It makes it much quicker; so I can actually get an understandable message to a friend in two minutes with some abbreviations. When I'm writing for school or speaking in a formal setting-proper grammar and spelling all the way. If I'm chatting with a friend, I do use slang and improper vocabulary. I have been known to say "funner" (i.e. more fun) on occasion, as well as using the word "like" in the wrong context. However, I am working on breaking those bad habits.
    Unlike some people have mentioned, I am perfectly okay with intentional spelling and grammar errors. However, I agree that there should be a reason for those errors. The writer should not be too lazy to check their work.
    Examples I'm okay with: A character using "ain't" for a purpose. A person misspelling a word in a text or informal email. Slang in casual conversations. Improper grammar because it makes the story work better (e.g. the sentence fragments I am using).
    Examples I am not okay with: Authors being lazy. Informal speech in a formal situation.

20. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well when I see my halfbrother's sister doing it... it is so annoying! She capitalizes every word, puts Yhu and add extra letters... her grammar is horrible too!
    There's a few people who put the effort and I know they aren't the best speller but I can stand it.