1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have your parents ever suspect you were gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Isabelle

My parents have no idea I'm a lesbian since i cover it up with guys

2. Colours

Well over the last five-ish years, my parents have asked me when I was getting a girlfriend a few times. And sometimes they'd be like 'Or are you into guys? You're not, right??' But I don't know whether they suspected anything... Although the fact that they asked me that kind of gives it away.

Back in september when I told my parents I had a boyfriend, my father said he had suspected that because I had been seeing this guy almost daily during the months before that. My mother never thought I could be into guys, not even when my father told her that he thought I was dating this guy. He barely believed me when I said we had only been dating for a week and a half.

It's odd because they say your mother knows it all, well with my parents it was the other way around, kind of.

But apart from that, I have no idea.

3. Greendalehumans

I don't think my parents have ever suspected it. I'd be surprised if they had, but also a bit relieved. At least they would've had some time to get used to the idea.

4. SheWhoHasNoName

I think my mom suspects because i haven't had a boyfriend since the 7th grade.

5. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oddly, my mother asked me a few times when I was a teen. At 13, then 17, then 19. She recognized it before I did, but she always asked with such horror and this awful cloud of doom hanging over her head that the cloud alone scared me away. I was nowhere NEAR out to myself at the time, so I always find it interesting that she picked up on it. And, no, her response to coming out was no better for it.

6. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

My mom has been asking my older sister. She figures that with five kids, chances are one of us are and I'm the likely choice. She has also stated that it would probably be the worse thing in the world so I think she is just hoping that by not actually asking me about it, it won't be true.

7. JakeHas

I think my mom has suspected before I told her, and I thought I had hid it well from her! Well, I should've thought about that factor that she is trained to work with children, went to college for it, works in CPS currently... Yeah, she suspected it.

8. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was in elementary,since back then I was very weak,unathletic
    and quite afraid to fight back.I moved during my early teens and started
    being sporty and confident,no one ever suspected again until I started coming
    out.

#28 legitawesome17, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  9. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

My mom asked me when she looked at the history on the computer after i used it the night before(i didnt know how to delete it) she was crying when she asked me if i was gay i sad no i wasnt my dad never asked me but either way he knows because i told him and my step mom

10. Vivid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mom wondered about whether I was because of the way I discussed rights issues and the like.

11. Joshua

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a teenager, my mom approached me once and advised me to be careful about the way I talk. She had "absolutely no doubt" that I was straight, but she didn't want the extended family to get the wrong idea. So ironic and sad. I never dated girls or even tried to act interested, so I have no idea what the reasoning was there :lol: . Wishful thinking, I guess.

When parents frame the question so negatively, how are we to give an honest answer and feel that they really care?

12. justgowithit

Just yesterday...it was the worst! My mom was looking at my school club list so I asked her where the Gay-Straight Alliance met and she asked me if I was LGBTQ. In front of my dad and everything. I'm sure I was bright red. I just said, "I'm only 13 for God's sake! I don't know!" And it's true, I don't know at all. But I think she was overstepping boundaries by asking...

13. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents have never said a word to me about relationships/sexuality my entire life. I don't think they'd know how to, and I don't think I'd know how to respond so it works out I guess.

I can imagine my mom may have her suspicions that something is up, though. It's hard to tell.

14. Roman

Roman Guest

Same as my parents! They seem to live in a world where their children can't possibly know anything about sex until the honeymoon of their heterosexual marriage :lol:

15. HalfInsane

I think they had an inkling when I said, "Hey, I'm gay".

Seriously, though... they never suspected it. Especially NOT my father; I could have come home with a buzz cut, wearing a rainbow-plaid tuxedo, and a tattoo of a vagina on my bicep and he wouldn't have suspected it; because he wouldn't have wanted to... even now, 6 years later, he still refuses to really accept that I am gay.

16. introvert

introvert Guest

Nah, but my dad saw a gay website on my computer. Didn't say anything though lol.

17. FunnyMonkey

I think my mom suspect I'm gay as I have never dated anyone before, and I'm kinda of flamboyant. I would be more shock if she never thought it could be a possibility.

My best friends Mom ask if I was gay and when I told her I was not. She told be she's okay with it and not to lie in her house. Then she said it's okay to be gay come out when you are ready. lol

18. hardhearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My parents divorced when I was 17 and my father isn't in my life, but I don't think he knew. He was also the parent that told us that "gay" wasn't acceptable under his roof and would have sent us to straight camp... so if he suspected it, I'm sure he ignored it.

As for my mom, she'd be fine with it, but I'm pretty adamant about hiding it from her, which maybe sounds stupid... but I have work to do on accepting myself before I tell her. She's always said she would love all of us the same no matter who we love. She might know. I've never been in a serious relationship and she knows I'm a supporter of the lgbtq+ community... she just doesn't know I'm necessarily a part of it. I won't be surprised if it turns out she always knew, but it's also possible she'll have no idea.

19. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My uncle knew because when i told him i had something to tell him, he just guessed it. He seems ok with it now. I think my family knows, they avoid conversations about girls( they do the exact opposite with my other cousins.)