1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoos/piercings with jobs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WilliamM, Dec 2, 2012.

1. i went to my job interview with my lip piercing in and my tunnels and still got the job. i dressed smartly though. so maybe that helped. admittidly i do only work in retail but still! companies do hire people if they think they are suitable for the job, they just told me i would have t take out my piercings, which i said i would. as long as i got a job i wasnt really fussed what i had t do to earn some money.

2. MixedNutz

There are always exceptions, plus your a cute female, you ARE the exception!

I think it does depend on what job you are doing for.

3. Meropspusillus

I think it's silly to make those sort of things comparable to tattoos; nobody was born with piercings or tattoos. It is certainly within any business's right to tell its employees how to dress, and it really depends on the business. I've seen plenty of waiters with tattoos, probably because their managers didn't mind them.

4. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

If i had to i would take out my piercings i already had to take out my lebret for school but i still dont agree with it since i would of been cleaning anyway not dealing with food and also working the register.
    My opinion is biased on this subject though.

5. PurpleCrab

Silly, is it?

A uniform can be worn at work and taken off at home, so can general clothes, make-up and so on. Piercings can be taken off for work.

Somebody old can't undo their age, somebody too fat or too slim can hardly change their bulk for the job,

And somebody with tattoos can hardly take them off for work.

What is wrong is physical discrimination; the assumption that the clean look only comes with no visible tattoo, the assumption that clients might be scared of somebody tattooed, or just a plain dislike from the employer.

It's also wrong that individuals still have to restrict their tattooing habits in the fear of not getting a job if they have visible ones, instead of just being themselves and getting that little rainbow with wings at the back of their wrist. The society shouldn't be like that just because some people don't like tattoos.

I understand what you're saying though; there are jobs that do accept visible tattoos and it's more appropriate for tattooed people to work those jobs; also, my little ideals won't change the world all by themselves. Let's just hope that more and more people get tattooed on visible places and that workplaces have no choice left but to accept tattoos.

6. LightningRider

I could see taking piercings out for sanitation reasons.
    I could see covering up an offensive tattoo.

But I think people need to get the hell off their high horses and over themselves and realize basically everyone has tattoos these days.
    They're not bad. They don't make you a thug. They don't make you a bad person.
    THEY ARE ART.
    I don't see how a rose, loved ones name or something equally as inoffensive can be taken offence at and would need to be covered.
    "Oh yes, sorry, I just have my grandmothers name on my arm, sorry, let me cover that because someone might get offended that I want to show I love and cherish her to the point I would have her name permanently written on my body."

It's like if I turned to someone and told them I didn't like them because of the type of socks they were wearing.
    Not my place to tell them not to wear them.
    If I don't like them, I don't need to comment.
    Just live my life. Go about my day.
    Cause it's not going to affect my life at all what type of socks this person is wearing.
    I don't even have to look at the socks.
    Just make sure I wear socks I like.

Sorry.
    I like analogies and this topic close to my heart. :slight_smile:

7. castle walls

A person's race is not a personal choice; unlike tattoos and piercings. Which is one of the reasons employers can easily avoid hiring individuals with visible tattoos or certain piercings. You are not born with tattoos. When you decide to get a tattoo you are making a choice and should be aware that that choice (like all choices) has consequences. Those consequences can include lowering your employment options down the line. I'm not saying that it's right but if you decide to get a tattoos or certain piercings you need to be aware of the consequences.

From a Forbes article
    There is also this article
    Due to the employment issues many people are having due to their tattoos, some people are having them removed. This seems to be increasing and can be read about here

I don't mean to be doom and gloom. Just because you have a tattoo or certain piercing doesn't mean that you'll never find a job. Although it may be more difficult, there are plenty of businesses that will hire an individual with tattoos or piercings. In some job fields, there won't be an issue at all and having tattoos or certain piercings may even benefit the individual. Overall, I'd have to agree with this message from a Money Watch article

Just to be clear, I don't hate tattoos or piercings. People should be able to do what they want with their bodies (barring anything seriously illegal that affects others). I just believe that people really need to think about the future when they make decisions, especially when it comes to visible body art

8. PurpleCrab

... well, it's sad that society discriminates that much. Sad and wrong, so very wrong. I wish everybody could feel free to be themselves and show it by whichever way they mean to (as long as it harms nobody).

I think I'll leave it at that.

9. brocub

Yeah, but you chose to get a tattoo and piercings. The only way it could be discriminatory is if it's part of your culture.

I'm someone with a tattoo on my left inner forearm. At my old job, I had to cover it up with bandages because I didn't know how to cover it properly with make-up. I understood why (we get a lot of older customers coming in who may be driven away by body art) and respect what I had to do. It really wasn't out of my way to do it. In my current job, they let me have free range because it's a hospital for a university and there are lots of young people coming in and out. Are people offended by my tattoo here? No. So I can let it be visible (although most times the office is really cold so I wear a jacket anyways).

Discrimination against tattoos and piercings is not the same as discrimination against gender, race, sexual orientation, age, nationality, ability/disability status, or anything that isn't within the realm of your control. If you choose to have body art, you choose to take the consequences of the social stigma against it. Will things be better in the future as the next generation takes a hold of industry and opinions change? Probably. Until then, suck it up.

10. GayforGuys

From my experience restaurant wise, there's always been at least one person with piercings, tattoos on the other hand were covered up. I'd imagine it comes to down to individual employers most of the time, same as with a uniform.

11. jimL

No one is owed a job. You have to earn it and conform to the company wishes.

Business owners have the right to place restrictions on their employees.

This "is" the real world we live in.

It's amazing to see all the complaining after I recently took a work related trip to five poverty stricken countries......poverty like most of us have never seen. Poverty so dire that people would cut off a finger to get a job.

Most of us have it better than we know...........

12. Onyxknight

I agree that the company/business reserves the right to dictate how you dress on the job. Off the job, not so much, although there are several businesses that will fire you for something you did while you weren't at work (never had it happen, but read those posters that are generally up in the break room.) When you're on the clock, working, you represent that company, and in order to cater to the clientele base they do, there may be a dress code that excludes piercings, tattoos, certain hair colors, or clothing. My last job required me to remove my tongue ring while working. I simply got a spacer and put that in, because it's less noticeable, and they were OK with that (although an older gentleman called me out on it one day, saying "I know what those are used for." I had to try hard not to bust out laughing.) But it was a Christian-based company, and I had to follow the rules. It's all about appearances. It sucks, yeah, but that's how it is.

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2012 at 12:45 PM ----------

^X2! Absolutely not the same.

13. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well based on that logic you could make the argument that if you choose to be openly not straight then they could then not hire you b/c of that, b/c it's yr. choice to be open abt it, yeah?