Would you still be you if you weren't queer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Delta, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Would you still be you if you weren't queer?

1. Yes, I would.

41 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. No, I wouldn't.

57 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I'm a lazy person who is loud and crazy sometimes. :slight_smile:
    Nothing will ever change that part.

2. Peanuts

No, because a lot of the experiences I've been through have revolved around struggling with my sexuality or feelings for girls. Ultimately, those have taught me a lot about myself and life, so without my sexuality, I would not have learned all the things that shaped who I am now. I am more than who I like, but it also is an important part of my life. I can't ignore it because without it, I'd be losing a big part of my human experience here on Earth.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think so.

Asexuality isn't that important to my identity, because it's more about what I'm not than what I am. But to me it seems that sexual people tend to spend a lot of time and energy on their sexuality (regardless of orientation) so if I had a sexuality, that would shape me quite a bit.

Some specific things I can think about:

* I would have to deal with a lot more feelings about the sexual abuse I suffered. I have the option, because I don't feel a need for sex, to just avoid sexual things as much as possible. If I did have sexual feelings, I'd have to either suffer with not fulfilling them, or face my fears and do the hard work of figuring out a way to have sex without getting hurt. (Since I was abused by both genders, this would be true either way, but worse if I was heterosexual because the male abuser had more impact on me.)

* I would understand some things that are totally foreign to me. I wouldn't have to work so hard at writing characters with sexual desires, because I'd have felt what they're feeling. (Even if they have a different orientation/gender, I'd be a lot closer to getting it.) Currently, I need to be very careful and put a lot of thought into how to portray sexual feelings. Then again, I might've ended up writing sappy romances!

* I would struggle a lot more with my poor social skills. It seems to me that romantic relationships are one of the most complicated kinds of social interactions, and even many non-autistics find them confusing. For autistics, it's even worse. I already have trouble figuring out how to make friends and get along with people, but if I was sexual I'd need to figure out dating as well.

4. TraceElement

No. I was born this way. Athough my life SUCKS but... but not being gay? That would be like saying a mattress without filling is whole.

5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

No. It isn't what defines me, but its definitely a key part of my personality and who I am.

6. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nah it wouldn't really change anything for me maybe somethings when I was younger but not how I am now.

7. Being gay is a very small part of who I am, but it has had such an impact on my experience of the world that I couldn't help but be shaped by it.

8. Army of One

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Still be just myself. If I were straight, I'd still be single and independent. Since basically everyone I talk to doesn't know I'm gay, I wouldn't be treated any differently.

9. brocub

No. I wouldn't be the same person. My experiences have pretty much revolved around my experience as a gay man and have shaped how my life has turned out so far. My distrust of most people, my putting my faith into one person at a time only to fall for them and need to run out of fear, my depression and PTSD, the reason I'm living with these roommates of mine now (despite that I could just as easily have lived with my friends if I didn't feel like it would be uncomfortable for them to deal with).

Last year I got a taste of who I truly am as a person. That got :***: up because of the PTSD, but what I learned is that I'm supposed to be a fun-loving party-animal who finds the good in everyone and is fiercely loyal to my friends. Now I'm just the shell I was in high school all over again and trying to get out of it by actively taking care of myself and being conscious of my thoughts and how they influence my life. Can I go back to my old friends? No. Can I try and make new friends? Well, I'm damn well trying.

10. dano22

dano22 Guest

This is the same for me. Well said.

11. yeah im more than just gay. im a big fat gay.
    nah kidding aside. i think i would. id still be the same awkward shy person, i would just get hit on by the right gender for once lol (as im femme women dont notice me). a different sexuality wouldnt change my personality i dont think.