1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows that made an impact on you.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Nov 19, 2012.

1. speedracing22

Are You Afraid of the Dark - Watched it as a kid and now I love horror movies.

2. Faden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's trite, but I'll say The L Word.

There are lots of shows that have had an impact on me but The L Word was the one that first showed me unapologetic lesbians and let me believe for 42 minutes at a time that everyone in the world was queer. For almost a decade it's brought me closer to many of my female friends (gay and straight) and colors happy memories of time spent lolling around on the couch with a good friend who has since passed away.

3. Markio

When I was in college I began watching Ellen and Queer as Folk online. It was the first time I could watch shows where gay people were the main characters, and I'd say that impacted me in the way I no longer had to rely on my straight ally friends for exposure to queer culture.

4. MusicIsLife

Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sherlock and Supernatural.

In different ways they have all taught me the values of my own inner strength, the importance of family, and standing up for what is right, even if no one else believes you.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Glee. I was finally shown that there are others like me out there! It was a real wake up call. It may have saved my life.

6. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sherlock and Person of Interest. Both are written fantastically and have influenced my writing style.

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

The Golden Girls

This show will always hold a special place in my heart, I started watching it at a really low point in my life, and they really helped me through it. The way that these women don't apologize for who they are, and all the positive qualities about 4 old ladies, made me a lot more confident in who I am. I've always been a Dorothy type of person and her character made me take pride in who I am. And the fact that they are very pro-LGBT, just makes them that much sweeter. *sigh* I love the Golden Girls :astonished:

8. Harve

That last episode was AMAZING.

[YOUTUBE]eNwARV9tPUw[/YOUTUBE]

Why don't they all end like this. Why.

9. Average Joe

Yeah, I remember watching it like it was yesterday. I almost cried.

The other show that comes to mind is the finale of first season of QAF U.S. with this amazing song playing in the background.

#49 Average Joe, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. regime

regime Guest

I just watched that video of the Six Feet Under Finale...I want to see that show...very interesting way to end the show for sure..and to use that song i love Breathe Me..im assuming its not still airing on cable....

GAWWWW!! Can not even explain my freak-out when i read that line lol...I LOVE SPASHLEY...they were so cute and very iconic for me that show had my head spinning..and its sooo gud..i miss it..i want to watch it again..Degrassi..LOVE IT..the drama in that freaking show was so moving..and you could see yourself in at least one of the characters you know..but kinda not...I'm not Canadian, but they sure do know how to make a good freaking show!

Glee as well as Lost, Prison Break..and How i met your mother <3 impacted me as well..

#50 regime, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  11. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    YES. 100% agreed. It's funny how a tv show can have an impact on a person like that, and make them feel a little less alone. Those shows did pave the way more for the ones we have now which also show gay/lesbian couples.

They have South of Nowhere where you can download all the seasons/episodes on iTunes, if you're able to do that! That's what I've done, and wow, the memories that came back when I re-watched the first season were amazing. :grin: I miss it so much, too. It really makes me realize in retrospect that that show truly was so good and informative for me, even if I didn't realize it at the time. I haven't really seen a fictional tv show in the States that can compare closely to it, or to the 'Spashley' couple -- or at least not a well-known show focusing specifically on young questioning girls and teenagers.

12. regime

regime Guest

Very Well Said!

13. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    House.

Words cannot describe how much I love this show. I especially loved the episodes dealing with specific themes such as religion and morality. So so brilliant.

14. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow and Tara. <3
    Degrassi High, as well. (transgender student Adam introduced.)

15. leer

Queer As Folk uk version the show made me realize it`s acceptable to be gay in today's word

16. Jim

Jim

Sherlock changed me a great deal. I loved every moment of it.
    Supernatural made me more open minded, and influenced my interests in the occult.
    (Not sure if this counts because it's a movie but..) Thor made got me even more interested in Norse Mythology.

17. sunnii

cant really explain why but

friends
    laguna beach
    the hills
    the sopranos