1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Sandy...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Oct 29, 2012.

1. GreenRaven

yeeeeep. starting to see some horizontal rain with some of these gusts now. my fox5 weather app says we're facing squalls between 2-3pm, woooo almost there! ahaha

2. everett

Only 14 mins to go then!

3. prism

I'm in lower Manhattan. Just a bit of rain and wind, people are definitely overreacting.

4. everett

Squalls are going off now and also, have you seen brooklyn, because its flooded from what I saw.

5. Greendalehumans

Yeah I'm making sure all my stuff is charged so that I'm not too bored if/when the power goes out :slight_smile: it's really windy and rainy right now, but it's gonna get worse tonight :/ no school tomorrow!

6. Melissa

South Jersey here! Sandy is beating down on my house as I'm typing this. We have flooding and trees down already... And the damn thing is still 200 miles off the coast. :bang:

7. FunnyMonkey

The roads in my town in Vermont are being shut down at 3pm. So I am here hunkered down in my bedroom until it pass. No rain here yet but very calm here still, just gave it a few hrs.

8. hope everyone is safe :|

all you folk in the us are just talking like so calmly. wow.

i mind when i was in florida a few years back and there was a hurricane i was freaking the fuck out :|

9. toms7

i hope and wish everyone will be fine!!!! have faith and stay safe!

10. FunnyMonkey

@flyinhernikes This my 4th hurricane you get use to them.

11. GreenRaven

truefax. i remember when andrew hit the east coast and essentially the worst part came straight at the city i was living in at the time. granted he was only a tropical storm by that point but still...scary stuff when you're little...but like FM said when you get enough of them you get used to it, plus you know what to do which helps you stay calmer.

my phone is keeping me updated for our city, which is nice. just waiting for dad to get home cause he went to work today, but they closed early (which is amazing cause they like...never close for anything) so he's on his way home now.

12. Gallatin

Having lived in Florida my entire life, I've been through my fair share of hurricanes. Make sure you've got enough food and water, good luck, and stay safe!

13. FunnyMonkey

@alex2020 I was in FL for hurricane Wilma 2005 All you really need lots water food and candles.

14. Harve

I think there is a tendency to perceive these events as an overreaction. It's the hurricane with the biggest diameter of all time: it's going to affect a lot of people and yet it will only endanger a reasonably small (but still notable) minority. So a lot of people are going to be thinking "what was all the fuss about?". But let's not call it an overreaction before it's even properly hit.

Being in Scotland I'm obviously safe, and the weather over here has been quite benign for the last month. We did have multiple spawns of Hurricane Nadine come over Britain at the end of last September, but that mainly affected southern England. It's certainly been a calm and sunny autumn after such a wet and dull summer!

15. When I heard about hurricane sandy I though of sandy from sponge-bob.

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well I woke up this morning to the thud of a gigantic tree that's been across the street from where I live my whole life being uprooted and thrown into the street by the cyclone's winds...the Fire Department has been out there chainsawing it for an hour. It will be a miracle if the power lines don't go down at some point.

The storm hasn't really hit even hit NYC yet. It's supposed to really start up for us up here this evening. Do be careful! :icon_sad:

[​IMG]

The real threat to Manhattan is supposed to be the storm surge that's expected right at high tide. If it happens as currently projected, this could bury parts of Lower Manhattan and flood the NYC Subway system.

Lower Manhattan is mostly low-lying reclaimed land, and all the power lines and utilities are underground in Manhattan too.

Hurricane Sandy May Push Record Storm Surge Into Manhattan - SFGate
    Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Superstorm Sandy intensifying, bringing record storm surges | Weather Underground
    Frankenstorm: Why Hurricane Sandy Will Be Historic | TIME.com

If you live anywhere in the five boroughs of NYC, check the map to find your evacuation zone and center.

If you live in Zone A, you should definitely think about getting out...
    [​IMG]

#36 Rakkaus, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  17. MixedNutz

In northern NJ.... Little rain but wind is picking up a lot.

I heard garden state parkway is starting to be shut down

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I have some very good friends in Jersey and Massachusetts. Sincerely hoping everyone affected by this stays safe and makes it out alright.

19. GreenRaven

i heard that too on the news, that's crazy.

i just saw on my phone that around 8pm we're gonna be getting around 49mph winds here :confused: eesh that's high wind. if we don't lose power before that...it's definitely going out then haha

20. MixedNutz

Our power keeps flashing, my bfs cousin in a the beach suburbs have lost it for about an hour now